Milton Keynes Marathon

Comments

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Dave! Good luck for London next year!
  • The official results are now out. Seems as if they've shaved off a few more precious seconds off our first published chip times. And the detour is now 0.23 miles instead of 250m unofficially. At this rate, I should get a GFA for London by the end of May image

• Hi Sleeply Lion, where did you see the detour is 0.23 miles?

• Dave P: Thanks. Yes it was a PB for me (a large one) & my first time under 3 hours, so I am delighted! Didn't think it was on in that weather but just decided to run as planned anyway and it came off.

SL: Those results look a little confusing now, still if I have got an extra 44 seconds off I won't complain. I wonder if they will be officially recognised and it will be updated on power of 10?

On the downside though as i was so happy after the race I ordered the i-tab & official photos, they all say my old time!

• Thanks SleepLion, but again it seems they are guessing.
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    I think 0.23 miles is closer. I know I passed the official 8 mile marker almost three minutes after clocking 8 miles on my Garmin. Allowing for normal Garmin errors, this would be about right.

At least I got an unofficial PB.

I can't see any change in my result - I've still got the same time. Though I notice there are a few hundred more results in total since the original spreadsheet was published.
  • This about sums up how I felt, stupid dry photographer sitting under the bridge with his flask of coffee *frown*

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/submitted_images/26462_57012.jpg

Never been so happy to see a finish line in all my life, well when I eventually worked out where the fecking thing was anyway

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/submitted_images/26462_57011.jpg

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Congratulations OldNo7, Sub-3 is phenomenal!
  • Thanks Tenjiso, I'm paying for it now! Off for a much needed sports massage after work
  • Please where are updated results? Mine are still the same image
  • I think the results have changed back again, because I saw one result earlier and another 1 min ago. So I think it best to wait until they remove the word Provision from the website.
  • 0.23 miles is an awful lot. I appreciate they had to do it but it's a massive amount.....
    Can't help thinking that if they adjust the times it might make a bigger fiasco out of it????
  • Unless the updated results are going to be officially recognised they should leave it
  • Unless the updated results are going to be officially recognised they should leave it

+1 image

• They won't change the results. Recognising the extra length of the race is all they are doing . The only time you have is the time for the race NOT the time for 26.2 miles. In this case the race is longer than 26.2 miles. Feel free to approximate an exact marathon distance time for yourselves but nothing will change.

Owl

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    It's easier to change the name of the race. That way I can say I completed the "Milton Keynes Ultra Marathon"! Woot! image
  • Hey the times did come down now seem to be back to what they were??? I somehow dropped  22 seconds but lost 4 places, now it is back to what it was before and my garmin said it was 0.39 mile, maybe it was all the weaving around puddles that added on the extraimage
  • This years Brighton half was measured long and times adjusted accordingly. That was a measuring mistake tho and not a deliberate diversion??! Still they can adjust times by the looks of it and it does say on the website that they are awaiting feedback.
  • Rog Reid. I'd take 22seconds gets me into sub 3.30image
  • Thanks for the congrats Tenjiso, appreciate it

As my original goal was sub 3 which was scuppered by both the weather and maybe slightly underestimating the effort required (it was my marathon debut - I've run for many years including two sub 1:24 halfs in the last 12 months so thought I'd prepared reasonably well but I did find it tough regardless of the conditions), I am now really tempted to enter London to have another go at it - I would also guess that London is a slightly faster course as there would be a lot less 90' turns/ups/downs due to the numerous MK underpasses? (Not to mention the floodwater!)

Anyway I'm going to give the legs a chance to recover properly (am feeling a lot beter today) before making any firm decisions - hope evrybody else who ran is recovering from the effort!

Cheers

Dave 

• Dave

It was my 2nd marathon, 1st was London last year and I hoped then to get under 3:10, it went woefully wrong on the day, thought i was prepared too!

I would reccomend the book Advanced Marathoning, it is technical and i had to re-read some bits several times to understand. However I stuck closely to all the principles in the book and the training schedules and it got me round in sub 3. I haven't gone under 1:24 for a half yet (though i think thats there to be smashed) so you have the speed.

Lots of good schedules out there too though, and the sub 3 forum on this site has some very helpful people

• Thanks for the advice ON7, I've heard that book being recommended before so I'm definately going to check it out (after a rest!) - I'm also seriously considering joining my local running club for some coaching advice.

If you ran sub 3 in those conditions on Sunday I seriously suspect you have a sub 1:20 half in you on a good fast course, any plans to give one a go?

• Dave: I think a fast half will probably be my main target for the rest of the year. No plans as to which yet, like you I need a rest!

Get yourself along to a club, they would be delighted to have you join.

• Hi all,

this was my second marathon and I really enjoyed! I made PB by two and half minutes,although my first marathon (dubai,in January) I run it with a calf strain.

Too bad for the detour,but I made the time for VLM for my age group, so for me mission accomplished.

I felt very well troughout the race and had two perfect splits (few seconds from each other).The weather bothered me before the start, but once I got going I had no problem,also because my previous sports before I took running was cycling,and trust me you catch a lot of cold wind and water...

Someone asked why many runners were working hard to skip the puddles.I speak for myself,however I think a common reason is that you don't know what the surface look like underwater, you could run over a stone or hole hidden under water.I also prefere to keep my feet dry and warm for as long as possible.Beside that water is heavy,and having to run over 42k with your feet and socks full of water is not the smartest thing to do. 

I don't share some of critics to te organizers: the weather was awful and some caos started to develop around the stadium before the start,however the start was given in time,and i had no issue on the course,with the marshalls always in the right place giving the right directions.

My only two critics are for the fact that after the finish there was no kind of support especially in a day like that foil blankets should be available.The second had me almost losing it was the baggage pick after the race.Needles to say I had to jump on the truck to get my bag after 20 minutes waiting under torrential rain.

I hope i get a place in VLM next year if not I'll be back.I like the course,although that hill on mile 20 something had me cursing the organizers image

• My first marathon and certainly won't be my last. At 4:29:26 just snuck in under my target of 4:30 which felt good.

Up until trying to enter stadium all pre race entry, organisation, info etc had been excellent. Stadium access was poorly thought out though the weather no doubt exacerbated the situation.

How anyone can criticise the marshalls or volunteers is beyond me, they were all fantastically helpful and supportive.

The corporate relay was a pain in the a**e especially the muppet at the first change over who wandered across the route forcing several runners to either stop or take evasive action.

The idea of finishing in a stadium is great and was inspiring but they need to have a proper finish line next year. Do away with the goody bags and have people handout the medals as you walk around the rest of the pitch.

I did learn one valuable lesson which is don't let the wife influence what running gear you pack. The long sleeved top, jacket, gloves and hat made it out of but then back into the drawer and consequently never left southend but the shorts and sleeveless vest did! Oh well as they say what doesn't break you makes you stronger!!!
  • @Mark W. Agree, Marshalls were excellent.

I don't let my wife anywhere near my sports gear.I even wash it myself,never mind packing it! image

On anything else she rules,but not on this one.If I'd listened to her on Sunday I would be wearing the same gear as you did.....

• My Garmin and the orignal time were identical so I'll go with that regardless (no where near GFA so not an issue).  Agree about the 0.23 miles as my watch read 7.25 miles at 7 miles.

Always best to look after your own gear image

• Mine were one second apart. But distance 25.93 image
  • First proper run without any pain this morning so all good.

What's everyone doing for sending in GFA evidence, is a print-out of the Power of 10 rankings good enough?