Half Ironman

2»

Comments

• www.monsterracing.net this one is new to this year 21st August.
  • fat buddha wrote (see)
    if you want flat and close to Wales then the Cotswold 113 at Cirencester is about the best - 1st running is this w/e so await feedback.

I'm doing this as my first HIM so may even feel compelled to do a race report image

Like you Marts I thought long and hard about which one to choose - this one is near my parents so thought I would have a chance to practice on the route (nice thought, but haven't had the time) but at least it will be easy to drop the kids off at my parents, so my OH and I enjoy a weekend of triathlon and camping - AND I get a full support crew on the race day as well!!!

• Race Report!

Cotswold 113 (Middle Distance)

This is the first year this event has been run - I thought long and hard as to whether I should enter this as my first in case there were any teething problems, as although I am a big boy now I just didn't want any added stress to increase the risk of stomach upsets on race day... However, right from the off the communication from the race organiser was superb. He posted regular updates on the website, with details of a nearby campsite, a local pub (who had agreed a special 'carb meal' for the Saturday night) and helpful stuff like that. With a few weeks to go they even arranged a recce - with a guided trip around one bike loop and a run lap, just to show people where food stops would be etc (unfortunately I was competing in a sprint tri so couldn't go but thought it was a nice gesture for a middle distance event).

Anyway - race day was Sunday and I was worried about the predicted mini-heat wave set to scorch the earth during my impending struggle, but at 3.30am when the campsite started to rise there was low cloud on the lake and drizzle in the air. Transition was well organised, then all down to the lake side for a last minute race brief. This was a bit of a shambles (although I found out later that the organiser had received news at 10pm on Sat night that the intended route had to be changed due to low water, so even he didn't quite know where the course went, but did try and explain it to everyone). Most people around me were happy enough - we weren't going to be out in front so just decided to follow the feet in front of us!

• Came out of the water a few minutes sooner than I expected so pleased with that - lovely clear water, nice and warm so no worries with the swim leg. Smug jog into t1.

Bike course was very flat, smooth, quiet (traffic-wise) and all-in-all very enjoyable for a non-biker. Was surprised with my time of 3 hours, although not quick, got off feeling pretty fresh (so probably could have gone quicker). The run was a 3 looper - and after lap 1 all was fine. During the second lap the promised break in the weather appeared and suddenly there wasn't a cloud in the sky and runners were reduced to a cramp-induced shuffle and a lot of moaning at the feed station! I wasn't too bad at the end of lap 2 but did start to struggle a bit on the final 4 miles. 

However, finished in 5 hrs 50 which was faster than I anticipated, and had a really enjoyable day. There did seem to be a few complaints from various corners - the race, being so flat, appeared to have attracted a lot of speedy guys; but the organiser was the first to admit afterwards that some lessons had already been learnt and asked for competitors to provide some feedback in the coming weeks through the website. 

My OH had a great time, she felt well looking after in a great location with tea/coffe/burger van, an equipment stand and other things further around the lake to keep her occupied so in all a great day. Thanks to everyone who helped in the last 6 months - I learnt that you need some very sympathetic friends and family to put time aside to train for something like this.

• MustTriHarder - I was on the bike feed station which later turned into an impromptu water station on the run.

Glad you enjoyed  it and many thanks for the feedback.  It is on my home turf and I am hoping to do it next year.  The only concern for me is the bit on the run where you were on a very narrow path with runners coming at you from the other way. Not sure I would like that, but I have got 12 months to get used to it image

• GavoGavo ✭✭✭

MTH - I had much the same experience but took 13 mins longer than you.  The main complaint I've seen is the shameless drafting and the organiser is trying to tweak the course next year to minimise that.

Schmunks, that bit of the run wasn't that bad and none of the competitors that I saw were hogging the track so you can get through and it was only a few metres.  It would be good for that also to be tweaked out but I don't know if there is an alternative path.

• I saw you with a priate top on when I finished my bike leg (missed you on the first time through - must have been too deep in concentration trying to negotiate plucking a water bottle out of the air whilst still keeping control of my trusty steed!)

So thanks for the water - the bit of the run with 2-way traffic was ok, but hopefully that may be something that could be avoided next year?

Well worth doing it though - my parents live fairly locally so I hope to get out on the bike route a bit in the autumn when I am visiting as they provide a great child-minding service (and the water was much nicer to swim in than where I normally practice). Looking forward to doing it again already... Might be good timing for a warm-up for Outlaw???

• Slight x-post - the bit above was in answer to Schmunkee!!!

Gavo - I did see you wearing a pirate top on the bike, did it disappear for the run as I didn't see you on the run course or at the end? I did notice quite large groups of bikes going through but they were waaay ahead of me (always going in the other direction) and around where I was it was much more spread out and legal!

• Full boar is a good middle distance as a first, it's cheap £60 and there's no cut of times so no pressure.