Milton Keynes Marathon

Comments

• Hi Oompa

Ditto here re HM plans - I like you're style!!!

Up to 17 on the long one at the weekend - am taking a recovery week a week early this week, am a bit coldified!! image

Cooks 

• Hi Cooks,

Are you doing T Wells & Paddock Wood???

It would be good to put forum faces to names.

Oh, lastly what does "coldified" mean????

• Hi there,

Certainly am, not done either yet despite being local, so very much looking fwd to ita defo good re putting a face to names.....

Sorry - full of cold. Am taking my recovery week one week early to get over it. Don't want things to slip this early......
  • Cooks - You're right to take it easy if you're unwell... still plenty of training left to do.

I'm trying not to repeat previous mistakes, so have pre-booked sports massages and podiatrist appointments to give myself the best chance of getting a good time.

We'll have to swap race numbers etc... nearer to T Wells & Paddock Wood Half's.

Question to one & all:- In my previous marathon, despite using High 5 energy gels (5 x caffeine & 1 normal), i felt especially cr*p from 17 miles onwards. It was quite hot towards the end (VLM 2010) and i lost a lot of fluid/sweat despite drinking regularly?

Firstly, does anyone have any experience of taking salt tablets?

Secondly, i'm thinking of trying Clif Shot Bloks this time... any thoughts/previous experiences??

Oompa

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭
    Oompa - I have carried salt tablets in my 1 marathon and 2 ironman races incase I have cramped up, but never used them. I carry a couple in my bum bag for insurance.

I did 15 miles at the weekend but wasn't 100% when I set off and I now have a cold and cough and feel poo so I guess I have to take this week off. Boo. I am doing the experienced (hmm, not that I am experienced) 3 x a week plan.

I am also doing Wokingham half so can't do the practice run. Shame.

My target time will be between 4h15 and 4h30 depending on how much weight i can lose and how much training i get done. Off to the US on holiday next week which won't help either!

Oh have also entered Surrey spitfire 20 miler and Kingston breakfast run 16 mile run races.
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    PipG - my target times are similar to yours (4:20 - 4:30) and I'm also hoping to lose more weight prior to the marathon (ten pounds would be good).
  • Oompa,

Caffeine overload? I too use High 5 too but during a marathon I will take only 4. Caffeine gel at 5 and 15 and nomal ones at 10 and 20. That is more than enough to get around coupled with slurps of water and whatever else is on offer. 5 caffeine gels would have me pretty wired!

Would have said that there was no need to take any form of salt or electolyes during a marathon BUT id I was to take anything I would take some electrolyte tablets before but not during. 

Definitely worth looking around and trying out different brands - used to use the SIS Go Isotonic ones but found them a bit gloopy. My favourite is the High 5 Banana Blast.

• Oompa - I have used endurolyte tablets during an ultra and they worked really well, I sufferred in my last marathon with cramp, and would always carry salt tablets with me now, even on long runs, but very rarely need them. I also agree with Sean G that the amount of gels seems high, what time did it take you. I have used shotblox as they are given out at the Brighton Marathon, and I like them, but it is a personal choice.

take care everyone and good running

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    If you haven't already checked - it's worth a look at the MK marathon map to see the location of the water and Lucozade Sport stations. The good news is that the fluids are supplied in 330ml bottles. I'm probably going to revert to Lucozade gels, because they are smaller than the other gels (e.g. SIS - which I found very sticky to use, though I found them easier to swallow when there was no water) and there is plenty of water available in bottles. I may also take some Nuun tablets, because I can add these to a water bottle.

I think I read something about High5 gels being given out at the MK training run, but I don't think they are doing this in the marathon itself.
  • Tenjiso - High5 gels are available in the marathon itself at the 12 and 21 mile water stations
  • my favourite gels are torq, the flavours are good.
  • TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Thanks Colmeister - I missed that info.

• Thanks for all your words of wisdom guys.

PipG - Would you only recommend salt tablets to avoid cramping then as this was the one thing that i didn't suffer with!?

Sean G - I originally had 10 gels (9 x caffeine & 1 normal) packed in my race belt as High 5's literature recommended a gel every 20 mins on top of x2 half an hour before the race start !!!! However, last time i didn't drink any Lucozade Sport, only water, so this may have had an effect???

SPEN - I'm getting confused about electrolyte tablets as i only seem able to get ones that have to be made into a drink and i've got enough to concern myself with/too bone idle (delete as applicable), to do this prior to the race, so thought that salt tablets could be the answer? I ended up hobbling around VLM 2010 in 3 hrs 52 mins in the end.image

I am going to take the Shot Bloks on my 12 miler this Sunday, although i think the real test will be when the programme gets up to the 18-20 mile long runs.

