Options

Enduroman 1st - 10th June 2012

Comments

• Options
    I want to know what you were doing with your arse out in the woods at Avon Tyrell!
  • Options
    i am on my third rest day in a row and looking at things it might be a week of rest days
  • Options
    Lots of rest days for me too.

Was going to start exercising again today but now have a horrid cold image

I could go for a run but I guess it wouldn't be very sensible.
  • Options

Dont get concerned about these rest days, its just your body recovering ready to push on and beast the last month of training.

Its about the long haul, 20, 30 weeks not about one down week and the rest will do you more good than pushing against the tide when your not 100%.

• Options
    somemore rest days here.....

half term...appointments for people with the house and the flat.....and general problems with me mean that once again its one of those weeks where i do nothing.......i seem to need one of these every 4 or 5 weeks....

be great to see some of you on Sunday up in the big city.....

my bike is mended so i will get out on it in the morning for a short ride unless its pouring with rain.......
  • Options
    1 hr run for me tonight, still full of a cold though so definitely not 100%

Seren - Good news about the bike image
  • Options

Does anyone know if the "you must book food by the 1st April" is a flexible arrangement or date has gone, missed the boat simple as!!

Didn't realise the cut off may be so early. Not really for me but for my brothers to have brekkie on the Sunday and all of us have a meal on the Saturday night before.

Not a problem if we missed it just wondering. I'll phone them tomorrow anyway and see.

Hope the weather isn't too bad tomorrow, longish bike if possible. Had 4 days off myself, kinda felt a bit tired and the legs tight after the longer run the other day. Thought it may have been beneficial. I'm on leave from 8am in the morning so just need to book a change in the weather from then for the next 12 and that will do me mighty fineimage

Have a great weekend every one.

Purple I don't like the mention of the c word, kids are back in school. Seren, glad the bike is fixed up.

• Options
    Chilliboy, last year was a flexible arrangement, i.e. I bought food tickets for what I needed when I arrived but I do remember that they were asking for you to book ahead so they had an idea of how many to feed.  I dont know if you could guarantee getting food tickets on arrival.

In other news, ive been struggling with training this week, I think my big bike week last week left my legs fatigued.  That said ive been pushing on in the hope that despite the discomfort im training my legs to function when theyre tired and hopefully adapting my muscles to cope with the day.  Saturdays planned 4 hour run (probably with an hour of walking mixed in?) should be interesting.

Im really enjoying the training now though, the motivation ive gained from Seren and Purple has really spurred me on.  If id not met them for the training weekend im sure id not be where I am now or as motivated. 

I know we're all fighting different battles to get through the training but keep focussed and positive, we'll all go through rough patches.  Im not sure really how much will be gained over the next 4/5 weeks so training smart and managing any injuries/illness should be the main focus.  Half the battle will be getting to the start line fit and well rested. 

Come 11th June it will all be worth it. 
  • Options

Got in a 40.5 mile bike today in between torrential rain showers. It was quite warm when it wasn't raining but straight away got chilled right back down. Eventually a bit too wet.

Barley I had 4 days off and felt much better for it. 

• Options
    Wise words Barley image

I have finally recovered from my cold and other ails.

I had 6 enforced rest days.

I was due to do a 26 mile run on Saturday and 26 miles on Sunday. On Saturday I managed 20 but my chest was sore and my heart wasn't in it.

Sunday I gave myself a good talking too - 26 miles was really hard, but I kept thinking of all those doing VLM. Was very pleased to finish.

And the good news is that today I feel great, no tiredness imageimageimage I feel like I have spent so long feeling tired and today I just feel fab that it has gone (for now). Possibly the training is finally paying off ??

and my legs feel fine !

Hope everyone else had a good weekend training.

imageimage

• Options

Rest days probably did you good Purple. Great miles running though.

Puts me to shame again with my 8.4 miles last night. Not done anything today. Workmen at house, kids after school etc etc ( excuse, excuse )

Bike tomorrow hopefully and run long on Wednesday. Aiming for 4 to 4 1/2 hours on bike tomorrow and 2.30 to 2.45 run on Wednesday.

Waiting for news of when the tri club starts open water swimming in the Tyne. I'm sure it was April last year but maybe it was early May. It'll be a first whatever other than being in there in a drysuit, boots and flotation device!! May be able to swim properly in just the wetsuit.

Less than 7 weeks to go.

Entered Liverpool marathon last night.

• Options
    My training schedule is biult on blocks of training days with all three disciplines covered on each training day, then days completely off inbetween blocks which seems to have worked well, but  we'll see down at AT.
  • Options
    after a weks rest.my legs were still tired for the marathon......ran the first 17 miles but it was slow and getting slower.but concentrated on enjoying the day and hi 5 ing the kids.....

then stopped for drinks and food at mudchute for 20 mins and then ran /walked to the end.......

my slowest ever road marathon bt a long short at 5:25....but i'm still in one piece and hopefully will start to get some bike and run sessions in this week.and hopefully the knee is still in one piece.....
  • Options

Seren, hope the knee is ok today. Was the Mudchute (?) stop put in as prep for eating on the go for the double? Having never ran that far 5.25 with a 20 min stop and run/walk still seems good to me.

Out on bike today. Did 63.7 miles in 4hr 3mins ave 15.7mph. Not a lot of wind out but got caught in a few monster downpours that got you freezing straight away. Quite happy with that. I'm just hoping that my perception that it is hillier here than at AT comes trueimage otherwise I'm knackered!!

Long run tomorrow. Think I'll have to grin and bear it, the forecast from yesterday wasn't good.

