Great South Run 2011

E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi all,

i couldnt see a thread open for this one so thought that i'd start it. Is there anyone else running the GSR this year? What times are you hoping for? Have you started training yet?

This'll be my second GSR and i'm hoping for better weather than 2007!

Comments

• Emmy-bug

Morning

That will be my 19th year  I think since 1992 and I miss one year because I left it to late!!

Anyway you will like the route start from SouthSea Common,pass Gunwhalf Keys towards Clarendon Road to eastney and back Southsea.My quickest time was 1.25 last year beat 5minutes off.This year hoping 1.15.U

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    19th year? Wow! I only remember bits of the course but I was dressed like superwoman at the time! 1.15 is a very impressive time! How is your training coming along?
  • Hi.  I really like the GSR.  Did it in 2001 (1 hr 20) and last year (1 hr 17).

Would love to get under 1 hr 15, but all depends on the weather, especially along the home straight along the coast.  2001 was windy and rainy, but last year was absolutely glorious.

Good luck to everyone taking part.

• Emmy-bug

Thankyou for the comment.My Training go verywell slow since Brighton Marathon  Injury. I slowly getting back with

Tulip 10K-Spalding 48minutes

Lincoln 10K-44minutes

Woodhall 10K-48minutes

Sleaford 10K-47minutes

HumberHalf Marathon-2h.08

and I got Thurlby 10k near Bourne and Nottsfast.Hopefully i will be 100% better.

• Gavlar CGavlar C ✭✭✭

Hello

Will be my second time, did it in 1.27 last time hope if the wind stays away will do it in much the same time!!

• I think wit this event you have more organised propely them others. Like BUPA the main sponsors . Should do the Hottest Events to like HumberHalf and Manchester Marathon.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I'm hoping that it'll be good weather. This will the first race for me running with my mum - after nearly 4 years of running - she's finally caught the bug so we're going to do this together. I just hope that the weather stays better for the actual day!

I agree that the event is a lot more organised than others that i've been to (i fondly remember the warm up)... but there were parts which i found frustrating (people not being in the right starting block etc)... but saying that i've had that complaint for every major race i've entered!

Well done SB on the timings! I'm taking the time over the summer to improve my core strength hoping that it'll stop me getting injured all of the time!

• Emmy-bug

I pleased you improve your core muscle.Its important to look after ourselves since the tradigy news of 4 died at HumberBridge Last sUNDAY and I was there.Its scary to us all?

• Hi Emmy-bug

I'm running it for the first time this year so excited and daunted at the same time.image

I have run longer distances but many moons ago, so this is a challenge. But, training is going well so far - up to 6/7 miles and doing 7 miles in an hour so feel quite positive.

It was hard finding accommodation in Portsmouth - ended up staying in Fareham so I'll have to get a train on the morning of the run, but hopefully that won't be too stressful!

Hope your training is going ok  now.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Jelley,

We'll be driving down on the morning as it's normally easier than finding accommodation (my parents are in Surrey). It's a good idea to take the train - from what i remember it's very central to get to on the seafont. When I ran it in 2007 it was pouring with rain so my experience wasnt the best. I'm hoping that the weather is better this year!

Congrats on your mileage and training! That sounds great! I'm in the middle of crosstraining befor focusing on my training from August. I have a half marathon in Cologne on 2nd October so that'll be my "test" run before the Great South.

• Last year, (and this year) stayed at Southampton and plan to drive to Portsmouth morning of race.  Will need to leave plenty of time as traffic was really busy last year.  Parked at Fratton Park (Portsmouth FC) - that left a 20 min walk to the seafront.

Sad news about the Humber Bridge event - always scary when you hear things like that.

Plan to do Cardiff HM two weeks before GSR. 

• Star Slow

Good On You.I did Cardiff Marathon in 2006 when the Half includes the big Event inwhich its a differcult getting PB speciele cobbles and hard grass in the park.Sadly image the Marathon know longer on that year onwards.Its similar like Blackpool coming back next year and manchester comeback since 10years ago.Its strange but money more important for safety reason.Good on You.cardiff always popular run to do.I will do the Cardiff Ultra next year thats 50K?

• Morning Emma Bug

How you getting on with the Core Muscle and the Aps.I got a Coach who includes £20 per 2 sessions at Harpers in Lincolnshire with Weights,Squats,Lift and balance .

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hiya Speedy!

Things are going really well on the core front! I've been updating the insanity thread to motivate me that "someone might be watching". I'm feeling really strong and i'm finding that the exercises are coming to me a lot easier and i'm able to do more in the time alloted. The biggest thing for me is to avoid injury and i really feel like this is helping me so much.

My mum (who's turning 60 next year) will be running the GSR with me and she's already up to 8 miles with her trainer. Her plan is to take everything super slow in training so that she can really enjoy it. One of the great things about the GSR is it's very beginner friendly (in my opinion).

She's very excited about joining me on the run and keeps asking for tips! Her latest question is about fuelling along the run. She really doesnt like the energy drink i'm taking so she's trying out jelly babies and percy pigs! Her issue is that she's not really a sweet tooth and all of the things i keep suggesting are very sweet!

