Enduroman 1st - 10th June 2012

Comments

• missed the swim today for an oesteopath appointment........ny neck, and back are grateful and he confirmed that the knee problems in the medial ligaments....so i will carry on cycling and swimming and bin the running for now
  • Looks like we are all suffering a little.

I spoke too soon on Monday. Since then I have suffered from tiredness that has just got worse each day. On Thursday I tried a swim but abandoned it after 1500m. Today I abandoned my bike because of the weather, but I was also still feeling really tired. My muscles feel fine, I was bombing up the hills, but its like my head can't be bothered.

I fell asleep when I got back. I keep having days off in the hope that I will feel better but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

I had a bit of cry this morning because its so frustrating. I think I need to man up and put the whole thing in perspective i think!

I'm meeting up with a friend later, hopefully it will take my mind of the whole thing.

I hope you all have a good weekend.

Sorry for moaning

• Purple....i keep on ahving weeks off......todays bike ride only turned out to be about 30 miles so have planned a long bike ride for Tuesday....going a long way away and then will have to make it back home again.thinking of making it over 150 miles as i seem to want to get one of those in......i'm hoping a change of roads will do me good.......as i seem to be fed up with cycling the same roads......i need something new at the moment....

todays early river swim was binned and i had a lie in instead.......but I am going across to bristol early tomoorow for a lake swim as i was suppossed to be going to the sea.but we have deemed thst the sea and probably the river might be a bit dangerous at the moment
  • creak....creak

my 5 hr bike this morning went really well.
    The only problem is that I am only just about to get out of bed!

Its hard to keep motivated / going after months of training, when you get tired and the niggles start

Do I feel guilty about missing it? Sort of, but this is supposed to be fun, and when it isn't then a break to get the mojo back is essential

hope the knee gets better Seren
  • Keep at it Girls.  I can only imagine what you are putting your bodies through at the moment and they will need time to recover.  Take it steady, look after yourselves, and listen to your body and mind image
  • well this is what my coach says

"Rest today and rest tomorrow. Completely. You are tipping over to over training and you need to stop the spiral.
    In fact. I would almost say this next week off and then a good session Saturday and one Monday if you feel okay?"

In a way it was a relief, I had been stressing out about it far too much and I have been constantly tired for the last three weeks.

OC - you are right sometimes your perspective gets all scewed. (how do you spell that ??).

The balance between fun and pushing yourself is a hard one to find sometimes.

Schmuks - thanks imageimage

Today I had a lie-in and a long bath, it was heaven.

And on the positive side I picked the best weekend weather wise to be overtrained.

Thanks for all the support imageimageimage
  • thanks schmunkee.....

Purple as you know i have already had a couple of weeks off training during the last few months.......i think its helped...

swimming was cancelled again this morning.3rd in a row.and so went to the pool.........5.6k swam........imageimageimage and faster than tuesday so getting closer to those cutoff times image
  • Come on team, image

I know its getting tough for us all injuried are training fatigue are showing themselves we just need to push through for 4 more weeks.

That said, with 4 weeks training left there we're not going to massively adapt or get a lot better, getting some quality sessions in and ticking over is probably the main goal.  Most importantly is getting to the start line fit and ready to rumble.

If you are suffering its probably a good time to take a bit of a step back for a few days so good advice from your coach Purple, clense your mind and forget about training for a few days and plan some rebuilt sessions for next weekend, then get back to the grindstone for 3 weeks.

Its about the long haul so look back at your training diaries and see what youve achieved, reflect on the long runs and bikes which youve done.
  • I thinking about my bike strategy, I've decided I'm going to break it into loops like I have been doing with my run.

Seren - How long did it take you on average to complete each loop? I was thinking about 1hr 45, does that seem about right?

I was thinking of allowing myself 1:55 for each loop.

Wise words Barley imageimage

• Purple, each loop is about 11 miles I think.
  • stupid me - I was thinking it was 22 miles !
  • 11.6 miles each loop..........last year i was averaging about 52/3 mins and 3 mins more when i stopped for food......would like to be able to do about the same.....

right trying to prepare for my mammoth bike ride
  • Seren, Purple,

Schmunkee is making enquiries to see if a lake near her will let us swim on the 12th.  We thought this would be a viable option as its about equidistant from all of us (1.5 hours?), the lake is near Swindon.
  • sounds good barley...
  • Hang in there everyone!!!!

Purple, you seem to have done loads particularly with that 40 mile run the other week. It is in your body now and maybe catching up with you. Hopefully a bit of rest will get you there.

Seren hats off to you for the attitude of I'll just get a train to miles away and cycle home. I couldn't do that. For longer rides I do loops from my house. Loops can vary from 7 miles upto 35 or 40. Just add as necessary. In saying that I am hopefully going out by about 35 miles to come back a slightly different route. From where I live up towards the Cheviots. It is quite barren, hostile area if the weather is bad but tomorrow looks OK.

