Milton Keynes Marathon

Comments

• Hi Roger. Good luck with getting the GFA entry for London. Unfortunately for me, my best bet is the ballot :/

Which RW schedule did you follow? They have a few (i.e. Garmin, Ultimate) with some differences in approach. I'm considering using the latest Garmin schedules.
  • Hi Tenjiso, I used the ultimate schedules because I tried the Garmin and couldn't get on with the download.

I use a Garmin 310xt, you can put your days training workoat onto Garmin Training centre and then send it to the watch. It is great and makes me stick to the speeds I am surposed to be sticking to.

You can change these schedules around a bit and don't worry about missing time through injury because it really doesn't matter, The most important day is your long run, you need to try and stick to these if you can. On my last two marathons my training was over 5 days and I have just noticed that the sub 3:15 is over 6 days so that should make it easier but I do always use and enjoy the rest days!

I think you will need to start on January 9th if you use one of these shedules.

• Thanks Roger, I'll take a look at the ultimate one and see how it compares.
  • Hi everyone, i'm doing MK too!

I ran my first marathon at VLM this year, and so with MK almost on my doorstep, i decided to go for this one.

I've done a couple of the MK halves before, but for training, i'll be doing Silverstone Half and Oakley 20, with schedule adjusted here and there to accommodate the weeks difference (over london)

My training this year went really well, so i'm basically going to copy what i did this year, but hopefully improve on each run/session...well try too!!

My only worry is that being end of April, it'll be warm......London was about 21c, and so fingers crossed for a cooler day!!

For those doing Bedford Half in December, if i remember right....it has one noticible 'up and over' hill fairly near the start, then a steady gentle climb until about mile 9......then pretty much downhill all the way to the finish....with a little sting in the tail, just before the finish!!!

• Thanks for the info on Bedford Half - I am doing it, and have heard some horror stories about the hills - maybe won't be expecting a PB then, but won't stop me trying!

The hills at the end of the March MK Half nearly finished me off!! Just done St Neots though, an that was a nice easy gently undulating course...

• Tenjiso - finally got around to downloading some Marathontalk, loving it! Many thanks for drawing to my attention.... Think I'm going to do a similar thing to you - go through the back catalogue but may keep up to speed with the current weekly ones at the same time, so much deadtime in the car that it should keep me entertained non-stop for at least 3 months!  I quite like the Yellings - they did a turn at the meet the expert day that I went to as part of the Golden bond place for London earlier this year.......... Thanks once again!
  • Hi All, this thread starting to hot up (unlike the weather). Seen a few posts about differant training plans all look good. Im following (sort of) the my asics plan. U can download fill in your details and it will work out a plan based on all the info u give it. Im trying to get under 3.30 for the first time so seeing the training plan and how hard it is going to push me is pretty scarey. Am already following it in terms of base training and now on to some short fast runs. Have a look and see what you think. Im mixing it up with gym treadmill/bike/swimming. I find that this stops me getting injuries from pounding on the road/woods 5 times a week.

Good luck if any one going out today, bit nippy but good conditions for a short semie fast run to stretch those legs.

Happy running 

• Hi Spephen

I'm aiming for 3.30 too - only done one before, London this year in 3.57 - so aiming for quite an improvement this end! image  What's your pb so far?  How many sessions a week is the Asics plan? Am aiming to follow the P&D myself but going up to 55 miles per week will be interesting!!

Cheers

Cooks

• Hi Cooks

That sounds like a lot of miles, the RW sub 3:30 only goes up to 48 miles.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/rws-ultimate-marathon-schedule-sub-330/129.html

I used this one and it worked for me giving me a pb of 3:25

I am going for sub 3:15 this time and the most I will do in one week is 55 miles but that is over six days and not the five I done last time.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/rws-ultimate-marathon-schedule-sub-315/128.html

Good luck with it anyway!

• Cooks - glad you like the podcasts. I think I'll also start listening to the latest episodes alongside the older ones too. I noticed a very recent one which talked about the Milton Keynes park run.

