Milton Keynes Marathon

Comments

• Hi Tenjiso, Im also doing the Watford half. Its a tough course with some hard hills. Usually the weather is freezing cold for this one but who knows next yr!!!

I lv doing this one as its the first tough half of the yr and lets u know where u r with ur training. I would suggest run the first half slow/steady and then if u feel ok after the hills let yourself go for the second half of the run. Im aiming for between 1hr 40/1hr 45 so if ur thinking of same time may be we could meet up. I train with my local running club St Albans striders and this is one of r local races so there should b a few of us there.

Just been out for a nice LSR of 11miles today, dont feel guilty about drinking tonight now!!!! Going to go to gym tomorrow sometime for a swim, sauna, steam room good way to start the new yr.

Hope everyone running is going ok, it now starts to turn up a gear, but a least we can start to look forward to the spring.

Happy running

• Thanks for the info Stephen. I don't suppose you know how it compares to the Bedford Half Marathon course? That one was quite hilly, though I don't think that I would describe any as particularly hard - nothing really steep. From your description, perhaps I had better not go out for a sub-2:00 PB and save that effort for the MK Half in March. Unless the next five weeks training goes really well. I certainly agree with the negative split, it worked well for me at Bedford and I beat my target time.
  • Just done my first 10 miler today. Was quite hard but I'm pleased that I finished. Time - 2:05 so not too bad for me
  • I'm in, 17 week plan started yesterday with a 5 mile raceimage.

Here's hoping it will be cool and cloudy, alternatively let it be really shaded.

• I've got my fingers crossed for cool and cloudy too, because MK is very open, so not much shade to be had.   Maybe a little bit on the woody sections/canal, but other than that not much.

If its warm, i plan to have strategically placed supporters with large bottles of water to pour over me!! - it should be easy to spot supporters, as i would think they'll be quite thinly distributed.

Also, other than around the stadium, i think it should be very easy for supporters to get from point to point on the course.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    The registration is open for the training run on Feb 19. Check your email, or log back on to the registration site to update your entry details. It's free to take part and there are 14 mile and 10 mile routes.

I see they are giving away Hi5 gels, but I can't remember seeing that they were being handed out during the marathon itself? I only saw water and Lucozade Sport being available, unless there is an update.

Should be useful to try out a section of the actual marathon course.
  • I've managed (eventually) to get registered for the training run.....had a spot of bother with the website, so ended up e-mailing them directly, but all sorted now.

Apparently there are limited places for this (don't know how many) and it's filling up fast, so i'm told!!!

• Hello folks,

Perennial question that comes up in most marathon threads... what distance are people training up to? I tried following the advice of training upto 20 miles for my first marathon but remembered the wheels came off rather painfully at 19 miles and had a forgettable last 7 miles left to run.

I've done a 20 miler and could probably push further until the end of March, but interested to hear what the more experienced folks would recommend.

• Well i'm not experienced (only done 1 other Marathon too), but i trained to 22 miles, and plan to again.   My 22 miler gave me confidence that i could do the final 4.2.
  • I am following a training plan which has 3 x 20 mile runs, one or two I will do in races, poss push one up to 21 miles but no further, experience tells me this is sufficient.  (this will be my 14th mara), I am swimming one night instead of my post LSR sunday run

I have also hit the wall at 19/20 miles before and now use a mixture of glucose tablets and jelly beans plus whatever drink is available

• Unfortunately I won't be able to do the official training run as am doing the Wokingham half on the same day.
  • Some people say that your 5 longest runs should add up to 100 miles.

I think that this is generally pretty sounds advise.

To get around the distance (realatively comfortably) its not the case of how far your longest run was but a combination of ALL your long runs and what sort of weekly mileage you have been running over the last few years.

Swapping a single run from 20 to 22 or 22 to 20 will make no difference on the day. Your body cannot adapt from a single run.

It is the accumulative effect that really counts. Steady and consistant training will win the day. 

• Hi my training has 2 x20 and 2x22 and 1x26.2 (Brighton Marathon), I agree with SeanG about the five longest runs are meant to add upto 100 miles, from my experience and I am far from elite it is consistency and the mental boost given by doing 22 miles that helped me.
  • Thanks folks, that's very useful feedback. The main adjustment I've made to my previous marathon training is to increase my overall mileage and runs per week.

• Increasing your weekly mileage and runs per week will help enromously IMHO.

What sort of weekly mileage do you run and over how many runs per week?

• Is anyone else doing Jantastic ?/
  • Sean G... I run 4x per week, sometimes get a 5th one in. Mileage average now 42 miles.

• Not doing Jantastic. I generally run 6 or 7 days a week anyway and clock up around 50 to 60 miles a week. Haven't got anymore time to squeeze in any extra runs. I take a rest day as and when work/domestics conspire to prevent me from running.

