Milton Keynes Marathon

Comments

• Hi Ross - I was going to do that, but on the race photo site you can download a certificate, so think i'm going to print that out and send in instead!
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    I am pretty pleased that my garmin (305) remained reasonably accurate, given that it was covered by my jacket throughout the race. I had lost a bit of confidence in it for pacing, but this was because I didn't understand why I was three minutes out when I checked at mile 8. It's my best running friend again, now I know why that happened.

My legs have recovered really well since the race. I'm trying to stay disciplined and treat this as "walking week".
  • I am more shoched that my 405 still works & it was over my jacket...image

I wish I had stretched out straight afterwards as am still having problems with the stairs.  Hoping to run saturday & play  footy sunday...!

• Footy!!!! Brave man Liam

Going for 3 mile jog tonight. Then training starts again in earnest at the weekend image
  • Hi all - my training has already started again, 5 miles yesterday and the same this morning tomorrow off and then 14 on Saturday, it is only 10 weeks until my ultra so the mileage really starts to go up now.

I personally dont care about the extra distance, just finishing and getting my medal in the conditions we experienced was enough, and I managed a 30 second pb so all good for me.

MarkD - what is your next challenge

• I agree, not really bothered about the extra length as I wasn't going (or near capable!) of a GFA time. I guess I can reduce my 3.54.26 to around 3.52 (in my head at least..) and make 3.45 a nice target for the next one.

Time to find a cheap half marathon to enter and work on my speed I think.
  • Spen. Not as big as your next one that's for sure. Gonna tone down the running and concentrate on building some strength over next few weeks. Couple of halves. Wycombe and maidenhead then eye balls out attempt to break 3.15 at Abingdon in October. Gonna use the P&D upto 75 mile plan. I respond better to higher mileage plans. Might look at a small Ultra next year if the wife allows it. Any suggestions around the 40 mile mark ? Just to dip my toe in the water image
  • MarkD - good luck in your training, I am sure you will get the result at Abingdon, for a small ultra I would suggest the Grim Reaper 40, it is the same course for the 70 and 100, you dont do as many laps, the laps are about 10 miles, and are through a country estate with a mixture of terrain, but mostly roads.
  • Did a session on the cross trainer last night and was fine. Going running with club tonight. Doing a 10k race on Monday.
  • 4 miles smooth for me tonight - if Mrs Cooks stamps my pass of course! image

• Enjoyed the race despite the conditions. Hats off to the organisers, marshals and volunteers and of course all the supporters for turning out in that weather.

Somehow managed to clock 3:14 dead, a PB by about 15:30 which I was over the moon with given the course, conditions and extra distance. My London GFA application is already in the post! image

Not sure if a sub-3 is a realistic target for London next year based on Sunday's effort, but think I'll train with that goal in mind.

• I dont seem to be able to make big advances on my pb for a marathon, what would you all advise

• Things could have been worse - this is part of the MK parkrun route yesterday.  Waist deep apparently!

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/562976_10150798146422410_211489082409_9637690_1200283486_n.jpg

• C&I Dad (SPEN) wrote (see)

I dont seem to be able to make big advances on my pb for a marathon, what would you all advise

What's your current training looking like?

• ross - I currently run about 4 times a week, with a mid week longer run about 10 miles, this is normally a tempo type run, I then have two easier runs of about 5 to 7 miles and then a long run at weekends, which will be between 14 to 35 miles over the next 10 weeks. I think one of mu major things to imrpove is losing weight.

USB - that does not look fun

• what's your PB Spen & what did you run MK in?

• Liam68 - MK was my pb at 4:29:22

• Spen, I think the best change you could do is join a club. Most clubs I know do interval work at least once a week and these are crucial to becoming quicker. They are also much easier and effective done in a group where you have others to work off an gauge progress

Owl

• BirminghamOwl -you have confirmed what i thought that a club is the next step for me, I will look into my local club.

• I'll second joining a club. Some things you can do for yourself though....

Either get yourself a copy of Daniels Running Formula, or use the Mcmillan training pace calculator to make sure you're doing your speed workouts (tempo and intervals) at the right pace. Tempos only work if you're pushing at the boundaries of your lactic threshold, too fast or two slow and they become a different type of workout.

Losing weight is a big help too, you'll be roughly 2 seconds per mile quicker for each pound of excess you lose.

• Interesting owl what you say about intervals. I've just started reading advanced marathoning and it's P&D schedules. They seem to place a lot less emphasis on interval training. They suggest that lactate threshold and long runs ( with quite a few miles at MP) are far more useful? Every time I read something it contradicts other people's views. This months RW has an article on Zapotnek who apparently invented interval training. He was pretty special tho. He also trained in army boots for extra resistance. image I've found that if you can't join a club do runs with a friend who's faster than you on a few tempo runs. This encourages to carry on when you might drop off if you were on your own image
  • Just read on website that the detour was very last minute. The river actually burst its banks after the race had started!!!! Given what happened at Stratford I'm respecting the organisers even more image
  • thanks for all your advice, I have contacted the local club, and awaiting a response.

• We do a Fartlek every Tuesday at work - not sure how good it is for marathon training but anything that gets your legs used to running faster must be a good thing...?  I would have done more but for various reasons I missed a few.  I am a member at MKAC but tend more to run with mates at work which is basically a support group!

I used a sub4 programme I found online & adapted it but basically week consisted of  a LSR, x1 tempo, fartlek or interval session, x2 5/6 miles & a longish one in the week peaking at ten the week I did my first 20. 

This year I concentrated a lot on core work in my training & also my diet (including really carb loading the week before).  I also listened to my body & didn't run when feeling a bit rough.  I also didn't run after the wednesday before the race & although feeling a bit tired I couldn't believe the difference to Brighton when I hit the wall.  Anyway, smashed my PB & ran 3.58 & felt tip-top!

Lastly, I really enjoyed using this forum for all the tips, advice etc.  But what I've really learnt is that we are all different & no plan is the same...

good luck

• MarkD: The interval sessions come later in P&D, plenty of Lactate Threshold runs in the early training, these are replaced by intervals as the race gets nearer

• Great thread! My first marathon and absolutely loved it despite the weather and all the other minor niggles. Would have loved someone to put the medal over my neck - and a foil blanket. I have never been so cold and wet in my life.

However, can someone confirm where the actual finish line was? I have assumed it was where the two red strips and the clock were?

• think so - it was next to the players tunnel - as you came into the stadium turn right, then left - then half way along...mad wasn't it?!

• I find the difficulty at a club session is having something for everyone. For marathon training one might want to do 1 mile reps or even 2 mile reps. However, for most people not training for marathons 800m reps might be the norm and more appropriate. However, like fartleks or yasso 800s, these are stressing the muscles to run faster than usual and the resulting adaptations will always be useful - if not optimal for you.

Owl

• Tricia, I'm would have agreed with Liam EXCEPT I started and stopped my watch when going over the timing mats (the one Liam suggests) and my chip time is about 18 secs LESS than my watch time. This I can't account for. Anyone else ?

Owl

• I ran a 3:46 last October and thought I would struggle to improve on that... At the time I had high mileage, cross training, intervals and tempos in the plan. November I joined a club and started running with some guys much quicker than me, the result is 5 mins off my time in just 6 months on a course that was too long! I have no idea how, but joining the club has made a massive difference even though i've not changed my actual training - if anything i'm doing less speed work, but I guess i'm just operating out of my comfort zone more and have to keep going due to the fact i'm with a group rather than running alone... I am definitely sold on the benefits of a club!