Greenwich Park

Comments

• Alright - Latest list of attendees for Thursday's inaugural 'People Who Run in Greenwich Park' gathering:

Crafty Boy
    Domsk
    Gavo
    Multi
    The Plum
    Slow Jo
    SooBDoo
    Snail
    Snoop
    Supervet

Gavo - yes, please bring the map. My long runs are getting seriously long in preparation for Amsterdam (yikes!) and I think 16 miles is just about all I can eek out of the Park and Blackheath...

Wayfarer, Kate G, Kezza, DMK (and anyone else who might be lurking!) - c'mon you know you want to join us!!!

Cheers, Soo.
  • Oops - forgot to say (I'm new at this social secretary thing):

Thursday 21st August from 6:30
    Trafalgar Tavern - Greenwich

Cheers, Soo.l
  • even better if you can provide one of those maplink thingeys Soo (sorry, haven't learned the craft myself yet).

oh yes, and an hourly countdown gets'em onto the edges of their seats in anticipation - ya know - 54 hours to go..
  • Could we each be presented with an intellichip to see who has the quickest bar serving time & then after each gathering we can see who can improve on their p.b.?
    No, just an idea.
    Am I banned already?
  • no - but you may have just volunteered to get the first round in!

anyway, there are too many variables for that to work - eg gender of bartender... at least you could guarantee that it would all be downhill after the first drink.
  • You'll have to enlighten me on the gender of the bartender one.
    As far as getting the first round in is concerned, I don't mind but you probably won't get what you ordered.
  • "People Who Run in Greenwich Park" (any reason for a drink really!)

An open invitation to anyone who runs in (or has run in) Greenwich Park. A chance to put a name to some of those sweaty faces you meet, share some gossip (look how much we've learned about the Fans already!) and maybe find some like-paced runners to join you on your morning/evening tour of the park.

6:30 onwards at the Trafalgar Tavern in Greenwich. I'll be there with a copy of Runners World for easy identification!(Email me if you don't know where the Trafalgar Tavern is - unfortunately, I don't know how to do links to cool maps)....

Declared Attendees so far:
    Crafty Boy
    Domsk
    Gavo
    Multi
    The Plum
    Slow Jo
    SooBDoo
    Snail
    Snoop
    Supervet

Wayfarer, Kate G, Kezza, DMK (and anyone else who might be lurking!) - c'mon you know you want to join us!!!

Cheers, Soo.
  • domsk - I find if it's a barmaid, I get ignored for 10 minutes, if it's a barman, I often get served before all the blokes who got there first. So in order to improve my pb, I'd have to make sure it was a barman every time :-)

Having said that, I'm sure it's the Trafalgar tavern that's got a bar so high I need to stand on a step even to be seen in the first place...
  • Ah that old chestnut.
    I was slower than a snail there wasn't I!

You should always ask a fellow drinker to get down on all fours so that you can stand on their back. Or, if I've just been running then I'll probably be conveniantly lying on the floor in recovery.
  • Whilst my IT skills are not incredibly proficient here is the address of the map with an arrow pointed to the Trafalgar Tavern (I know it is not as impressive as a hyperlink but I am a lawyer not an IT guru).

Just copy the address and paste it into your browser.

I hope it works and see you tomorrow.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?grid2map?x=538750&y=178250&zoom=1&isp=187&ism=500&arrow=y?54,162
  • I used to live in Eltham, and then Sidcup, so know the area very well. Snoop - I used to live in Blackhorse Road, just off Sidcup High Street - at no 21 in fact. When I was a kid I used to go to GP with my grandad to collect conkers and stand on either side of the meridian- that'd be about 1966 - 67 - aaah, memories!!!
  • "People Who Run in Greenwich Park" (any reason for a drink really!)
    (updated to include crafty boy's map)

An open invitation to anyone who runs in (or has run in)(or collected conkers in) Greenwich Park. A chance to put a name to some of those sweaty faces you meet, share some gossip (look how much we've learned about the Fans already!) and maybe find some like-paced runners to join you on your morning/evening tour of the park.