I'm still leaning towards the RW Garmin plan. It seems to fit my general schedule pretty well, and I'm assuming it will be the one followed by the Asics 26.2 runners. This means I can follow their progress and advice. Talking of which, I did enter the competition - but since I've heard nothing I guess I can add it to my pile of ballot rejections.
  • I think they promised to tell the shortlisted people before the end of the month Tenjiso, I've still got my fingers crossed.

I've just pulled off an ASICs schedule for me.  Not impressed.  longest run is 22 miles at planned Marathon pace and there is a strange combination in some of the LSRs of fast and slow, except the fast (which is faster than PMP) is to be done at the start of the run.

• I won't write-off my chances of the Paris Marathon just yet then image

The schedule for sub 4:30 has longest run of 20 miles, first ten miles easy and second ten miles at marathon pace. It sounds reasonable to me, though I hope I might be able to do a 22 miler for my final long run. I'm adjusting the training paces according to the pace calculators (for a 4:20 marathon).
  • Hi Cooks, my pb is 3hr 33min done a few weeks ago. So hopefully can find 3mins although would love to be greedy and do 3hrs 15min.

FerrousFerret:I know what u mean ref pace on runs with asics, but remember its up to u when u do the faster pace. I go off stready then pick pace up then finish steady. I just found in my last training that speedy session s helped me on race day. Plans I followed before had too many steady/slow runs therefore u cant do it on race day. I like to go faster than race pace on mid long runs 12/16 so I can feel good on race day. It works for me but not everyone

Roger holiday: I might try and folllow u around on race day (if Im feeling fit) 3hrs 15min would be a great goal, actually 3hrs 3omins would be good.

Had a good run today 6miles at 8min pace, through muddy woods, lovelly!!!!

• Stephen- You would be more than welcome, we could probably push each other along.

I actually can't wait for this one although probably the main reason for being on here at the moment is to take my mind off this coming Sunday because I have my first Ultra and at nearly 45 years young I do sometimes wonder why I do these things! Anyway I have tapered now and according to the plan I traine to, I now have three days rest which after trying to find a couple of hours a day to train I am now finding this spare time quite difficult to get my head around.

I just want to go for a run!

• Roger - I must admit that I am tempted by the RW plan.  I like the Garmin friendliness of it and the fact that it advocates Parkruns etc (bromley is my home run) but then I think my achillies heel was lack of miles and hence endurance last time out - I was (and am) reasonably quick over the shorter stuff, in a way that the race predictors suggest a fair bit quicker than 3.30 but then I'm trying to be realistic.  Very good to know that you went 3.25 on the RW plan and well done btw!! Further food for thought - RW plan would be easier to fit around home life!! image

Ferret - 22 miles at MP?!?!? That can't be right surely!  I could understand if the last third at most was at MP but that seems excessive.... I'm going to aim for 22 miles as LSR before taper but it won't be that fast!!!

Stephen - well done on the recent pb - impressive time sir!!  Re 3.15 - I guess that depends on how your pb has progressed as to whether doable....... I've only got one previous to rely on so its a bit of guesswork based on improvements over shorter races this end!

• Roger- I tried an ultra in sept lon/brighton, bloody nightmare. Had to stop at 3omile point. Hardest race I have ever taken part in. Never seen so many steep hills in all my life. Only good thing was that it was a good training run for my abbingdon marathon a few weeks later which went really well. Good luck to you, do you have to navigate around course? how far and where is it.
  • Stephen- It is the Hereward Ultra and..................................only 38,4 miles!

The course is A to B and no map reading involved fortunately. It is in the fens from Peterborough to Ely so also very flat.

I just want to finish this one so no racing for me (although I know this will change as soon as we start and I feel good).

Cooks- I also had the dreaded achilles heel problem for the last 12 months and although it didn't stop me running, it was very painful for the first mile or so, oh and for the first ten minutes out of bed in the morning! I got some very expensive orthotics (£360) after having my feet lazered and within two weeks the pain had almost gone. Now four weeks and no pain at all. Alot of money but worth every penny, I now love my pain free running and they say the trainers should last longer too. It sounds like we run at a similar pace, I also do the Cambridge Parkrun most Saturdays. My 5k time says that I should run a marathon at 3:07 though.