How is everyone else feeling? Are you using GSR as a training run? or are building up for the GSR to be the main event?

• Hi Emmy_Bug 

GSR will be my first ever race!! Gave up smoking in April and decided to have a target to work to to keep me getting fit..

3 months in and I am up to running 5 miles so far and getting better by the day. Aiming for a 1 hour 40 time for the run.

Jon

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Jon,

Congrats on giving up smoking! It cant have been easy! What sort of timing are you aiming for? What's your training schedule like?

• I'd like to achive an average of 6mph so 10 min miles, not sure if i will make it yet image

I'm out running 3 to 4 times per week doing varying disatances between 2 and 5 miles so far, also hit the Gym a couple of times a week as well.

When I first started back at the start of April, i couldn't even run for 1 minute without thinking I was going to die! now I am feeling fairly comfortable running a mile or so without slowing, so its getting better!

10 miles still seems like a long way away yet, but I am not giving up!

• I'm in.
    Running for Macmillan through a guaranteed charity place (through my work) but mainly doing it as my first big running challenge.

Started running about 4 weeks ago after 10 years of inactivity. Got bad shin splints a year ago when I attempted to run and still have them now (convinced it's worse but the doctors and physios say not).

I've been walking to and from work since January and have walked over 900 hilly cross-country miles since, losing 1.5 stone, getting a lot fitter and possibly aggravating the shin splints!

I'm two weeks in to a walk/run 'couch to 5k' program although I'm taking it very slowly due to the shin splints. Back in the gym too to keep up the CV and core strength.

My goals / planned races :

Aug 28th Work challenge (5 miles) Hoping for a slow and comfortable 50mins.
    Sept 18th Littledown 5 (local 5 miler in Bournemouth) Aiming for sub-45mins.
    Oct 30th GSR (10 miles) 90mins would be nice but we'll see how my shins bear up.
    Mar 11th Bath Half (13.1 miles) The big one! Just want to get 'round it comfortably really.
  • Emm bug

Its a Peace of Cake for me.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Speedy - I'd expect nothing less!

@Jon - That's great progress! Dont give up! A friend of mine started in a similar way to you - one minute walk, one minute run and they're now running marathons! 10 minute mile is not a bad pace to aim for - just make sure that you're comfortable with it.

@Ben - Welcome to the thread! I feel your pain for the shin splints - have they checked your shoes and posture? That was the biggest issue for me. I had shin splints 6 months ago and ended up cutting back on my running to do more cross training (non impact sports, cycling etc). It was the best way for me to build up form and not lose fitness. Have they given you any sort of programme to follow for recovery? It looks like you've got a good program ahead for races!

Today is "rest" day from insanity some i'm doing a gentle gym work out followed by a nice 5mile run.

• Yeah, had the full analysis done. Not a lot wrong with my running form, apart from a little over-pronation on the right foot.
    It was the initial shock of running two 5 mile races in short succession on completely ceased and dormant legs that caused the problem. Think I immediately tore the crap out of the tissue and haven't really recovered properly since.

No-one I've seen seems too worried that  I've had the splints for over year though. Have got some basic exercises and stretches for recovery and will work on core strength too.

I ran/walked 5k to our work gym this morning but was in so much pain I'm going to give up running for a month. I have to get these legs healed by my first race so I'm going to go hardcore on the low-impact sports like cycling, rowing and sea swimming (live 1mile from the beach) and then attempt to run when my legs feel completely healed.

Am pretty confident I can heal and be fit for the GSR though, looking forward to it.

• Emma Bug

Hopefully the Weather should be stable for the run.

• Gutted I've got a medial ligament tear - no training for me.

Great North in September looks doubtful, but really hope I can still do Great South. image

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭
    Gutted this has filled out now. Really wanted to race this!
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Speedy - I'm begging for good weather. This will be my mum's first "proper" race so i want her to have a good one!

@SS - ouch! image I really wanted to do both this year but the GNR collides with another race i'm doing over here. I hope the recovery goes well!

I had a really fantastic training run today. Easy pace but felt really good at the end of it!

• Emmy Bug

Do keep in touch?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Speedy - certainly. I'll keep posting on this thread to keep everyone updated.

Hope that your training goes well!

• Emma bug

You on FaceBook?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hey Speedy - yep. I'm bit difficult to find. Can you PM me your name?
  • I  applied for it and just iort of forgot about it until last week when I suddenly woke up to the fact it was not that far away.....HELP.

Family wedding is at the beginning of August and then I will start. At the moment doing spinning classes as it keep pouring with rain when I have time to get out and, as I wear specs, I cannot see where I am going.

Most of my training is looking at all the different training plans, never do today what you can put off until tomorrow but I think my days of procrastination must come to an end.

I am just so slow but I know I will feel better once I get  started. I did it on 2009 and took 2hr 3 mins  but I did beat one of my pupils who was 45 year younger. But I have not run that much since so I need to get the habit back.  I just want to get under 2 hours this time.

Any tips on motivation