Great South Run 2011

Comments

• Jelley, nice time for the 10 miles, especially with the hills, I don't know about the dip in the sea afterwards though!

Chownsie good luck for the Denmead run and also good luck to anyone else off racing.

I was aiming for 10 miles today but ended up a bit time constrained so just did 6.5. Still felt good though and I could remember how much harder I found it when I first ran the route. My last 10 miles is going to be Tuesday after my nightshift to match how it'll feel for the GSR. I'll be on holiday the week before the race so that'll be a natural taper I think, though, I'll take my gear and try to get out a couple of times.
  • Chownsie - hope the run went well today - Cadence/camber - oh well what a blonde moment I must have been having. Or I could put it down to age........LOL.

Emmy-bug - hope your ICE and stretching is going well and thanks for the input re tapering ideas! May do the cross country next week if it's been dry so that the risk of slipping and causing injury is reduced - so like a cowards excuse but I'd be mortified if I couldn't run in 2 weeks time. Hope your mum is doing ok as well.

I hope my charity T shirt arrives soon .... i need to wash and wear it a few times to make sure I feel comfy in it! image

have a good week everyone!

• Hi guys and girls...

I managed to PB Denmead today in a time of 44:42 (watch time). It was tough, the hills are long - the longest incline is around 2km and it was hot but I'm happy with my time and the compression socks worked well. Also, I used it to do some cadence work and felt stonger for it..... (the camber was OK too image)

Hi Emmy, hope things clear up for you after a bit of TLC.

Hi Jelly, good luck with the charity t-shirt, they are always a bit stiff lol

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Well in my mind this morning a gentle bike ride was all I needed to sort out my sore muscles. 51km and 2 1/2 hrs later I felt a lot better! My knees are a little sore but i'm feeling ok! I'm planning out my runs for the next week to try and make sure that i'm "race" ready (or as much as possible!). I've booked into my first sports massage session next saturday as a treat to myself.

@Chownsie - Well done!! That's a great time (especially with the hills).

@Jelley - i'm the same - i'm petrified to run xc if it's raining/wet! I hope that you get your shirt soon- I'm only normally given charity shirts on the day - so dont have the luxury of a pre-wash.

Have we thought about what we're wearing for the day? Maybe we could put down something so that we're recognisable to others from the forum? What do others think?

• Compression socks Emmy? Then at least I wont be the only one who looks like a school girl lol

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Lol Chownsie - I always wear my compression socks image
  • got my t-shirt two days ago had it specially ffieprinted as I am running for a local charity. Shall wear it when I run into schoo on Friday to try to get some more sponsorship

Sitting here rolling my left foot on a golfball as I type. Yup got it in one - the dread plantar problem makes an unwelcome switch to the left foot. Did a split run this weekend as I did a big one last week. 9k both days. Think I overdid it yesterday as I ran into local town with rucsac on back and did some shopping!!! a heavy load on back. Foot felt fine yesterday but after this mornings run came back with a soreness to the outside of the foot - argh!!!!! oh well, shall be fine after a bit of r & r I am sure.
    Chownsie - well done with the PB. Wondering whether compression socks would help support my foot. What do you reckon?

• Yes - I've had planter and it helps, that and new shoes/work on the cadence. You're doing the right thing with a golf ball, maybe put your foot in ice water then warm a few times for about ten minutes a time. I've also placed a towel flat and used my toes to scrunch it/pick in up.

Little exercises.

For a tenner though I think compression socks are well worth it, the more mile ones will do the trick.

Emmy - how about a buttercup in our hair of paint our faces as farmyard animals?!
  • Like the idea of the buttercup in our hair!!
  • Just entered Gosport Half Marathon to continue training through till December, anyone else doing it?
  • I'm in but running with my girlfriend as its her first time so I'm not going to try and PB it.......
  • Right.  That's the longest run done and dusted - 15 miles in the beautiful Sunday morning mist.  Just a 9 or 10 miler next Sunday, a couple of tempo runs at race pace (about 4 or 5 km), and one speedier session to go.

Wish it was tomorrow now!!

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

hi all

I did a 5 mile hilly ish off orad saturday and felt strong, lots of aches but I felt strong! No aches after.

JB nice time for the 10 miler!

marktdm I will be over the moon with 1.40, fingers crossed!

Chownsie thanks for the tips and well done on the pb.  I thought of  you inmy sat race, I knew my cadence had got slow and rubbish, picked my feet up a bit and it really helped, the second lap of a horrid hilly field felt better than teh first. So thanks for that.

shelagh flipping pf!!

I am definitely doing 10 wednesday, then I will just do my normal sort of running.  Longest run I have done for ages is 6 miles so it will be interesting to say the least!

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • I am doing gosport too, will be my third time doing it.

I plan to do a long run friday, I finish nights thursday morning. then a short run next week before the big day

• Nothing throught the post today re nunbers etc, apart from my T shirt!! Yippee - mind you I do look like a traffic light - the Banana Army can't be missed - luminous yellow- ish colour! I think I'll try and put my name on it somehow so family at home might spot me  on TV (fat chance!!). image 

Did 6 miles today and feel good, just wary of my hip so not doing any longer than an 8 miler later this week....

