Milton Keynes Marathon

Comments

• Sounds like any bag collection problems at MK were about 10 times worse at Manchester resulting in lots of very, very cold runners!
  • But nowhere near as fast as you oldno7image I think you underestimate how fast you ran out there!!! On a difficult course weather aside.

Owl watch out for that last mile at Leicester it's an absolute killer. First 25 are great tho.
  • I got my first Marathon done on Sunday! I'm a little disappointed with my time, but given the brutal conditions I'm not too disheartened.

Like most, I thought the marshalling and supporters were excellent. I was lucky to get an email on Friday upgrading my parking to be able to park at the stadium so I didn't have to suffer the baggage truck, but I do agree with most of the other points about the organisation around the stadium. Finish was slightly underwhelming with no arch, not too bothered about the poor goody bag - it's not why I ran!

Would I do it again? If I don't get in London next year, then probably.

I'll definitely be looking to do another marathon next spring, not sure I can face the four months training again this year to do one in autumn. I plan on using all the training I've done to improve PBs on shorter distances over this summer.

• Liam68 wrote (see)

what happened at Manchester...?

I wish I had stretched afterwards - my ITBs are killing - just wanted to go home to a warm bath...

Plan t o do a gentle 5 on Saturday then I am doing the Round MK relay on the 20th (first leg - 10miles) then the Boulder Dash in Jume - http://www.theboulderdash.com/index.html

worth a look if you are localish - 8mile route looks the most fun...

First leg of the relay? I've got the course record for that (bighead image) from last year. Who are you running for? I run for Leighton Buzzard AC, but coming back from a track meeting in Newquay on that day this year.

I fear the rcord could go though - a very talented lad called Rob who is coming back to fitness is running it. Anyways - good luck - remember to turn left when you reach the canal image

• Didn;t run this Sunday but can imagine what it was like. The half marathon in March was the coldest/ wettest race i have ever run and it snowed just after I finished.

I imagine the conditions were similar for this so a shame they didn;t take account of that and tried to make sure people got bags back quickly at the end. However it is the first time so will learn lessons.

• MarkD: Thanks. You have my complete respect, how you ran marathons in 3 weeks (and all in good times) I will never know. My legs are completely destroyed after Sunday. Walking is a slow and painful process, and I don't imagine i will be back for the lightest of runs this week.

Going back to the organisation, I think the far worse reports coming out of Manchester & cancellation at Shakespeare reflects pretty well on MK. Certainly improvements to be made, especially pre & post race, no doubt much will have be learned. I will run London whilst i can get in, but would absolutely give this another go.

• Hi Simon

I think we are the Open University vets team.  Rosemary Muston is organising - there's another lady + DFH.  I've been called in as the usual organiser is injured & I guess I am expected to be able to run 10miles.  I gather we may have a chance of winning the age related prize...

• Liam68 wrote (see)

Hi Simon

I think we are the Open University vets team.  Rosemary Muston is organising - there's another lady + DFH.  I've been called in as the usual organiser is injured & I guess I am expected to be able to run 10miles.  I gather we may have a chance of winning the age related prize...

Well have a good one - Leg 1 is a nice run - although on the canal you think you are coming to the right bridge and its alwayds the next one.

Hope the legs have recovered!

• The BBC article on it has a picture of Alun on the front

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-17893156

You're famous Alun

• looks like Rupert Murdoch to me...image
  • The Race Director informed me that the detour was about 250m yesterday. Naturally unofficial. So depending on your pace, you can knock that off your race time unofficially. That's 00:01:22 reduction in my time.
  • I didnt run but went to support my boyfriend. I think there are some serious improvements that need to be made; 1) needs changing facilities 2)more organised bag drop off /pick up. 3)more banners railing area for start point 4)needs some banners and arch that shouts finish line as it was not obvious..or glamorous-not even to my boyfriend as a runner! 5) improve on goodie bag; foil wrap + tshirt should be standard!
    Praise for marshalls and the staff at the more than effcient drink stations.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    They have amended the course certificate page to mention the 250m addition.

Effectively, I actually did run a PB after all - since I was only 31 seconds down on my previous time. I'm sure I can't run 250m in only 31 seconds image
  • That means I did do sub 3.30 image I'm not overly bothered but for those who just missed out on GFA. Well that's another matter. I would be pissed!!!!!
  • I am too tired to work that out...
  • Think I spent a lot of time overtaking/being overtaken by Alun. 

http://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/photo.py?event=Sports/CPUK/2012/Milton%20Keynes%20Marathon&photo=MKML2721&bib=63&match=63

I'm sorry you had such a torrid end to your run, I don't think I can remember being so cold in my life but I'm glad you are feeling a little better now. 

• Mee Mee Wong wrote (see)
    I didnt run but went to support my boyfriend. I think there are some serious improvements that need to be made; 1) needs changing facilities 2)more organised bag drop off /pick up. 3)more banners railing area for start point 4)needs some banners and arch that shouts finish line as it was not obvious..or glamorous-not even to my boyfriend as a runner! 5) improve on goodie bag; foil wrap + tshirt should be standard! Praise for marshalls and the staff at the more than effcient drink stations.

