Enduroman 1st - 10th June 2012

Comments

• Seren I do empathise with the moving of goal posts, I dont agree with that at this late stage but as a wise man once said 'it is what it is'  Look at what you can change and concentrate your energies on those points and not the points you cant change.   You are (as are the other loons) strong people and you just need to believe in yourself.   You can do this, 
    Courage my friend   image

• <hates self> agrees with Meldy too.

The distance hasn't changed and you both know you can do that part of it, can you jump start your body clock a few days before the event to try and replicate the sleep/start time?

Sorry Purple I'm not sure about your ideas on time but Seren, if you can do a single swim in 1:30 you will definitely do the double inside cut-off. You've then got a lap per hour to get through which you can do and that leaves you spare time too before cut-off. As kk says this will be the point at which you can take an iron nap, whether you want to get a few run laps under your belt first as she/Mon did at the double or straight off the bike as I did. You've got 19 hours to do 48 laps and have a snooze, without the snooze it's over 23 minutes per lap which is a lot slower than walking pace. Don't forget with 50 people out there you won't be alone on the course, buddy up with someone through the night on the bike and again on the run.

You can do it and I look forward to seeing you both finish it.

• Thanks all

VT'd your right............24 hours hours of thinking and i am moving forward...........workin on the new timings and meal changes.......i keep think this time of the morning i will be swimming and each time that pops up i keep on relplacing it with at this time i will be waking up............i'm sure my brain will realline it all in the next week.........

onwards and upwards...........i am planning on trying to average the bike laps at 55 mins ....so ahving a 5 mins spare each lap with which to give myself an hours nap in the night if i need it.........and then a short nap after lunch the next day.......

right off to get my bike gesrs readjusted this morning................

thanks again

• Get them to do a full bike check, or have a bike service, worth checking everything out at this point then having chance to ride it and check any adjustments have bedded in.

• i had it serviced last month.they put a new gear cable on and it was that that needed a slight adjustment.a 2 sec job.but one i am incapable of doing myself..........#

this time in 18 days i will be on my bike image....lets hope it will be a little cooler image

• Seren and PT - I am absolutely inspired. I hope you can both put all the demons behind you and have a great great time!! Absolutely amazing!!

• Wide words Golden Boots.  Pop in and out of this thread, as somewhere in theback of mind there is a temptation.  Ran a 50 miler on Sunday, and thought of doing that after a few hours swimming, and a lot of hours cycling seem impossible.  But keep up the good work, keep the positivity, and enjoy.

• I too am getting my head around the new time.

My plan is too try and sleep till 6:00 on the 9th and then have a leisurely breakfast.

I'm working on 1:55 for every two bike loops. If I complete each two loops in under that time I will get of and stretch, drink, eat etc. I am hoping not to sleep until the bike is finished, that's the hardest challenge with the new start time. I don't think I will have enough time for a sleep but may well do on the run.

I think moving the goal posts so late in the day is really out of order and I still feel a angry about it. I will definitly give Enduroman that feedback, but I'll wait until I'm a Double Ironman to do that imageimage .

• M..TRIumphant - Despite my moans, its been a fabulous experience training for the double and even if I don't make it I am already very proud of what I have already acheived.

I would definitly recommend it - assuming of course that you have the time available !

• so i will be on lap 6 now of the bike now.....thinking about  stopping for ship butties  and chickenimageimage

glad that you are also coming to terms with it Purple.all part of the highs and lows i think.....it will be worth it at the finish.even if at 4 am in the morning everyone else will be asleepimage

• where is the nearest chip shop?

• i think there is one in burley although i think i went firther afield last time....that will be my hubbies job to get themimage

• Purpletrilady, does anyone truly have the time available. It's all part if the challenge, finding sufficient time to train for these rediculous events, and still trying to maintain a life.
  • Hey Seren and Purple, glad you are coming around to the change in times. I would have been a shame if you hadn't got to the start line after all the training. It must be a lot harder to think of timings and logistics for the double and I don't envy you for that but it looks like you have got your heads around to the readjustment. I will try and stay up as late as I can on the day, hopefully I will have finished some time earlier ( what time who knows, not got into it myself!! ) and be able to give others a shout or encouragement. I'll be there with you around the run route and catch up then.

