Manchester Marathon

13»

Comments

• Runwithphil, yeah, I've been weighing up Windemere aswell! I was supposed to do the Coniston trail mara in July, but was a DNS due to a dodgy knee, apparently it was hot and tough! No surprises on the tough, I've done some other events organised by Lakeland Trails and they are always on the challenging side! Lol

I think I'm getting mara withdrawal as I've not done one this year! That makes me sound better than I am - I've only done 2 so far, but they were both last year, so it feels a bit weird not being in mara training! I seem to have substituted training for surfing the net for potential races!

I had assumed Windemere mara would have some monster hills!!
  • Hi, Yes i did the Coniston Marathon and it was very hot but a great race, i have been a season ticket holder for the past 3 years on the Lakeland Trail events as well.

The Wndermere Marathon is all road and no trails at all, it has a few hills but no mosters and in places is flat, the down hills are gentle and its a very pleasent marathon, i would think you could add 10-15 mins on to your PB time due to the hills. Its £30 to enter and  in my view the best in the area and 3rd best marathon i have ever run (i have ran 121 to date) if you love road running, they also have a family fun day event at the Start Finish line for supporters to be entertained whilst you run the course.

As i said i will be running 10 windermere marathons in 10 days in May (the last one being the real Windermere marathon) so you have thrill of whatching us 18 idiots start/finish our 10th Marathon.

• I've entered the ballot for the london marathon but really fancy this one if I dont get in! i did the dublin last year but stupidly with very little training- got around in 6 something but lesson learnt! so id need someone to keep nagging me to train if someones up for the job? haha figure if i start now if i get into london or not then ill still have a marathon in april to aim for!
  • Hey Mair, I did Dublin last year too. Great race with a really good atmosphere at the finish.

I've also entered the London ballot, I did it before I saw this Manchester mara. I am not expecting to get into London, so this will be my next big race.

My training has been rubbish this year, so bad in fact that I've even had a bash at a tri (which I really enjoyed). My creaky old knees seem to be giving up on me everytime I try to increase my mileage.image

• wondered where this thread had gone to
  • ive done 2 tris this year and oe more to go but first one was a disaster, second was a lot more fun, i dont really fancy this net one though im jst too tired to train at the moment. but hpefully will get back into it this week.let me know if u get into london- u can be my online training partner if u want to!  need all the encouragment i can get!!!
  • Hi Mair,
    I've got another tri next weekend!! London or Manchester either way I'll be training for an April mara next year.
  • I'm entered, have done 3 Londons, the last being 6 years ago, but couldn't resist the lure of a Home Mara - if my old legs can endure the training !!!!!
  • I've also entered, couldn't resist seeing as it's supposed to be one of the flattest in the world....
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    what is the route for this and is there a website for it
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    thanks did Chester yestaday in 3h44 my fastest ever marathon knocking 15 mins of 2010 time at Chester
  • Well done to those who ran Chester and Liverpool!
  • so i signed up to a 10k when i could barely walk a mile let alone run one,ive done the Manc run a few times now and dont really have to put much effort into training amymore! i was going to progress to a half marathon this year and then the manchester marathon came about so i signed up for that instead - eeeeek!!
  • Runwith phil
    Question for u, what sort of training r u doing for the 10in10 and what's yr background to enable u to do it? It might because it's late and I might have had a drink that was largely hops and water but I'm thinking it might b a good challenge. But it's the same course isn't it over 10 days?
  • Looks like I'm joining you lot next April.  After being left mentally scarred by my 2 marathons this year that both ended up being run in over 30C of sunny sunshine which my body doesn't really cope with for more than about 10 miles and running my two personal worsts in the process I have decided to give Manchester a go.  Being Scottish I'm good at cold wet and windy and I'm told rain is forecast in Manchester for 366 days next year seeing its a leap year. Sounds like my type of city image
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    good luck to all doing this me going to do Chester again next year
  • Haven't run a marathon since 2007 (haven't doen much running at all since the end of 2008)

I had no plans to ever do another marathon, but on Wednesday I did a 23 mile run (2:52) and now I'm thinking maybe Manchester might be worth a bash,

Course looks like it has pb potential, I'm going to leave entering until well into next year, see if I can get some speed back and hope it doesn't sell out early.

• I have to say there is potential for a big style calendar clash: this is the day after the Manchester Derby, and the very strong likelihood is that the game may be moved back a day (to fit in with Sky football schedules), so it could be on exactly the same day. Given today's (FANTASTIC) result, it is looking like it could be a momentous day for the City.
  • I was pretty gutted when I checked the fixtures to find out which one of the Manchester clubs were playing in Manchester that day to find they both were and then checked to see if Liverpool were playing at Annfield only to find they are away too.  I don't think there would be all that much of a problem if the game went ahead on the sunday as the game is at eastlands rather than Old Trafford although it would certainly put a big dent in crowd support for the marathon if it had a lunchtime kick-off.  Do they ever kick off these games at 4pm or is there too much trouble if they kick-off at that time?  At the end of the day the police always get the final say and if they insist on the game being played on saturday lunch-time it will go ahead then.
  • With the marathon being on the Sunday, it could be likely that the Manchester derby will be played at the lunchtime slot on the Saturday under the advice of the police.

• I can't see the police allowing the marathon and the derby on the same day
  • I'm in!!!

-Waves to Cake-

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    hmmm...there are two (greater) manchester threads...one is going to have to go....
  • Well I can't be arsed moving.  It will have to be the other lot. image

Hi again Vixx.  Long time no see image

• Aye - how are you doing Cannigia? image

I've only found this thread, and I couldn't be arsed reading two different ones for the Birmingham half..... image