• Options
    good cycling there chilli

I have been swimming........the positive is that i went further than ever before....4.2k before they chucked me out..........the negative is I was so slow that even if i maintain that pace i will be well out side the cutoffs........

must think about fitting in more sessions.......

and the forecast for tomorrow looks horrendous for my planned bike ride
  • Options

Why did they chuck you out? I'm with you on fitting more swimming in. I'm still sadly lacking in that dept but the swims I have done I was quite positive about. Longest so far was 2800m in around 1hr 10 mins. I'm looking for that sort of pace on the day giving a swim time of around 1hr 30 mins. Didn't someone ( yourself? ) make comment once over that if you are moving and getting there the enduroman team may extend the cut off time slightly?

As I said run tomorrow morning and I'll get 30 mins in at the pool from 4 - 4.30 when the kids have their lessons. 30 mins that should be about a mile and a half!!!! I've seen other peoples maths on here 2012 + 2 is definately 2013 in my book.

Hop the rain isn't so bad for us but if it is just think of it as character buildingimage

• Options
    the enduroman team are great about cutoffs..the only problem is I'm doing the double which has now been IUTA sanctioned so I think they might have to be stricter with us...

the pool was closed for public swimming at 11 am......
  • Options
    good news for the run course.......the slight changes has made it easier with the big slope that became a slide taken out.slightly more climbing each lap but the whole thing is more runable apparantley.....

the best news is that they have accurately measure it and so it will only be 24 laps per ironman and sio we will have 4 less laps to do for the double.......image

now i just need to sort out the swim....for the single the swim cutoff is 2.5 hours.......for the double its only 3.5 hours........

saying yesterday my first mile took me 48 mins and the second took me 47 mins.......the maths aint looking good...will try and go for a shorter session friday and try and up the pace.....
  • Options

What time did you do on the day last year for the single swim?

Sounds like you think the run course will be a bit better than last year, I've got nothing to go on other than the google map link thing!!

Well I did a 16 mile run this morning. 2 hr 43 mins. Had 2 very short stops back at my house at 8 and 12 miles to have a little to eat and refill water bottle. Experimenting a bit. Had porridge for the first time for breakfast about 1hr 30 before my run. Seemed to be ok and I didn't feel the need to burp any of it!! Had malt loaf on my 2 stops, again stayed down fine. Had rice pudding yesterday on the bike, again no repercussions. A few other things to try in the next few weeks.

Got away with the weather but its meant to be coming this afternoon. Looking at the forecast I'm guessing you didn't get out on the bike Seren. It looked shocking down the South of Wales.

• Options
    that is a good run session you did theere chilli......

i didn't go out on the bike yesterday as it was my birthday and wasn't going to get wet and miserable.......went out this morning and managed 41 miles....it didn;t rain all the time but was still a bit miserable....

i did 1:27 last year...i always go faster in races....but i seem to have lost a lot of speed....so will work on my swimming this weekend......

general opinion is that the run lap is much better this year
  • Options
    Update;

Ive been suffering with a bit of backpain since last Saturday, its not serious but uncomfortable and means ive hardly been ticking over.  Had to abondon my swim yesterday morning after 30 minutes and last nights run became an hour walk.

Seeing a physio at 4pm today so hopefully ill get a diagnosis and hope it will clear up soon.  Need to really monster the training for the next 2 weeks before I start cutting back slightly so fingers crossed.

Good to hear the run lap is better, ive been using a 2 mile off road route near my house which hopefully simulates the course, only trouble is ive not run for much more than 2.5 hours.  When I get to the run at AT I know its just going to be a mental battle vs fatigue and soreness, not much more I can do at this late stage.  

5K swimathon on Saturday & Milton Keynes Marathon Sunday should be a bit more in the way of fatigue aclimitisation (back permitting)

• Options
    I am abandoning all running from now to try and get my knee to heal....but i will u the swimming and try and get some bike miles in..i need to motivate myself.....i think i might just go out one night and try and cycle somewhere i have never cycled and then cycle back in the morning..
  • Options
    Are you still on for a bit of OW swimming followed by cycling 12th May?
  • Options
    I am at the moment.....
  • Options
    Ive been poked and prodded, seems I have a muscle strain, nothing serious.  Rest for a couple of days and streches. 

Depending on how I feel im cleared for swimathon and MK marathon.
  • Options
    Just make sure you get to the start line in reasonable shape Barley image
  • Options

Dead quick question, quick answers much appreciated;

Is there much for a 5 and 7 year old girl to do around AT grounds whilst I am doing the event? I guess anything really is weather dependant.

Any answers much appreciatedimage

• Options
    There's a bunch of activities but I'm not sure whether they are available to individuals rather than groups, last year Enduroman listed on their site the times that those activities were running, may be worth dropping Steve an email to see or failing that AT themselves.

That's not much help is it really?
  • Options

Thanks, SyM.es. More just wondering if with my missus and brothers could possibly set themselves away in the grounds on an adventure/nature walk/anything like that to use a bit of time rather than " when will we see dad again at the turning circle?"

I'm sure if the weather is fine there will be no problems, the kids are great and will be happy with suporting dad and maybe walking around watching others. I just don't want it to become a chore for the little ones. Anyway, I think it is a life lesson for them that exercise is good for you and look at all the others here doing just that and succeeding at what they set out to do.

I'm off to bed.

Happy birthday Seren!!

Barley, take it easy fella hope this week goes well for you.

• Options
    There are a few nature trails that seemed well signposted, pretty big grounds there so should occupy them while you're out and about.