Enduroman 1st - 10th June 2012

1464748495052»

Comments

• Ah yeah good points about the positives; the turning circle and supporters must have made an amazing difference.  Also easier of thinking 'just one more mile (ish) and i'll see how i'm feeling...' than "just another 10 miles...'.  You're still all mad though image

• Well done Dave, awesome report - I'd love to be fit enough and confident enough to even attempt a 100 mile run. One day maybe.

• Cheers everyone. Kate, no plans just going to give it a year and see what happens. My new obsession is my garden, hvee nearly an acre of neglected land and am aiming for it to be good enough for open gardens by 2020. Trying not to develop any more ridiculous obsessions, avoiding anyting that may tempt me such as snowboarding, rock climbing, break dancing and ballroom.

Great report Dave , how we let standards drop, vomit down your front, great look.

• decadavedecadave ✭✭✭

You can wear your sequin shots for Ballroom... image

• Dave I was saving them for one of the later days. I am in that limbo state- between obsessions, the weather keeps halting my gardening plans and I have a lot of freelance to do. I've been for one short run with the dog, but if I wait till the mood takes me to swim/bike or run it'll be three years down the line and I'll be 26 stone. I am that ambivalent. All I want to do is drink beer down the pub. Maybe I'm the opposite of those people who are excessively unhealthy and overweight and then discover sport and become fitness zealots. The cheap Lidl beer I keep buying for the slug traps has not made it that far. I have considered asking at the local pub for the contents of their slop tray, but I might be too tempted and drink that as well.

• Mon

There is nothing wrong with just wanting to drink beer down the pub.

I don't think you could every get to 26 stone!

• decadavedecadave ✭✭✭

Im the same. Apart from mine is from Aldi as there is no lidl handy

Nearly went for a swim last week. Then saw the light and had a pizza and a case of stella.

Tried to do a run last night (T_C managed to blag me an Outlaw entry with OSB) but knee gave way again after 400 yards (my knee caved in on the last day of the deca and ended up walking the last marathon) - so went back to the flat and had another beer and watched footy. 

Nothing else planned other than Snowdon Marathon, which may turn into a nice hike in the Welsh Mountains.

Enjoy the rest.. oh.. I have a great photo of you running past the "I shall Return" banner in the turn circle.

http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1397990#1397990

Too big to upload here.

• dave..........i'm doing snowdon as a bit of fun............if you are still not back to strength you can do a few miles with me image..............if you do outlaw I will give you a shout............i was tempted to try it but they do not allow transfer of numbers so i will support insteadimage

i will go and start reading the report..........

• Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

.  More important is that I have Ironman Coeur D'alene 24th June, which is really my A race.  I need to be fit for it more so than the double, I also need to concentrate on letting the muscle strain in my back fully recover, which is only going to happen if I lay of the long stuff.  Hopefully with 6 weeks till Coeur D'alene ill get myself sorted.

I'll still be at AT for the double weekend to cheer you all on, cant wait image

Yo Barley, if you are still in for tomorrow best of luck fella!

Purple/Seren do you feel recovered yet?

Sy.Mes as above.

Dave M as above

Anyone else there that I didn't know ( there was at least 2 in the half Enduroman ) as above.

2 weeks on I'm looking back and for me this was one of my greatest sporting achievements. I look fondly on my 12 hr bike race and 210 miles, I really enjoyed breaking the hour for 25 miles and doing it regularly since and was made up averaging 27 mph+ for 10 miles on a good few occasions. It rates far higher in my book and am looking forward to future events.

My eyes have been opened to a world of endurance events in both the running and triathlon circles. Someday in the future I want to go longer but maybe not next year. This year I tried to do nearly all of my training and not affect family life, doing it on my days off in work but leaving any weekends I had off clear of longer sessions ( maybe run early in the morning but not all day bike rides ). I slipped into one major problem that looking back retrospectively shouldn't have done. I put far too much into the thinking about the event and being lost in a world of what may happen that I lost a lot of " life perspective" if that makes sense. It was emotional stress and looking back it tired me out. After the event I realised that I trained well for what I wanted to achieve eg finish, no time in mind. Next time I try something like this I will do the training and not let the emotional side get the better of me. Don't get me wrong it didn't win but I realised I wasted energy on worrying about everything.

