Options

Where exactly is the midfoot?

DMaxDMax ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am new to running and I guess the advantage to that is that my slate is clean as far as technique is concerned.

I have read that the midfoot footstrike is best, but can someone tell me exactly where the midfoot is? I have played it through in my head and to land midfoot seems to present an imagine to me of running flat footed but I cannot think that it means running flat footed.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
D. 

Comments

• Options
    Ian MIan M ✭✭✭
    That's good timing, as this very subject was being discussed elsewhere this morning.
    http://groups.google.com/group/huaraches/browse_thread/thread/47c779fec2c37e8f#
  • Options
    DMaxDMax ✭✭✭

Thanks Ian,

I guess there is still a lot of confusion about the name of the strike rather than the actual act of putting it into effect.

I have asked this because my back used to hurt when running and it was purely about bad form.

I ran a mile to try and guage a running style at the weekend and found I run slightly forefooted as it seemed to fit in with looking ahead and leaning my body slightly forward from the ankle.

I was happy that my back didnt ache after my short run. 

Only time will tell if I settle into this or change my foot strike to land more 'midfooted'

Unless anyone can give me some clear way of knowing that I am running midfooted, I think I will stick to the slight forefoot strike. Is there some way to adjust the body to ensure a midfoot strike?

Does anyone know if such a thing as running coach exists for this sort of thing?

• Options
    Ian MIan M ✭✭✭
    I thought this from that link was an interesting point -

Part of the confusion is also due to comparing barefoot and shod
    running. When you look at shod runners, mid foot tends to be more
    common than pure forefoot, but the foot inside the shoe is actually in
    a forefoot landing position if there is a heel lift. This is why I
    think trying to forefoot land in shoes with a big heel is problematic
    - you really have to exaggerate plantar flexion to hit with the ball
    of the foot, and this can really hammer the calves and Achilles.

Not that this really helps you, but it's worthwhile pondering whether when these terms are coined were they refer to how the foot or the shoe lands.
  • Options
    DMaxDMax ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, good point Ian and that didn't cross my mind until you said it. Maybe better to run barefoot at the beach on hard sand to see what comes out of it?
  • Options
    Ian MIan M ✭✭✭
    I don't really know, but I'd be more inclined to try a much harder surface like concrete or pavements to get an idea. My foot landing, (or at least my perception of landing) changes quite a bit depending on the surface.
  • Options
    DMaxDMax ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a plan.

Thanks Ian, I appreciate the time you took to get in touch.
  • Options
    Hi Douglas
    good to hear you are natural running. Footstrike will depend on footwear. If barefoot then you will land on the forefoot, impact on the lateral (outside) of the foot and rolling in to push off the big toe.

This can change depending on the midsole and heel-to-toe differential in the shoe (0mm or flat is best for natural running).

Try not to think too much about this. As long as your footwear is minimal enough (or barefoot) and you remain relaxed with good posture, your feet will look after themselves!

Great vid here from Lee Saxby: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jio7DK15Q1E&feature=player_embedded

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    DMaxDMax ✭✭✭
    The link on the above comment appears to be Google Maps. Can you please advise what I should have seen?
  • Options
    OK let's try that again: http://youtu.be/Jio7DK15Q1E

Lee Saxby works with Vivobarefoot to help promote proper Natural Running technique. The above video is a demonstration of some drills to go from a heel strike gait in cushioned shoes to running barefoot.
  • Options
    DMaxDMax ✭✭✭
    Thanks R McIntosh. This makes it easier to understand in the brain and gives me something concrete (and simple) to use.
  • Options
    DMaxDMax ✭✭✭
    Just a quick note to let you know that I was out yesterday and after watching the Lee Saxby video on You Tube, have found things a lot easier. Thanks to everyone for their comments.