Greenwich Park

Comments

• Ah, I feel much better now (apropos the old couple) - thanks SBD!

So, it's 3 against 1 then re running routes. I am with Multi & SBD too. Not only do I prefer off road running, I also tend to go AWAY from the crowds (ie away from Central London and crowded areas). In addition, who would want to run on a pancake-type course when training; you only want those when RACING!!

Multi, give the forest a try and see what you think - I think it's great. Have you been as far as that SBD?

Happy running GPers!
  • Thanks Soo! I've just sent off a much too wordy email. Getting some runs organized before I go will take alot of the stress off. I always worry about getting lost when running away from home. Glad to hear you run early in the morning. I hear it's been pretty hot recently.
  • Thanks for the offer Plummy, but I really need to be careful with the amount of running time on concrete as the two 2 inch screws holding my right ankle together will start to complain! I was forced to do some mountain biking today, instead of my normal long Sunday run, as a result of their constant nagging from last week's run!

I'll be checking out the SE London forest and see how it goes.

Cheers to all, and happy GP running!
  • Heh Multi -

I've got a screw holding my right ankle together as well! So far it hasn't give me too much grief when I run but I have found my achilles tendon can get tight so I do lots of stretching and special calf exercises as recommended by a biomechanic I went to see.

My bionic ankle (as I call it) wasn't even the result of an exciting adventure accident - just a nasty fall on some ice in Canada - broke my leg in two places and smashed up my ankle....

Cheers, Soo.
  • Excellent SBD!

My symptoms are very similar to yours, and to be fair the physio that I was seeing post-op gave me some stuff to do, but I haven't been doing them that regularly. Guess I should really, eh.

Looks like I'll have to follow you and start doing some regular calf stretching etc.

Cheers.

• I am impressed! You (bionic!) people are tough!! Hats off.

Multi, I know you said you got your injury from football, but how exactly? [I guess I shouldn't really ask since I am still playing footie - it'll only make me paranoid!!!] And yes, you should do (your exercises) as you're told!!

Keep GPing!!!

• Wayfarer

My ankle injury is just a war wound from being an ex-centre midfield thug.

It was a tough game, with both of the team's thugs 'dishing it out' as they say. I just ended up worse off from one of my own challenges (numpty!) but carried on playing (as you do!) without seeking any attention ..... for 18 months!

I then started taking the Monday's off work because I still couldn't walk following a Saturday game. Diagnosis - fractured ankle! Old bone fragments had to be removed etc etc.

I can still play, but don't anymore because of family commitments, hence the running nowadays.

You did ask!! Sorry!
  • Hello all,

I'm a GP runner as well - I tend to use it for my shorter runs (4-8 miles) incorporating a lap into a general run round the area, or doing more than one lap. I tend to run Tuesday and Thursday nights as well as weekends at the moment as I'm doing quite a bit of morning gym work (to pass a fitness test to get on to a parachuting course later this year....yes, I know I'm mad!) Oh, and I always run clockwise if going round the edge - I hate running up that nasty steep hill on the west side.....

Would love to meet up in the park for a run if anyone is interested. I've probably seen some of you out anyway - I always try to say hi and smile (although it's often more of a grimace if I'm running uphill!) to other runners in the park!

Happy GP running!
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Haven't ran in GP for a while but often do Maze Hill to get back to Blackheath from a riverside run. Would be happy to join in bits of w/e training over the summer but not at 6am.

Live closer to Shooters Hill but don't venture into any forests - must look that up.
  • Gavo - if you have a map which shows the Green Chain Walk, that goes through the woods in the Shooters Hill area - Niki and I did that several times earlier in the year. The GCW is great as it's well marked and has several nice loops in it, and it's all off-road or on quiet traffic-free roads. If you park up at that tea shop at the top of the hill at Oxleas Wood, you can pick it up there. I'm away for the next few weekends but could meet you up there to do an evening run one day if you like - drop me a line. I'm likely to get chucked off the forum shortly by my work PC (it has a timer of 60 mins on sport-related sites) so drop me an email if you want!
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Cheers Kezza - not entirely sure if I have a car to park but I'll look out for that walk.
  • Oh yes....forgot about that! If you live round there you're probably close enough to run to the GCW anyway. It's marked on OS maps of the area, and there's a website about it as well (can't remember the URL but you'll find it on Google I expect)
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    There's a bit on Woolwich Common near the new hospital that I've followed occasionally though never near Oxleas though.

Hope you're not over your 59:59 yet.
  • Did not notice that you had a fractured ankle?!?! Blimey, Multi, you could give Roy Keane (at his pomp) a run for his money, couldn't you?!?!

I am a wuss, me! Right midfield, going up and down (this running is really great for that), and don't get involved in any nasty stuff! Tackling, what's that?!?!?

Hello other GPers! I suspect we'll never see each other though (running at different times of the day)!

Oxleas Wood? Hum, is that what it's called? I'll try to remember that. Thanks!
  • I can heartily recommend Oxleas Woods, which is one of the most ancient pieces of woodland in London. I used to live on the edge of Woolwich Common and so after a quick lap around that I would zip straight up towards Severndroog Castle. The top of the woods had a lovely (albeit somewhat decrepit) old rose garden with a very impressive view across south London towards Crystal Palace. If you turn around when you are on Shooters' Hill you get a great vantage on the City.