If we do wear something to recognise each other make sure I can get it on a plane - or at least buy it over there!! Sounds like fun...LOL image

Have a good week everyone - hope all the niggles etc disappear with all the treatment Shelagh and any others who are struggling with niggles!

• Hi Wado - I'm glad that it helped you, good form makes all the difference, I'm easing up to the 180spm cadence but I'm finding it more relaxed while running, with just general muscle fatigue afterwards, like when your using muscles for the first time in a while image

Hmmmm jelly, I think we should all have cowboy belts with water pistols on them.......image

• Hi all,

This will be my first GSR (in fact my longest race since taking up running 18 months ago). Training gone well so hopefully should finish (i'll worry about the time then image).

Quick question for those that have done it before, what's parking like? I had intended to use the Park & ride but £15 per head is a rip off, don't mind paying that for a car, but with my wife coming to support £30 to park the car & get a bus seems very steep.
  • Honestly, I'd drive to Gosport, get the ferry and walk with the rest of us from there. I could even recommend somewhere to park for free....!
  • I don't know, I seem to remember from my driving lessons that driving into Gosport isn't always that much fun image

Neil, if you live anywhere nearby, then I'd recommend getting the train in. Otherwise, drive to a nearby station and park there, and get the train in. Havant seems to cost £2 for Sundays according to this: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/HAV.html however I would phone the station to confirm that is correct for the race day too. An off-peak day return ticket between Havant and Portsmouth is about £4.50 so for the two of you, you'll be saving nearly £20. Although, I guess this only works if there are spaces available at the station car park!

Other nearby stations are Cosham, Fareham, both for return tickets £5 or less. Chichester and Southampton stations are also ok at a push - Both cost less than £15 return tickets so cheaper than the park and ride. It's about £9.50 return from Southampton, and about £7 ish from Chichester. You'd probably have to do a bit of research about parking rates.

• Hi Wendy - I'd think it would be OK on a Sunday, especially now the 'car boot' season has finished.

Also, there is a few nice pubs to go to afterwards for a massive Sunday roast to celebrate getting round image

• Race pack arrived this morning image
  • Cheers Guys, as I'm in Romsey I think the train is the best bet, which is best station (Portsmouth & Southsea?)

Still waiting for my pack
  • At last, I've finally got my email about the racepack, I was getting a little worried not to have received it yet.

It's good to see everyone in the final stages of preperation. I did my last 10 miler this morning and without wanting to jinx the big day felt pretty good. I see a lot of folk are signing up for Gosport now, I think half marathon will be my next target but unfortunately I'll be working that day.

I see they're jazzing up the course maps on the website now. My son lives just past the 6 mile mark and was 'pleased' to see he'll be having a band on the run location right nearby.
  • Neil, I asked that question a few pages back and basically Portsmouth and Southsea is pretty similar distance away from the start as Portsmouth Harbour.

This is the advice I got from Wendy.

"I would say Portsmouth Harbour is a good station for the race too. It will mean you get to walk a little of the start of the route which is handy for any supporters you have with you to choose a cheering spot, and you will walk past Gunwharf Quays, so the same supporters will know where to go for a shop while they're waiting for you to finish

However, the route from Portsmouth and Southsea station is very straightforward too and you will see a section of the race about 3 miles in, so another good place for cheering spots."

Also worth noting if there's an intention to meet other folks travelling over on the Gosport Ferry, Portsmouth Harbour station is near to the ferry terminal.
  • I'd go Pompey harbour and you might not need a ticket!
  • Portsmouth Harbour is also the nicer walk if the weather is good, especially if you follow the chain link path along the seafront image

I'm still waiting for my race pack, does everyone else have theirs?

If the wind stays low today, I'm going to do 1hr30 run tonight, my last long run before the race. Hopefully it will give me enough recovery time before a 4 or 5 mile on sat, and again on tues and thurs next week.

• Lil.Lil. ✭✭✭
    NO PACK.image. I don't think hardly anyone has received theirs yet. 11 days to go for a huge running event and people only just receiving the email.image. Good grief !!!
  • Got my race pack! Excited about it now but a bit worried too. Went out for an 8 miler on monday and 5 1/2 in my right achilles went bang! Hurt a fair bit but i had to walk the 2 1/2 home which didn't help. Its not too bad now, strains a bit when i'm mobile for a long time but i'm trying to rest it as much as my job will allow. Really hope it holds up on the day as i'll be gutted if all this build up is for nothing!
  • No pack for me either image  when can I start worrying!!!

Run to the beat - do hope you recover asap!

Wendy - hope you have a good run tonight.

Still debating about the XC on Sunday .........may just decide on the day itself - only 10 mins in the car anyway so no 'travel issues' that you all have!! Although, when I look at where you are all racing etc I do turn a bit green with envy I have to confess! image (not sure it's a green with envy smiley but you know what i mean).