Enduroman 1st - 10th June 2012

Comments

• FF.......I believe you were allowed someone to walk/run with you for so many laps........but no one was really counting.....some people just had someone with them for part of the laps............its good in a way as you ars doing a big circle around the run support station.............

I don't think that you should have a pacer but company to keep going is differentimage

• I have three people coming to help me. I am sure they would be more than happy to be part of a general pirate support crew.

• That was what i think i meant Seren, more a midnight companion then someone trying to up the pace.image
  • There was a note that no more than 5 laps could be done accompanied in 2012, not sure how much they'll insist though
  • Training wise I was planning to do a couple of 150  mile bike rides next year. My cycling is my weakest discipline, I think I also need to do loads of hill work coz I am cr@p at them.

I've never done any ultra running, but I don't think I will go further than 26  miles.

Swimming is fine for me except I hate cold water so could be problematic if we have a cold may !

imageimage

• that is part of the problem for some Purple.......being in early june its hard to get open water training in.......but worth it......

I don't think they were enforcing it Symes...........some people were joining them in the woods most laps as it got later and were leaving them to do the bit through the support station  and up around the house on  their own..............

I did all mine on my own but will be hoping to have my family help me on a few next year...

• arctic lady wrote (see)
    yip icing it every night and doing stretches, it's being 'managed!'image

Achilles sufferers might be interested in this article + exercises for Achilles probs. 

The actual exercises are at the bottom of the page when you click 'continue'.  However, don't skip the article - it's really interesting and gives a non-traditional approach to thinking about the AT and how it works.  I've just started the exercises so can't vouch for them - but I've tried everything else including loads of rest.

• I was given this link by another forum friend for whom they've worked really well - along with ham stretches and glute work. He's not sure which of those things helped, of course - but the main thing is he's now pain-free.
  • Monique.no point in asking which oneimage...........I think you are going to smash it next year

AH.............if he is apin free it doesn't matter which helpedimage

• ...or pain-free, even!image

Good jawb, Mon.  

• Thanks AH, I will read that!!

My achilles started as I was doing loads of uphill training, too much too soon I reckon, what a fikkin pain it is now though....!imageimage

• seren nos wrote (see)

Monique.no point in asking which oneimage...........I think you are going to smash it next year

I'm so predictable, training starts 21st October. I mean business.
  • Henny/AL .. very interesting achilles article with a variation on exercises that I use already, once I have full range of movement back I shall incorporate these as well
    Makes very good sense once read!
  • so noticed that for this they have booked all the bed in th main house............I have to admit I don't like the idea of dorm sleeping when you are desperately trying to get to sleep............also no good if you have children with you...........

I will ahve to phone up re camping  i think

• plus if you get a dorm near the front of the house you'll hear cyclists/runners going by at all times of the day/night!
  • just noticed it said you can have a room for that price...for just 6 more than if you share.............doesn't sem rightimage
  • Sure doesn't, still don't like the idea of £32 per night for only a couple of hours sleep image
  • So for the double do you need a room? Or will a tent do? I'm really unsure of how this all works accomodation-needs wise.
  • kittenkat wrote (see)
    Monique wrote (see)
    seren nos wrote (see)

Monique.no point in asking which oneimage...........I think you are going to smash it next year

I'm so predictable, training starts 21st October. I mean business.

So you've finished doing up your house?

Anyway, what will you do differently to make the Deca next year that you didn't do this year? My concern about the way it's organised is the sleep deprivation, I've changed my mind about 10 separate IMs being a good thing rather than the swim, then bike and run all in one... What do you think?

Also you have no competition, which doesn't help you as much as it doesn't help me win the lottery to be able to be on your tail.

House is nowhere near finished, but it is starting to look respectable from the oputside, the inside is still a hovel, but it's only missing luxuries like skirting board, curtains, paint, architraving,floor covering etc.

I loved the format, well maybe not "loved" exactly, but it was tougher I imagine, how can it be anything else?  You get 10 days with daily cut-offs, in the normal deca you get 14, if we had 14 days to do 10 single IM's that would give you a rest day every other day. Also you have to be swim, bike and run fit every day. However I will reserve judgement entirely till I've tried both.image I also think the toughness was enhanced by the course being a bit tricksy.

Other females would be good for the company, but competition isn't that relevant in the deca you can only do what you can do. If someone's better trained and faster there isn't anything you can do about that, it would be a waste of energy worrying about it, you just race your own race. Go on get an entry inimage

• arctic lady wrote (see)
    So for the double do you need a room? Or will a tent do? I'm really unsure of how this all works accomodation-needs wise.
    AL- I think for the double you will be continuously out on the course so a tent would suffice.
  • AL..............definitely a tent is fine...........I'm in a tent...............I will not be in the big tent field tyhis year as have had to book a camping place with electricity as my youngest will have no interest in the competition and so will spend the 3 days in the tent playing with some electrical gadget.............my middle son and Oh will take it in terms keeping an eye on him and being my support crew.............

going to be strange cycling all night...........

are your boys coming down for the weekend or staying home..............must be a nightmare trying to get crew support as well as gettin g the children looked after..glad mine a re older nowimage

• That Mon and Seren about the tent info.

I have decided I would like my boys there. They see me do all this training, come swimming with me every week and put up with me turboing in the background, so it would be good for them to see why I'm doing all this. Oldest would have just turned 12 by June next year and youngest 8. I definitely need to sort out a tent that can accommodate them going off and playing as of course they'll get bored and want to sleep etc. But it'd mean so much to know they're there.

I have not got so far as to figuring out how to look after them or who I can get to help as my support crew.

I did briefly consider asking my ex husband if he'd come and watch the kids but remembering how little support I ever received from him regarding running or anything (none) I doubt that would happen now we're divorced.

I have 8 months to figure this out, I'm sure it'll work out. image

• I have to work hard to ensure i finish the double..my family finally came to support me at IMW  the first time in Ironman and I failed infront of them.......

I need to succceed infront of them this time................or they will start to think its their faultimage...I didn't take my middle son this year to AT because I was a bit afraid that some of the deca and quin people might be in such a state with exhaustion and hallucinations etc that it would worry him and put him off for life.......................but they were all in pretty good state considering...............

so he will be ready for next year as he does love this sort of thing.............image

• I understand what you mean Seren. I have thought about them seeing in a pretty bad state but I reckon they can handle it especially as I have already started telling them about it. You and me both have to finish the double, one way or another!!image
  • The start list is up imageimage

8 women so far doing the double.....
  • only one entered last year............................

we only need 2 more and there will be prize moneyimage,,,,,,but not for meimage

• I doubt it will get to 10!

Think Mon is the only female for the decca!!

• she was last yearimage

but the decimagea is a race against survival not against the othersimage