I had a great weekend at AT and hope to return there one day. It was great being part of others journey's for the last 6 months via this thread and meeting people on the day. Seren your determination will stick me forever, you were so strong mentally on the day and that was what helped you succeed on the day. Inspirational!!

End ofimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• Thanks Chilli..........i think you hit the nail on the head....do the training you can but don't let it rule your thoughts when you aren't training........you have to learn to switch off from it and live life at the same time......your bike times are brilliant.........i am once again going to concentrate on the bike this winter.it got better but needs to get better still......

• decadavedecadave ✭✭✭

Chris Ette's 3rd place Deca race report.

http://christopherette.com/

• brilliant report & brilliant race  -  thats a tough old course at AT

• Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

Massive thanks to everyone supporting me over the weekend, its always good to know people are following you.

Brief Report:

Coeur D'Alene is a fantastic race, really big Ironman event with all the trimmings including 'The Voice Of Ironman' Mike Reilly belting it out on the mike and geeing the crowd for yet another hail yea 'YOU ARE AN IRONMAN'.  The support on the course was superb, the Americans really know how to cheer you on.  I ran past so many BBQ's I lost count.

The race:

Well I guess I rolled up under trained as usual, though this time it was a combination of dropping an Iron on my foot, stuggling with various back and hampsting pulls which has pretty much curtailed my training over the last 3 months.

Swim wasnt expected to be much hastle, as usual I started in my favoured position, at the front on the turn side to take the shortest line.  Ive found this to be the best way of avoiding contact as youve always clear water you can head towards while letting the faster swimmers go straight on and leaving the slower ones to beat the $hit out of each other at the back. 

My swim was slow, 1.20ish but the conditions were extremely choppy for a lake, there was quite some swell and it was akin to a sea swim, I also lost time on account of having to stop after swallowing water when I miss timed my breathing and took a face full of wave.

Bike, hmmm, didnt expect it to be a difficult course but as usual id done no research, turned out to be a lot harder than I expected with 3 massive hills each of the 2 loops, massive being akin the the big climbs at Lanza / each being 3 time Box Hill.  It was also quite windy.

Run, just plodded round really, given my prep I was just after a finish. 

If im honest I was well under trained which probably accounted for the slower bike time as well as the course/wind.

Anyone considering a US Ironman I would seriously recommend Coeur D'Alene, its a fantastic location and a beautiful part of America, the locals were brilliant and so friendly.  Coeur D'Alene Resort (Race HQ) is the best place to stay.

PS, I never did see Yogi Bear but I saw a Grey Wolf, lots of Bison and some Antler'd thingies at Yellowstone.  Oh and lots of bubbling mud, steaming sulphur and other cool stuff.  Yellowstone is top tastic image

• Barley it sounds fab u lous.  Almost worth not retiring for...

• brilliant report Dave..............thanks for sharingimage

barley.chuffed for you

• Some good info on Couer D'alene, cheers Barlist, never knew owt about that course, sounds fab.

Just read Mon's report. What a star! I wrote this on 'Toughest Event?' Thread, but think Mon missed it tho:  

Mon - I have decided. I love you so much that I'm going to deny myself, and let you go. image I failed to press your button on Day 5. Just couldnt find the On Switch to get you running again. So I'm not right for you, and I'm going to let Dave have you instead, as you said you loved him so much, even tho your brain was addled on that last rainy DNF run. I know you'll be bouncing back at something to catch your imagination soon. Keep off the Lard n Booze, as I think you AND Dave (2 person teams) should have a go at O till O for example:

http://www.otillo.se/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dXBfNBj1M8

Look - No Cycling! image

LOVE TC image