my bike is making a funny noise

Hey up,

Martha is making a funny noise. I though initially it was the chain rubbing on the front derailuer but its DEFINATELY not that!

To try and explain its when the left pedal goes from vertical to horizontal, from 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock it grates. It makes the same noise when pedalling backwards aswell. I first noticed the noise when putting effort in yesterday (but thought it  was the chain).

Any ideas what could be causing the noise, and what I have to do to fix it?

Ta muchly

Comments

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    bottom bracket bearings (probably)
    chainring bolts
    pedal spindle

and that's assuming the noise is from the front mech end and not the rear

take it to the local bike shop and ask them to check it over
  • Half_PintHalf_Pint ✭✭✭

Sorry yes its the front end. Than

Getting a little bit miffed - only got the bike in Jan and had the wheels replaced under warranty. Is it normal for bearings and things to wear out this fast? Am I doing something wrong? I do go out in all weathers but flipping heck my car cost nearly the same as my bike (cheap car not expensive bike) and the bike seems to be one thing after the other!

I clean it with soapy water and occasionally a degreaser then re-grease with chain oil. I also spray all the moving parts occasionally with gt85 or similiar/

• Half Pint - I had that noise last week - something had come loose. Local bike shop sorted it in a few minutes - no drama. image
    it's probably something very simple that without getting hands on and having a look see we can't diagnose.

bearings don't wear out that quickly normally but there are times when they can if they aren't set up correctly. if it's an external bearing system, then they tend not to last as long as internal. the quality of product can also make a difference.

generally speaking you should have the bike checked over (or DIY) after a month or so from new as bolts can tend to work a little loose in use due to vibration if they haven't been set with Loctite or similar on setup.

and you can often find the noise isn't coming from where you think it is to compound matters. I was convinced a noise I had was coming from the cranks - turns out it was the seatpost!!

get the LBS to have a look - or if you have an experienced biker close to you, get them to take a look
  • Same here, thought my BB was knackered. Turned out it was my rear hub!
  • Half_PintHalf_Pint ✭✭✭

visited LBS he was really busy so all he could offer was he thought it was probably bottom bracket.

He did say it was fine to ride though - what do people think?

I am supposed to be going to southampton tomorrow (60miles) and then back on sat. Do you guys reckon this will be ok?

I am not sure just worried about making the problem worse. Any help would be appreciated

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Have you tightened everything up that tightens up ?   That solves quite a few problems.   Otherwise if there is no noticeable play (movement that shouldn't be there - you can rock the cranks side to side) I'd chance it - if there is play I'd probably not.  
    if it is the BB, then it should be OK to ride, albeit noisily. and do as pops says - check for play.

if it's just noise at this stage it will get progressively worse so the quicker you can get it fixed the better

if it has external bearings, these can be replaced easily; if it's an internal BB, the whole unit needs replacing as these tend to be sealed units.

both can be a DIY job if you have the tools and knowhow

get it booked in for a full check asap but you're fine for riding for the time being I reckon.