M..TRI would it be the same challenge if you had done all the training necessary or fitting it in around kids lives and work and not doing enough? It'll hurt whateverimage

• As said before you can only worry about the things under your control, anything else is a waste of energy. I always tell myself it's the same for everyone, no one is getting an easy ride we all do the same course in the same conditions. Sometimes those conditions defeat you but they haven't had the opportunity yet unless you allow them to. You may find other things are easier as a result of the time change, for example during the graveyard hours you might now be slap bang in the middle of the bike and it really is the perfect time to take a sleep- even half an hour  can feel like a nights rest as it did for me second time I did the double. The first time I hit my walking dead phase with a few laps of the run left and staggered to the end on pro plus and coffee- felt much more in control with the sleep the second time.

I would say allow yourself some flexibility, it's the first time you've done it so you can't accurately predict how you will be feeling at each stage except that at some stage you will be feeling rubbish, it's ideal if it's the middle of the night as that's the best time to grab a rest.

• Thanks Mon.........wise words......

• I did my first OW swim of the year tonight. Discovered a way to keep toasty warm - used a rash vest, it was brill imageimage.

i didn't get cold!! That is a big deal for me so I am very happy imageimage

Seren - Have you got any training planned for the next two weeks?

Monique - I'll be down to support on the Monday, I look forward to cheering you on then.

Thanks Chilliboy image

• Do we have to do anything about the IUTA license?

• Don't think so purple. Great news on the ow coldness.....I have the chiltern sportif Sunday.....not sure whether to go long or take the middle one
  • just be aware that the long is very long ! About 110 miles I think? But I guess you have still got two weeks to recover.

4 hour bike for me Saturday

2 hr bike followed by 3/4 hr run for me on Sunday

Hoping to do 5K in the water tonight - that may be a bit ambitous

• 2 hr OW swim for me tonight. I was really slow but I'm putting that down to the fact that my sighting is crap and I zig zag along.

I'm hoping it will be easier at AT

• much easier at AT.........you are making me feel lazy......i have only cycled 15 miles this week...........image

• purple the deca and quin people are talking about boots and gloves and under clothes.......but i think for the rest of us we will be fine............i think after a few days their bodies just can't get the heat system going in gthe swim.........we will be fresh for ours/...........the siting isn't a problem as the laps are about 300m and a number of buoys.........less people  to draft off now as it will only be the double poeple........

it is a pretty setting

• If it's like today then it won't be a problem. I did wear my rash vest today and unless we have a heatwave I will still wear it as I feel the cold on my chest.

I don't mind the cold on my hands and feet, but will take my boots just in case.

• Last year it was more of a problem keeping the core warm than anything else really, the water temp was at 19C on day one and six, would imagine with a few more days like we've had over the last few days it will be rising again as it's a shallow pond.

• I've got a rash vest as well as some tight fitting neoprene gloves and socks, tried the gloves and socks out today and they're pretty good. Symes is right, the temperature didn't change but our ability to cope withit did. Some people did suffer from hypothermia, so it was a physical effect of consequetivee days with little sleep, the body temperature just can't regulate itself. This was my biggest problem last year and the only sure way of solving it as far as I can see is to finish earlier and have more sleep. I blinkin hope I'v edone enough to make that a reality.

As for the doubles and triplers well you'd have to ask those that did it last year to see how it compared to a pool swim of similar duration.

• Mon - I'd think/hope that those doing the deca/quin will be helped by staying in proper accommodation rather than tents in helping the core stay warmer, fingers crossed for you that's the case as well as the additional sleep factor.

I'm sure your epic cycling will stand you in good stead on the earlier finishing time.