I did do the race and agree with Mee Mee Wong. In summary though:

Pros:

1. Great support throughout the race. 

2. Superbly run drinks stations.

3. Thumbs up for going ahead considering the weather.

Cons:

1. Finish line confusion. Did a sprint finish and then realised the finish line was another 100m away.

2. Poor post-race assistance for the cold. Foil wrap or hot showers a must.

3. Poor goodie bag - I've had a better goodie bag from a 5 k race.

I was lucky to be parked near the race start in Asda's car park & my g/f nearby with a change of clothes. My heart goes out to the runners who had to wait for their bags & travel miles to their car from the finish in the wet, freezing cold weather. 

M

• I've been reading through the various posts and not seen any comments re massage being available at the end, I couldn't see a tent or any signs, did any one get a massage or see a massage tent, did I miss it because was my brain numb from the cold??
  • Maria: I got a massage at the end. Was stumbling my way toward the loos and came across them. Seemed to be run by Cancer research and they had a few tables
  • Thanks Old No7, I obviously missed them. Having stood around in the cold for 15 mins, I then had to climb into a curtain sided lorry to retrive my bag, I was just fed up, I went into the stadium to see if I could see any signs or ask a marshall but couldn't find either - decided at that point to make my way home. I'm sure next year will be much improved.
  • Concurring with Mee Mee Wong & Knightsy on their comments, just to point out that we don't see all the bad things I would like to say that the support from the people from MK was pretty amazing considering the dreadful weather, I must say I had pinpointed this marathon to go under 3h15 but right from the start I knew it would not happen, having said that I will rightly give another go next year as I thought that with a nicer weather that can be achieved.
    For the organisers, I think nobody was expecting that weather so I m sure that was a baptism of fire for you, surely next year things will be better organised, please make sure that goodie bag is nicer it was pretty poor one + do provide a T-shirt we are running a marathon, not a 10k.
    All in all I want to say to all those hardcore runners that brave the elements a very well done it was a s***t weather done a half marathon in Brighton on 2010 that I thought was bad but MK I think will go down as the worst weather that I have faced on a race.
    Let's get ready for Richmond Marathon and the new Gravesend one, last chance saloon to get a good for age entry in London, bdw my time was 3h21'54"
  • After a tolerable first half, I hated every minute after 16 miles and have never felt so cold and miserable in my life.  That said, I was only 1 minute slower than my previous PB in Paris (ipod died so had no idea how I was doing during the run) which is technically a PB after the rerouting, not to mention the tiptoing around the puddles.  Two days later and my memories are a bit fonder.  Really impressed with the race information and the organisation (didn't use the baggage facilities so can't comment on that).  What really impressed me were the spectators.  They didn't have to be there and could have stayed in bed avoiding the weather but no, they were out there supporting the likes of us with much more enthusiasm than we were shoting them in return.  Suffered the humiliation of being outsprinted across the finish line by the gingerbread man...

....who must have absorbed at least a ton of rainwater in that costume.

• BirminghamOwl wrote (see)

The BBC article on it has a picture of Alun on the front

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-17893156

You're famous Alun

Yep, I saw that when I followed another link to the article image
    Liam68 wrote (see)
    looks like Rupert Murdoch to me...image
    I was going well at that point as I think it was quite early in the race, I'm not sure I looked as rough as him even at the end image
    DTs wrote (see)

Think I spent a lot of time overtaking/being overtaken by Alun. 

http://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/photo.py?event=Sports/CPUK/2012/Milton%20Keynes%20Marathon&photo=MKML2721&bib=63&match=63

I'm sorry you had such a torrid end to your run, I don't think I can remember being so cold in my life but I'm glad you are feeling a little better now. 

Hi DTs, I remember swapping places with you quite a lot, how did you get on in the end? Better than me I guess? I'm already looking for another 3:15 attempt although my legs might not be up to it.
  • Re the T shirt that has been mentioned.

The organisers gave everyone the opportunity to buy one when they entered. I did so, can't remember what it cost but was less than £20 for a technical one. So I knew there was never going to be one in the goody bag.

Like the ARA I am now feeling a bit better about the event. The conditions were appalling but despite that the race was reasonably well organised, the support was incredible and all the extras they laid on such as music etc worked.
  • Enjoyed it, scenic course taking in some beautiful lakes & great to have a stadium finish, good medal, great drink stations, cool stadium finish.

T-shirts were only £12 but who needs a T-shirt if it's one of the majors or something really unique then fair enough.

Great job by the organisers doing such a great job to ensure the race could go ahead in such difficult conditions & have to be praised - already looking forward to this in 2013 image

• Morning All

Can anyone just confirm for me the GFA time situation re London 2013 please? If you have run a GFA qualifying time (I have as I ran 3:13:38 on Sunday and I'm 47), does that guarantee you a place if you apply through the GFA entry system or does it just mean that your application will be considered?

I'd be grateful if someone could clarify this for me please - thanks!

Cheers

Dave 

• Dave: your gauranteed a place! Well done.
  • Hi Alex

New Gravesend marathon? When is that? Couldn't find anything online.............

Cheers

Cooks

• Thanks ON7, makes the pain feel worth it now! Awesome run btw, to clock a decent sub 3 in those conditions was superb - hats off to you (was that a PB for you?)