Greenwich Park

Comments

• SD - can you boing it.....don't fancy 20 min of trawling...its a shame the search is so poor on the RW's site.
  • Tis OK...found it fine as it was near the start. Thanks.
  • looks like we're getting thread crossover echoes here!

Ashley and I are running from City to Greenwich on Friday @ 6.15 (I think, cos I confused the days in my diary!). We're meeting in Jamaica Road. Not sure if anyone else is running too. I'm not particularly fast, though, so may be too slow for you... and Ashley's recovering from a marathon effort!

Meanwhile SooBDoo and I are running tomorrow morning in Greenwich Park between 6 and 7, so if you see us, give us a wave!

• Hello all, back from holidays in Greece at last which is a bit of a downer. I will be running through the park at 7ish tomorrow morning on my way to work since I better do some running this week before going off to the Nottingham Half so, Snail and Soo, I may bump into you on the way (that is, if I don't look where I am going).

• There's a chance I may see you in the park tomorrow but I've a feeling you'll be finishing the time I'm starting. Saying that though I tend to see more squirels than snails in the park but I'll keep my eyes peeled!
  • Hi again Crafty - hope the hols were good - how long did you go for?!?!? Haven't seen you (virtually or otherwise) since the social!

Don't worry, if we see you coming we'll hide behind a tree :-)

• Wow - so many new posts, some new Greenwich Park-ites, and even some talk about running!
    A record day in the life of the Greenwich Park thread.

I missed the meeting where I became social secretary of the group - but everyone else seems pretty confident it happened so I guess it must be true!!

A reminder of our next gathering:
    Thursday Oct 9th, 6:30ish
    Yacht Tavern, Greenwich

I'll start a list soon of attendees...that seems to be a legal requirement for any forum gathering.

Count - Oxleas Wood is lovely - and very easy to find (ie - a Canadian with no sense of direction found it first try). (So luckily you don't need to rely on Gavo to remember to bring you a map!!)

Cheers, Soo.

• GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    By the way, I've got 1 set of spare maps for the Greenwich/ Eltham area if anyone wants them. They show cycle paths and other stuff (he says in a really successful advertising way).

I'll try to get more details on them tomorrow but if you want them then email me your address & I'll sort it out.

Snail - you going to the Serpies tonight?
  • Hi Snail,

I have had a fab set of holidays. I began with a friend's wedding in the West of Ireland and five days over there, came back for two two day weeks at work and the went off to another frien's wedding in Greece and was there for ten days. After the wedding I travelled round, climbed Mt.Olympus (although I did not manage to locate any of the gods), looked at lots of old stuff and then met up back with some froends in Anthens. A fab time and in between I managed to spend some hours on the beach.

Did you enjoy Brecon?
  • PS: have you started you new job yet? If so, I hope it is going well. If not, enjoy the last of your time off.
  • hi Gavo - yep, want to join me in 3 parks really really slow?

Have been in my new job less than a fortnight and already recruited a colleague to come with me tonight!

crafty - sounds fab! i did enjoy Brecon - but got VERY sunburnt (worst sunburn of my life) in the rain, in the middle of a cloud, in 17 degrees. How?!
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Really really slow - like 6 min miles or summit? Happy to go around with you for the first bit but might speed up later if my calf can take it.
  • !!!!!!!! I once dreamt I did a six-minute mile...

Think we're looking at around 9.5 min miles! I'm hoping Terry or someone will be there and willing to run v slowly, cos I cannot remember the 3parks route. Took me 6 months to learn 2 parks, and that's just a big circle round the outside!
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    If you can't find someone who knows the route then let me know - sadly I know it backwards for the amount of times that I've done it.
  • are you going to Seymour or straight to the corner? Think we're going to be rushing a bit - not done the journey from the city before, but I'm hoping it won't take too long. We're def changing at Seymour - colleague refuses to go on tube in shorts!!!

Seriously, if you wouldn't mind awfully & I can't find terry or anyone else, would you be prepared to show us the way? I get lost from the bit after you cross the road from the park, and I have no idea where Buck palace fits into the equation... I don't really do SW London!!! I'd buy you a drink or 3 on the 9th...
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    I go via Seymour but tend to go to M Arch on my own - best to look for me there. Not a problem showing you around the route, it goes past my office so I know it fairly well!
  • It would appear that my 'lunatic' 6am running is scaring people away from this thread. :-) So just to confirm. I am pretty much the only person on here who runs at 6am (apart from Snail - who I've forced to come with me on occasion!!). The others all run later in the morning - or even more sociably - in the evening. I know this to be true as I have NEVER, ever seen any of these people running in the park at 6am. So if you are looking for running partners in the area - you can find them here - and you won't have to get up at the crack of dawn!!