• Hi all, not a good week for me ref training. After my excellent 10mile race last sunday, Ive only been out once since to do aneasy 4miles. Work has been crazy, although good news is Iv completed hard bit of work so should have more time on my hands now.

Going to go out for a LSR tomoorow, min 12miles may be up to 14miles see how I feel. Want to take it easy and stay out for 1hr 45/ 2hrs. Glad Ive got some hols in Feb, going to need to put in a good months training then to get back on track.

I use high5 which are good, along with jelly babies (before a long run) and lux gels that im finishing off.

Nearer the time Im going to use what is being given out at Brighton/mk marathons.

Good luck to all this weekend

• Just back from my LSR -13 miles @ 8.18 m/ml.

Tried the Shot Bloks... Nearly choked on one much to the amusement of passing motorists! However, they did the trick and the strawberry flavour is nice.

Rest day tomorrow, thank goodness.
  • 14.5 miles sorted!!!!  Albeit at slightly slower than normal pace, as running with others.  But that's no bad thing i guess, as i still felt quite fresh at the end.
  • A good 11.5 for me today. Felt pretty good all the way, very cold outside today. Going to pick up my training this week and really start to get into training. Off to sports shop Thursday, get some more new shoes/kit/and gels ect. That will keep me motivated.

Any of u ever tried running shoes where u dont have to have socks?

• Did 23.39 miles today at 7.32 m/m pace. Had planned on going 20 but got a bit lost and had to ask directions twice. Felt I could have easily pushed on to 26.2.

I tried out Lucozade in my camel with no ill effects plus had one gel - messed up a bit on the gel and some of it ended up on my face.

• Surrey Runner - 23.39 miles @7.32!!!!!!!!!!

Great running but what programme are you on with this many miles so soon?
  • oompa - hobbling around in 3:52, that is much faster than me. Like i said before I use endurolytes i get them on line from hammer nutrition, they also do loads of other goodies.

you all seem much faster than me, so the only chance of seeing you will be at the finish, it was a rest day for me yesterday but going out for a 10 miler when I get home.

take care

• Oompa,

I have a 20 mile race at Bramley on the 12th so wanting to make sure that I can do it.

SR
  • Reserve parking at £5, is up on the website now - done mine!!!

I just need to check if the barcoded receipt will be needed on the day, as my printer isn't HD enough for it to print properly, as it comes out as a fuzzy black mess (won't be scannable)??

Anyone know??

• I've booked my parking too. It's one less thing to stress about on the day and I hadn't realised that there is no parking at the stadium. Clamshell, I haven't seen anything about needing the barcode. It just says to take the print-out of the receipt to get access.

I can't believe we're into February already and I have my first build-up race this weekend (Watford Half). Marathon training certainly helps the winter months fly by.

Hope everybody's training is going well.
  • i've checked and no, they dont need the barcode.   Also spectators are allowed to come and go from the car-park (they'll need the receipt to get back in again), but the shuttle buses won't be running during the race, so they'll have to walk to the stadium and back (about 1 mile each way)
  • Hi all , this will be my first marathon and i'm with SPEN i don't think i will be any where near some of you but hopefully i will finish, have enjoyed  reading your comments and taking in the information. Training was going well but just picked up an ankle injury hopefully a few days rest will ease it .

As i don't drive i will be travelling by coach from Birmingham as a train wouldn't get me there on time and can't really stop the night, would anyone local  know if the shuttle buses will be running from the coachway , or would i need to get into the city center ? Thanks in advance

• It's 20 minutes walk to the bowl from the station which is next to Furzton. I should think that the Bowl is where the parking will be.
    Why can't we park at the stadium?, we have paid enough. I might park at Asda.
  • 13 miles on the dread mill for me today... I don't think I've ever been more bored!!!
  • Oompa - I also ran 13 miles on the treadmnill, because the Watford Half Marathon was cancelled. I listened to marathontalk podcasts and the time flew past. Personally, I like treadmill running, but I do vary my routines a lot.
  • Tenjiso - The dreadmill definitely served a purpose yesterday as i saw a fellow runner go over on the snow whilst on my way to the gym!

I also use the treadmill for intervals and sometimes hill sessions as i can set the speed and angle accurately, but on a long slow run, i just find it tedious.

Interested to hear about "marathon talk" podcasts. Is this some kind of motivational thing, and where do you find them???

Rest day and a sports massage for me this evening, which has been timed to perfection as my right knee is quite swollen, and left calf quite tight from yesterday... bring it on!

• Oompa - marathon talk podcasts can be downloaded from the website just search for marathontalk, or you can get them through itunes. They are really good, and have just celebrated their second birthday so young will have loads of back episodes to listen to.