Bin men, or not.

2»

Comments

• Sounds like Seren might be in Caerphilly BBC having done quite a numnber of recycling promotion projects in wales.  We have green bin for general every fortnight - garden waste and cardbord in a orange topped bin on the alternate weeks to general and recycling every week including food waste

I am more than happy. especially with the kerbside sorting as in general kerbside sorting gives better quality or recyclate bails than the high tech plants and is WRAPs and therfore the governments prefewrred option

• We live in a teeny flat  in a communal block- each flat has a wheelie bin for general rubbish and there are communal wheelie bins for cans, paper, some plastics and glass. We also have two food waste bins (with matching kitchen caddies). The food waste is collected weekly, the recycling/general rubbish is collected on alternate weeks, so effectively fortnightly.

We walk the rest of the plastics, cardboard and tetrapaks down to a local carpark where there are bins that take these. We probably do this about once a fortnight.

Our 'normal' bin takes ages to fill up and we've never filled the wheelie bin before it is collected. We generate little food waste as we're very careful with our food shopping...if there is left over curry (unlikely with my hubby in the house, it would get eaten for lunch or something in the next few days), but we fill our caddy up about once a week (mostly teabags and banana skins!) and thus is emptied into the main food bin once a week unless the weather is very hot, in which case we might do it slightly more regularly. We've got the tiniest kitchen, but still manage to have 4 bins (1 x normal, 3 x recycling) and the caddy without them getting in the way. As food waste no longer goes in the main bin we have no problem with smells, maggots, foxes etc.

The only minor grumble is that the flats could do with another plastics wheelie bin as that is the one that gets filled up - mostly with milk containers.

I have no problem with the collections as they are now, and see no benefit to us moving to a weekly collection (as long as food waste remains weekly).

Erika

• Sounds like I have a good deal.

I get my butler to do it.image

• I don't quite know what you're chucking out MM but I have a family of four and my general waste bin wouldn't fill in a month!

• yes Maddy Caerphilly CBC

I love the fact that all recycling can go in the one wheelie bin and it gets sorted elsewhere.............so you can just dump everything in there...............so glad that they are weekly as it amazes me how much recycling we manage to produce as a household..........its full every week.image

• Our normal waste is emptied weekly, paper and cardboard monthly and a box for plastics (only types 1 and 2), glass and aluminium cans fornightly. We also have a brown bin for garden waste (only small stuff, no branches and no raw food waste).

This means that all steel cans have to go in the domestic waste as they cannot be recycled locally and all peelings etc which used to go in the compost bin now go in the normal waste - apparenly too many people were putting cooked vegetable matter in the compost and the council were having a problem with vermin! Also yoghurt pots and the like cannot go in the recycling which really adds to the domestic waste.

We probably half fill the domestic waste bin every week, just the 2 of us. It would be a lot less if we could recycle steel cans and foil etc. I believe they are away to pilot a food waste container shortly which would be useful.

• we can put all food types in the food waste collection.........image

can't believe you have to store paper etc for 4 weeksimage

• Fortnightly "waste" waste collection - never full (family of four), alternating with recyclables. Green bin for food/garden waste, which only contains stuff like bindweed and some scraps that I don't want to give to the dogs, chickens or worms  (not much really). A box for glass, a box for cans (all types, including aerosols) and foil and a box for plastic bottles. Paper goes to the village school, cardboard goes in the compost bin and tetra packs are taken to the recycling skip at the leisure centre when OH goes for her gym classes. To be honest, if it wasn't for the fact that the bin men are friendly, helpful and flexible, I would sugest less frequent collections (but I don't want them to lose their jobs).
  • would like to know if flytipping has increased since the councils changed bin policy.
  • SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

I don't think that domestic fly tipping has increased much, except for big things like sofas and mattresses which cannot fit in a wheelie bin.  Fly tipping of these items increased when the councils started charging for them to be collected, which was quite a while back now.

Commercial fly tipping has increased significantly due to the Landfill Tax and people tying to make a quick buck.  Fly tipping by small businesses has also increased as more and more landfills are not taking commercial waste and don't let vans onto their site.  This makes it more difficult for small businesses, particularly those who work from home such as carpet fitters, as they don't often have premises where waste can be collected from.

• I thought so Seren most of the valleys still seem to be on box collections and kerbside sorting

We can recycle everything except tetra packs once a week.  Bridgend take those as well and they have really good figures

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

fly tipping for the most part around here appears to be lazy arses who can't be bothered to drive to the tip. for the most part it's easier to get to the tip than it is to try and fly tip.

I so dislike fly tipping. image

• Maddy. wrote (see)

We can recycle everything except tetra packs once a week.  Bridgend take those as well and they have really good figures

Always nice when your bin-collectors are easy on the eye image
  • We get rubbish and recycling picked up twice a week! image

Cannot imagine waiting for 2 weeks as some of the others that share out communal bin space literally chuck their bags from the first floor so there is rubbish strewn everywhere. We used to have proper bins to put stuff in but these got so disgusting (I once had to fish out 2 drowned rats image) that the council took them away. I now keep my own bins in my garden and put the bags out on the morning when the binmen come.

I have tried using one of those green cone food digester things but it hasn't been v. successful for me. I never thought we generated that much food waste but it couldn't seem to digest anything fast enough. Also the caddy that you're supposed to fill in the kitchen became so impregnated with the most disgusting smell (even after washing) that I had to abandon it. I'm too scared to look into the cone at the moment because last time it had a plague of bluebottles in it. image

I love my compost bin though. This gets vegetable peelings and any paper that I shred and produces fabulous compost with loads of worms in it.

• On the back of this thread I've ordered a brown bin for garden waste (it's optional here) which takes food waste too.  We will see how it goes.

One of my colleagues has one of those green cone composters.  He reckons peeing in it every night helps.  Think the elderly neighbour on her way back from her garage got a bit of a fright the other night image

• Too Much Water wrote (see)
    would like to know if flytipping has increased since the councils changed bin policy.

They introduced a charge for bulky rubbish here quite a few years ago, and surprise!! crap dumped everywhere. Eventually, the council sent out loads of skips for people to fill up withbulky stuff, then abandoned the tip charges.

We did a big tip run recently and it was fab (as tips go). Clean, organised and with plenty of staff to point me in the right direction. There's huge areas for different waste categories that you just drive up to and fling your stuff in, then drive to the next one, etc, keep going round and you exit a bit further along to the entrance and head home again. Very smooth.

• TP, when we had the allotment, we bought a cheap bucket to wee into in the shed, then emptied it in the compost bin. Boys just aimed straight for the bin. image
  • Kwilter with a K wrote (see)
    TP, when we had the allotment, we bought a cheap bucket to wee into in the shed, then emptied it in the compost bin. Boys just aimed straight for the bin. image
    image - A la Bob Flowerdew.
  • LOL parklife I wish - i worked with those guys and really - NOT my taste at all
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Am I alone in thinking the green bin lark is quite fun? image

We've only had recycling bins for a year or two, and it made a HUGE difference to what's in the general waste. We have a big green one, a paper one, and a plastic/tin mixed one.

I was amazed at myself (naturally quite lazy, I'm afraid) when I became quite fanatical. I get quite growly if I see a banana skin in the general waste, and spent ages fussily tearing the plastic window out of envelopes - until I learnt that we can bung the whole thing in our paper box.

our fortnightly collection of the general waste is more than enough - the bin's never full. Well. Until Jjunior decides to clear out her bedroom...