Then into the woods where you can happily get lost for half an hour or so (and stop off at the tearooms for some water. I think that the eastern side of the woods is best though, I then end up at the bottom of the other sider od Shooters' Hill past the garden centre and run through to end up the other side of Plumstead. However, then my route back towards Charlton (where I now live) becomes less interesting are more on roads. Any suggestions?

The Green Chain Walk is much better as a run than as a walk. The route is good but th litter along its way will tend to irritate even more if you see it at a slower speed. That said, it is great that you can travel for miles without running on tarmac.

I would be happy to meet up with anyone else running through the Park or the Woods.
  • Good to see a lot of Greenwich Parkers.
    Is there anyone out there going to set up a club around the area?
  • I'm another Greenwich Parker - usually going through first thing in the morning either coming up from Cutty Sark, or going through the flower garden and down the steep western side of the park on my way to Cutty Sark, along the river and around the Dome. A nice run by the way - from my home also near Blackheath Standard it's about 6.75 miles.

The Asian couple are called Mr and Mrs Fan. Mr Fan, who is originally from Vietnam, runs a small barber shop on Trafalgar Rd, not too far from the Arches Leisure Centre. He has run in a couple of Great North Runs and I've tried to persuade him to enter the FLM, but he says a half marathon is enough for him. They certainly do seem to be a happy couple.
  • Donutto - Thanks! I'm so pleased to finally know their names. Although I pass the Fans most mornings in the park our conversations are limited to pleasantries about weather - and words of encouragement.

I think all forum Greenwich Parkers should start wearing an identifier.... Perhaps a rose in our teeth?????

Failing that I think a pub gathering one evening is called for. We can figure out if there are any logical running mornings/evenings we could manage. If nothing else, I need someone to tell me where this forest you're all talking about is!!!! I'd suggest the Trafalgar Tavern or the Gypsy Moth as a venue as they are the only pubs I know by name.... Anyone interested?

Cheers, Soo.

• I will never be one to turn down a pint so count me in. However, Soo.B.Doo, I am a bit disappointed that you can only mention two pubs in Greenwich: you need some education on the matter.

Donutto, your route is almost the same as the one I do. However, it does get a bit smelly and dull as soon as you get past the Cutty Sark pub I find.

As for an identifier, we could all pinch roses from the rose garden in the park (but the wardens might be unhappy about that!).

• CraftyBoy - yes that manufacturing plant (what does it make??) along the river can be a bit smelly, but the stretch around the Dome is peaceful and good for bird watching. I also find it excellent for speed sessions - heading east from "Slice of Reality" (the cross section of a ship) through to cobbles just before the Millennium village is almost exactly a mile, so if you see a runner grimacing along there, it might be me doing a session of mile reps. I have less hair than in the photo of my namesake!
  • I believe that, amongst other things, the plant makes gin (hence the smell of yeast). So the smell is something to be suffered for the greater good of humanity.
  • Alright - my suggestion of an inaugural Greenwich Park Running Group pub meeting seems to have been met with less than roaring enthusiasm. More sensitive souls than myself would quietly disappear into te forum ether...not me. I'm going to pretend you all just didn't see the earlier post because if fell off the page...

Surely we can muster up a group of more than just Crafty Boy and I? A couple of drinks sharing local running routes (I need someone to tell me where this Forest is!), telling running glory/horror stories and gossiping about other runners (how much more can we learn about Mr. and Mrs. Fan?)... Anyone?

Cheers, Soo.
  • Oxleas is not a forest, but a wood!
    Whilst it is very nice to describe it as forest is somewhat over-egging the custard.
  • Ok - I'll reset my expectations on this green-ish area with a collection of trees...so if I ever DO figure out where it is I won't be disappointed....

Cheers, Soo.
  • It is very green (apart from the bits that are brown and muddy) and a refreshing place to visit so don't lower your expectations too far: you will like it, but it is only a couple of square miles and does not extend half way across Kent.

• SBD - hi

Just read through this thread. Think you should invite Mr & Mrs Fan to your pub get-together as honorary guests.

Don't think I qualify as a Greenwich Park runner - I just go up what seems to be a very steep hill and over the heath down to Blackheath about once a fortnight. Seems like I should incorporate a loop of park too. And on the basis of this very loose GP connection, happy to come for a drink!

SJR
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    I'm up for a bevvy in Greenwich - nice summer evening outside the Trafalgar - can't beat it.

Sooby, I'll try Oxleas this w/e if I can and tell you about it next week.
  • Phew - we are now up to 4 - so we are officially a gathering! And now that we've got some momentum I'm sure the more shy folks will join us....

Slow Jo - Anyone who runs up that hill qualifies as Greenwich Park runner to me... I was thinking that Mr and Mrs Fan should come along too - they may be slightly overwhelmed at their new found celebrity status though!!

Ok - drinks at Trafalgar Tavern. I'm going to suggest Thursday 14th August...... Hope that works....

Cheers, Soo.
  • DazDaz ✭✭✭
    Been to Greenwich Park just once, but that hill is a nightmare.....<pant!>
    Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • Oh no, Thursday 14th clashes with Ashley's BBQ for and Beckenham/London SE Runners ...