8 mile run today. Was going to do 12 but left knee and right calf giving me a little tweek so I cut it short. I did the 16 miler 5 days ago so thought that would be enough.

Hows the weight loss Barley??

• I've done the train thing before with long runs. I'll probably do a few train rides for the bike too. I get bored with the same countryside, and a point to point would be a nice change.

• after a couple of weeks of very little training.i did a mammoth swim on sunday of 5.6k and now a mammoth bike...158.4 miles through the night.....i started 6 pm last night and made my way to cravens arms past ludlow.........and then turned around and came home.......the weather on the second half was atrocious....the surface water and flooding was everywhere and i was soaked to the skin.......

apart from the stops i seemed to average about 13 mph so pleased with that......

as i normally go to bed by 9pm i was pleased that i stayed awake all night.........

ready for bed now........and a good few days rest
  • decadavedecadave ✭✭✭
    Some good training going on.

Not gone too many pages back, but here is a link to the bike course

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/172229425#.T5vdsvAr2Gw.email
    11.65 miles, 350ft of climbing.

• decadavedecadave ✭✭✭
    As for long rides - I do 2 * 50/60 mile loops (feed stop at home and replenish the bottles) - or alternatively I do a point to point from Derbyshire to Essex (170 miles)

Whatever floats your boat I guess....

• decadavedecadave ✭✭✭
    here's the new run course

http://connect.garmin.com/player/172229430#.T5vfI33Lhe0.email

I walked this lap to see how slow a normal "walking lap" took.

and here's 4 laps of "running" - although it has me running through the lake.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/172229452#.T5vgW1Udi9Y.email
  • Excellent session there Seren, great confidence booster, no brick run afterwards though? image

Enjoy your rest
  • absolutely Fab work Seren

you have inspired me for the weekend

imageimage
  • Seren, you are fab, fab, fab, I bets that increases your confidence now youve got a 158 under you belt.  I used to tell people that if they could cycle 60 they could do 100, if you can do 158 you can do 224 image

Ive got a 150 mile ride mapped and planned for a 5am start bank holiday monday.  Im getting the train up to chester, sleeping over and then its going to be party party party.  Luck would have it my moms house is on the firect route back to my house so ill be stopping for fuel and spoiling at 105.

Thats all assuming my back is up to it?  feels better today having took yesterday as a rest, ive decided to take today and tomorrow off too.  Instead of training im spending the time stretching my back.  As per physio last week its not apparently anything serious just a minor strain but its very uncomfortable and not got any better in 10 days.  Finger crossed.

What are you planning for the weekend Purple, are you going to be able to join us for the swim on the 12th?  im assuming we'll also tag on something like a 60 mile ride but I dont want to go much further as have a hilly 100 on the 13th.
  • decadavedecadave ✭✭✭
    Good riding Seren, a huge confidence booster.

Barlist - it's not 224 miles - nearer 232 as the course is "slightly long"

Got a big weekend planned.

Friday - 15 mile run
    Sat - 2K swim, 100 mile bike, 15 mile run
    Sun - 2K swim, 100 mile bike, 15 mile run

Any guesses whats on Monday? image

• David, ah yes I forgot, youve got to do the triple to get a more accurate bike course length with the 29 laps image

I think on Monday youll be having a well earned beer image

• decadavedecadave ✭✭✭
    Thats next year... which should* give me a full set of Enduro events!

No beer until June 11th. About 3:59AM. Just after the cutoff!!

* if I get round the Deca first image
  • David Miles 4 wrote (see)
    Got a big weekend planned.

Friday - 15 mile run
    Sat - 2K swim, 100 mile bike, 15 mile run
    Sun - 2K swim, 100 mile bike, 15 mile run

Any guesses whats on Monday? image

World championship snooker final all day by any chance?

I'm glad I'm only doing the single don't think I'd cope with everything else going on. Thats some weekend Dave. Seren, great mileage enjoy your rest.

Just did 48 miles today. Had to cut short. Thought I'd be out by 7.30 but plans changed and I had to drop kids at school so didn't get out until later. At least it was a bit warmer but it's blowing a hoooleeyy up here.

• decadavedecadave ✭✭✭
    Monday is hopefully the same again. Unless I the OH puts a paint brush in my hands!!

• David....i expect it will be the same then.......I imagine she has a long list of things for you to do after you have recovered from the deca...big pay back time image

looks like a hard bank holiday weekend for you.......

i haven't thought about mine yet........i'm supposed to be doing the swimathon but noticed on an email that its no fins etc........so not sure they will let me do it with a poolbuoy......as i can't swim more than a couple of lengths without one not sure iof i should still go......

and hopefully some dry weather to cycle with my OH....

chilli ........thats still good mileage....plans have to change when you have a family....