SleepyLion - you must be getting some long runs in there if your averaging 42 miles a week from 4 or 5 runs a week. 5 days a week on a regular basis will bring your running on in leaps and bounds.

• Hi Everyone,

I'm a bit late onto this thread (if you'll have me) and it sounds like there's some good running taking place.

I've just entered MK as a training motivator due to having a "reserve" ballot place for London with my running club... Otherwise there would've been too little running and too much beer and cake if called upon!!

Whether MK or VLM, this will be my second marathon and i'm aiming not to repeat the mistakes i made in training last time (2010), such as overtraining and not listening when my body yelled ENOUGH!!!

I'm aiming for sub 3.30 with a cheeky eye on a possible sub 3.15, but if the wheels fall off again, plan b is sub 3.45.

Week 2 of the RW schedule is going well at present with last night's 5m @ 8.00 min/ml pace achieved nice and comfortably, so fingers crossed to stay relatively injury-free this time.

Is anyone else following this programme???

Oompa 

• Hi oompa and welcome.

Im sort of following the asics online plan although I tend to do my own thing with work and building in races.

Im also aiming for sub 3:30 as my pb is 3:33

I had a rubbish run last Sunday, but have followed that up with a great 3mile fast run on Tue and a good mid tempo 5.5mile run today. Im doing the fred hughes 10mile run this sunday which my local running club organises. Not sure if any one else is doing this one?

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Hi Oompa, I'm loosely following one of the RW plans for a sub 4:30.

I was going well until I suffered groin strain on Monday. I've been icing the injury and taking ibuprofen. This evening I did some light walking with a few minutes at 11:00 pace as a test. I'm hoping for a swift recovery and that it doesn't affect my overall plan.

Good luck with the Fred Hughes 10 Stephen. My next race will be the Watford Half Marathon. I just received my number yesterday.
  • Thanks for the warm welcome guys,

Sorry to hear of your injury Tenjiso, R.I.C.E is definitely the answer.

Good to hear that we can "compare notes" Stephen, as I desperately want to get under 3.30 this time.

Only managed a 3.52 last time as I got injured 10 days before the race!
  • Hi all, I am following my own plan, which has been developed over the last few years, and is also geared up as a good base for an ultra in July. Looking forward to my 18 miler tomorrow morning.

Tenjsio - hope the groin strain gets better soon, dont rush it though make sure it has healed.

Oompa - welcome, you are much faster than me.

take care everyone

• Hi SPEN, 18 miles already?

Is this with a view to your ultra, as i'm only due for a 12 miler this weekend?

I totally agree about devising your own plan, in my previous attempt at a marathon, i became a slave to the programme which ultimately ended in injury.

Fingers crossed this time.image 

• I am doing a preparatory 10k race this tomorrow. Am down for a further half in February and a twenty miler in March. May do another 20 mile race in Feb as well.

Is anyone else doing prep races?
  • Hi All, did my Fred Hughes 10mile race this morning. Really good 1hr 16min 13 secs. Tough hilly run and fairly windy. But felt really good for my first race of the yr. Good prep shows my training is going well.

Im going to do more of these fast paced training runs. Really helps to know what the pace will be like on the day. Im in Brighton marathon as well so dont know how I will feel by the time MK comes along, but Im determined to try and get both under 3hrs 45min and one of them break the 3hrs 30min mark.

Going to now chill out this afternoon watch lots of football and probably fall asleep.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Good time for the 10 miles Stephen. Nice confidence builder.

My "long" run this week is 10km :/

I seem to be recovering from the groin strain, but keeping to slow paced short runs until I'm sure it's healed. I'm hoping to run 14 miles next week, which was originally scheduled for yesterday.
  • 12 miles done and dusted today in 1:55.   Trust me to do a route where the last 2 miles were uphill into a headwind, but there you go!!

• Good weather today for the Fred Hughes, I've been laid up a bit recenly so only managed 2 runs in the last month so was happy just to get round.  Ramping up the number of runs and mileage over the next few weeks and have Watford half and Wokingham half next month before some races while on holiday in March.  Last race before the marathon will be Reading half.  If I can get three 21 milers in between Reading and MK I'll be happy with that.  Hope everyone managed some good runs over the weekend image
  • Evening all,

Ticked off my 12 miler today in 1hr 44 mins and felt fairly comfortable.

Surrey Runner - I'm doing the Tunbridge Wells Half and thinking of doing Paddock Wood Half as well although it holds bad memories from last year (knee injury @ 5 miles).

Not sure about doing a 20 as I think it might be asking too much of my injury prone knees before MKM???

Well done to the guys who raced the Fred Hughes 10 today.