• Cooks- I have just read your profile and I could get away with copy and paste. Identical to mine in times and also down to the beer......curry.......and footy!
  • Cooks,

The P&D plans are the mutts nuts.

I did the 12 week, 70 mpw schedule looking to improve from 3.19 to sub 3.15. Ended up running 3.09 and in hindsight could have gone quicker, maybe 3.05. Thet are really good plans.

• Roger - great minds and all! image If only the predictors were accurate when working up from 5k to Mara!!image

Sean - the guys I have been getting to know on the 3.30 forum generally say long and slow training is the way fwd and that P&D is a pretty good frame work to crib from, also that the RW Garmin plan's are not so good..... Having the book I think it makes a lot of sense so am keen to try (thanks for confirming that it worked for you btw - speedy time, next stop sub3?) - it's just the time commitment at home.  We have a young toddler so time is very precious at the mo! image  Assume that you're in for MK?

• Cooks,
    I will be at MK, just need to pay and enter! image

I did the 3.09 in 2007 just prior to birth of our daughter so time wasn't so much of an issue. Couldn't find that time now though!

Would like to have gone sub 3 but I think that is beyond me. I decided to go for quantity instead of quality. Done 22 this year with another 2 to do before the end of the year. Intend to rack up the magic 100 by the end 2013.

May decide to have a crack at Sub 3 after I get to 100!

• Sean - wow, you certainly are a man of marathon experience then! 22 this year!! What's been the best and worst so far (overall)?

• Quickest of the year was Luton on Sunday gone (3.20). Usually plod around 'em in 3.45ish. Hardest has to be Trionium Greensands....much harder than 209's South Downs Marathon (which is far from easy). However, would say that my favourite is the White Peak Marathon.

The worst was easily the two-2-go marathon (last years) where there simply wasn't enough marshalls on the course. One of the signs had been tampered with too adding an extra mile and not everyone ran the loop around Lea Valley Park (which saved about 6 miles!). I ran 27.2 miles and for good measure UKA ultimately declared it short course. Heard that Three-2-go wasn't great either. However, by all accounts, they did revamp the route for this years one-2-go and I believe it was much better - well, it coiuld not be any worse! Once bitten, twice shy.

TBH not too many bad experences, mostly good ones. Lots of good, well organised marathons about. Looking forward to the Marathon Of The North next year as its in my home town (of should I say City!).

Most bizarre would be a track marathon. Yep, round and round a 400m track!

52 down image, 48 to go! image

• I just love the way you say 'plod around in 3.45ish'.... ahhhhh, in my dreams image

• I just heard on local radio news that 2700 people have already signed up to run the MK marathon.
  • ....think I had better sign up PDQ then!

• So far so good then....I wonder whether it will reach capacity?
  • I doubted that it would get anywhere near capacity, due to the availability of established alternatives available on the same day (Stratford, Machester). However, given that it's nearly half-full with five months still to go, it looks like it may well achieve the target.

I hope they have some sort of timings set-up at the start, otherwise it's going to get bunched up (going by experience in the MK half marathon).

I'm really starting to look forward to this now.
  • I thought the same - its a busy 2-3 week Spring Marathon window in April but then I guess some (insane image) people do 2 or 3 in a row! 

I did wonder what take up would be - very encouraging to say the least.  It's all pointing to a great atmosphere on the day.  I really starting to buzz about it too - looks great on the website.  I did read somewhere there would be staggered starts, so guess a lot depends on people's honesty on projected times.  How many do MK HM and was that staggered? Bunch ups will be annoying............

Gearing back up for the long runs starts tomorrow - 10 miles slow & steady, it's been 4 weeks as had a week off and banged out a couple of 10ks.. Can't wait - hopefully an easy stretch up to HM-15miles by Christmas and then hit the plan proper!

PS Sean - 'plod' around in 3.45 image

• I did the Wolverton 5M yesterday (Willen Lake).....and whilst trying my hardest to run at 8:10 pace, i was looking forward to being able to run round MK at only 10m/m pace!!! image