6:30 onwards at the Trafalgar Tavern in Greenwich. I'll be there with a copy of Runners World for easy identification.
    Link to map (courtesy of crafty boy)
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?grid2map?x=538750&y=178250&zoom=1&isp=187&ism=500&arrow=y?54,162

Declared Attendees so far:
    Crafty Boy
    Domsk
    Gavo
    Multi
    The Plum
    Slow Jo
    SooBDoo
    Snail
    Snoop
    Supervet

Cheers, Soo.
  • Just came across this thread . . .

I don't run in Greenwich Park :-(

I've never ran in Greenwich Park :-(

I aspire to run in Greenwich Park :-)

Are dreamers invited?

• "People Who Run in (or Have Run in)(Or Aspire to Run in)(or Collected Conkers in) Greenwich Park" (any reason for a drink really!)

An open invitation to anyone who runs in (or has run in)(or collected conkers in)(or has heard of) Greenwich Park. A chance to put a name to some of those sweaty faces you meet, share some gossip (look how much we've learned about the Fans already!) and maybe find some like-paced runners to join you on your morning/evening tour of the park.

Tonight (Thursday 21st Aug)- 6:30 onwards at the Trafalgar Tavern in Greenwich. I'll be there with a copy of Runners World for easy identification.
    Link to map (courtesy of crafty boy)

Indications of Interest so far:
    Crafty Boy
    Domsk
    Gavo
    Multi
    Pathfinder
    The Plum
    Slow Jo
    SooBDoo
    Snail
    Snoop
    Supervet

Cheers, Soo.
  • C'mon, we're all dying to know whether you got on or hated each other. Please be candid.
  • Just noticed, it's tonight, not last night - sorry!! Someone's got to take a dislike to someone else as otherwise we'll have nothing to goss about.
  • Ed, why don't you turn up & maybe it'll be you, are you bringing your knitting?
    Or will it be me now!
    I'm sure we'll all get along fine, for the first ten minutes.
  • Regret can't, much as I'd like to. So I'll do my knitting (crochet, actually) at home and think of you all.
  • I presume that, on the basis that the invitation is now drawn so widely that there will be a practical geographic limitation. The Trafalgar is less that two miles from my house. Whilst I am looking forward to it I don't think I would travel all the way from N London for this social occasion (so good job I live locally.

Is it not noticeable how parched the park is looking at the moment. Perhaps we need to do a rain dance.
  • I was in the park yesterday afternoon - a bunch of kids with nothing better to do was going round setting fire to the litter bins. Given how parched the park is, I was getting a little concerned - as were the wardens, out in force with hoses... anyway, see you this evening!
  • I hope that the wardens were also hosing down the kids (hopefully with high velocity cannon) There was a fire on the Heath last week in the old sandpits where the scrub went up like tinder.
  • Sorry chaps, not going to make it after all - need to work late tonight to avoid having to work at the weekend.

Hope you all have a great time.
  • Well, considering I am still at my desk now it seems that I will be late. Hopefully I can get there for 8 and I hope people will still be there.

• I guess you're all down the Trafalgar then - hope you're having a nice time. I thought of you on my run tonight, 7 and a bit miler it was in 53:53.
  • nice to meet everyone last night - hope Soo will organise another one for us one day soon (check out 'the Yacht' next door as well peeps!)

Anyone who wants to join the London Social next Friday, (you're all welcome), please visit the thread on the Unofficial forum.

Off to the Reading rock festival now, so catch up with you later.

Thanks again Soo for organising yesterday.
  • Good to put faces to pretend names.
    I left before closing time so I was lucky enough to miss Joe attempting to strip again.
    I probably won't be in the park this weekend because I'm away, see you soon.
    Oh & don't forget hugs to the Fans!
  • Nice to have met you all last night,will try and make the next one.Walked the five mile home.see you all soon.
  • I presume the walk home didn't include the pimple that is Greenwich Park!
  • hi everyone - enjoyed yesterday evening. What's this about Joe trying to strip again?? Can't that boy keep his clothes on?!

Can't make the London Social next week but I heard Jack was intending to show up...

I'm off to the Brecon Beacons this afternoon so won't be bumping into any of you in the park this weekend, but hope it's a good one - and good luck for those of you racing!

Thanks again, Soo, for organising it - and I'd love to run with you sometime. Might even make an early morning next week - I ought to practise getting up before 9 again before I return to work :-) Let me know when/where you're going and whether you'd welcome the company...