Dogs and Running

Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
This article discussed how to deal with dogs while cycling and running, and the RSPCA approach is to report it to them - which I admit will be of limted use if the dog and owner is in a public space.

Comments

• JWrunJWrun ✭✭✭

I was out for 5 miles yesterday and must have run past 20/25 dogs non of which were agressive or jumped up, a nice lab followed me for a bit but that was it, i've just not seen any agression from dogs when out on my runs and i run past them all the time, i'm therefore wondering if its more to do with you (the runner)  than the dog?

Granted some dogs are misbehaved but if a dog feels threatened surely its due to somethng you're doing, I generally wear shades when i'm out, maybe not being able to see your eyes has something to do with it but i'm also very confident around dogs and am not scared of them, don't like some breeds but don't portray that.

Just a thought anyway...... I'll let you know if i'm attacked next time i'm out!

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

I get chased by a pair of dogs everytime I go running. One of them is constantly tripping me up.

But they are mine so 'spose I can't do anything about it.....image

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • I'm the same JW,

I like dogs but you never know if you're about to encounter a nice one or a nasty one so I always ignore them and avoid eye contact. It helps that I encounter most of mine along the canal where they're usually too interested in tracking the smells of other dogs/ducks/rats to take any notice of me.

I felt more threatened by a small flock of chavvy geese I had to run past once image 

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

I'm the same JW,

I like dogs but you never know if you're about to encounter a nice one or a nasty one so I always ignore them and avoid eye contact. It helps that I encounter most of mine along the canal where they're usually too interested in tracking the smells of other dogs/ducks/rats to take any notice of me.

I felt more threatened by a small flock of chavvy geese I had to run past once image 

chavvy geese?

That I would like to see.

Ive rarely had any issues with dogs either 

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Don't have problems with dogs where I am, but am attacked everyday by seagulls, to the point I was actually hit by one last week -  - so I am hopefull that their young will leave the nest soon and I will be fine.

(got chased by a bear once in Bulgaria whilst running too!)

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Dogs are only a problem for me when they run out of nowhere at you - well it feels like nowhere when you are running through woods. Often highly excited as well. I think they like runners to chase for fun, a bit more exercise. It's a pain when you have to retrace your steps to find the blinking owner though. The problem is that there are so many dog walking companies that I don't think the dogs know who they are with half the time.

I think being chased by a bear pips any dog tale.

• If I am ever unsure about a dog I just slow to a walk and drop my hands to the side...........giving the owner time to shout it back........

i think a running pose with hands infront of you with the hands clenched is aggresive so I always change it if in doubt of a dog..............dogs are like kids unpredictable so I change my running to adapt for them............image

• Put your hands over your bollox. They are difficult to sew back on I hear.
  • Running through my local park, I get two types of dog owner. One is the owner who sees
    you and control their dog. The other is the one who stands there saying the dog doing no
    harm while the dog is running round trying to jump at you.

Sometimes not looking at the dog works. But if they do approach, I growl at them which
    seems to scare them off.

My uncle once said to me a dog owner who cannot control their dog is one who cannot
    control their own life.
  • I just got back from a training run with my collie. He was attacked by a German Shepherd so that was an eventful couple of minutes. Never mind.
  • Having been attacked by a dog whilst running (never to return to the park where it happened) I think I am still a little afraid when dogs run up to me.

And I grew up with a bloody great big beautiful long haired German Shepherd! image I still miss her - the best doggie that ever lived. image

• No bad dogs only bad dog owners.

• I had never had a problem with dogs until yesterday when 2 huge beasts the size of (small) horses came at me through long grass in a kind of pincer movement.  One actually got its mouth around my elbow before the owner managed to pursuade them away from me.

• There are more dogs than kids where i am, it's the countryside, have had dog bite bark and chase me into a 60 mph road twice, also been chased a few times on field/footpath runs 'he's not normally like this daahling he just thinks you're a burglar' seems to be a perfectly reasonable excuse.
    One dog down the end of the road, one of those mini horses, broke its metal chain (which was so long the neighbours couldn't get to thei front door) 3 times, the final time chasing, biting and mangling the hand of another dog owner in our road.
    It's when they're chasing my young children in the park that i get really angry, because they're only little.
    But there's nothing you can do.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

We used to have two huge german shepherds and they were well trained and used to run along with me quite often. They were the best protection i ever had! One place that i would never run again with dogs is Windsor Great Park (Virginia Water). The amount of dogs running loose or without proper attention is amazing.

I completely agree - there are no such thing as bad dogs - just bad owners.

• This weekend I was out walking in the dales and mid walk a greyhound came bounding up to me and jumped up. It had been in muddy water and covered me in mud. I was a bit shocked but I never felt under threat from the dog because I could tell it was only being friendly. The owners were standing staring at a waterfall and didn't even react, as if it were the most normal thing in the world to allow your animal to roam free in a public place and leap on complete strangers, destroying their clean clothing.

All I actually wanted was an acknowledgement and an apology. I got neither.

I decided NOT to kick off in the end but with hindsight I think I should really have gone and pushed the feckers in that waterfall to see how THEY like it.

• parkrunfanparkrunfan ✭✭✭

I must be an oddity because I actively look to play with any dogs I encounter on runs. Most of them love a bit of attention but you do get the odd one that rolls it eyes in a 'I wish that man would go away' type look! image

And considering that I have actually been bitten by a rabid dog (and still have the teeth marks in my leg and memories of the pain of the daily intramuscular stomach injections image) you would think that I'd be a bit more wary. Then again, its not really a risk you encounter in rural Yorkshire.....