More importantly - (much more importantly) - don't forget - drinks on Thursday the 9th October at The Yacht pub in Greenwich!

If you've ever run in Greenwich Park, or if you want to run in Greenwich Park, (even if you've only heard of Greenwich Park..) do come along. (And I promise not to try to convert you to 6am running.)

People who so far have indicated interest:

The Count
    Domsk (although he's gone quiet lately)
    Gavo
    Fruity Reindeer
    Multi (another one gone mysteriously quiet)
    The Plum
    Snail
    Snoop
    SooBDoo

As last time - I'll be there from 6:30ish with a copy of Runner's World (and with any luck WITHOUT Jack!!)

Cheers, Soo.
  • Perhaps we should all turn up wearing a running t-shirt instead? Not particularly stylish, I know, but by the time I turned up last time, you'd put the mag down!! I nearly went home... It's my one and only chance to wear my brand new half-marathon t-shirt that I'll have earned by then - go on, humour me, pleeeease!! ;-)

Either that or we all have to wear pink :-D
  • Good idea Snail but (and you knew I'd have a but didn't you?) but some people come straight from work so I don't think we can enforce a dress code. (Well, that and running tshirts are generally waaaaaaayyy toooo big for us chicks to wear in public - you'll learn that soon!)

Newcomers - don't worry about finding us. It's a small pub - and we didn't lose anyone last time!!! I promise the magazine will be there as prominently displayed as possible - and I'm reasonably recognisable from my picture. (And Snail will be wearing her New Forest Half t-shirt!!)

October 9th - Yacht Pub - Greenwich - see you then!

Cheers, Soo.
  • Whereabouts in Greenwich is the pub SBD?
  • Ahhhhhh - this is where I ask one of my more technology savvy GP'ers to provide a map. Crafty???

In non techy terms it's just sort of behind/beside the Trafalgar Tavern (very big pub on the river) at 5 Crane St. walking distance from Cutty Sark DLR, Greenwich Park and Maze Hill stations (or a short bus ride on the 188 from North Greenwich tube). I've actually never been but Snoop highly recommends it.

Cheers, Soo.
  • No need for hi-tech, I can find Crane street in an A-Z (I hope!)

• The Yacht really is next door to the Trafalgar just to the east.Only 5 yeards down the alleyway behind it.

I enclose the hyperlink.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?grid2map?x=538750&y=178250&zoom=1&isp=187&ism=500&arrow=y?54,162

Can I raise the possibility that there will be no need to bring along any identifying marks beacuse we might actually recognise each other from last month!

Just because I can find a map does not make me a technology expert. I have not got a clue how computers work!
  • Crafty - are you trying to set up some sort of exclusive club?? The Count hasn't met any of us yet! ;-)

I was thinking of wearing my t-shirt OVER my suit, Soo - it's big enough. V glad I didn't order a M-size one!

So Fruity - are you coming too? What excitement! What an honour!!
  • I see. Well, I reckon those who have not met us might deduce that the group in the corner talking about races might be thew runners. Long shot I know. That said, comedy costume might be amusing but a bit intimidating for those drinking a quiet pint in their local.
  • Don't mention costumes, Multi is bound to come as a stripper!
  • Did we mention r*nning last time?? I thought we talked about everything but!
    :-)

domsk - where have you been?! And has anyone seen Multi? His last post was 2nd September...
  • I've been standing under a glass box near Tower Bridge waiting for something interesting to happen, and it did!
    I saw a big bear across the river dressed in red, now tha's entertainment.
    I've swapped a couple of e-mails with Multi recently, I think he's in the US at the moment.
    How did your 1/2 go Snail?
    I've got my first coming up at Windsor a week on Sunday.
  • Domsk, I am also running in Windsor, as is (I seem to remember) Soo and some others. Is anyone else? I had an interesting half up in Nottingham at the weekend with old friends from my university days up there. It was so hot that noone seemed to do a very good time. Hopefully Windsor will not be as warm as that.
  • I did the Nike10k and had a mare, despite feeling really good beforehand.
    I'm not concerned about the distance, just the hills.