Options

Sifting the Good from the Gadgets

DMaxDMax ✭✭✭

Hi,

Being new to running, I wondered if there were certain gimmicks not be taken in by when looking for gear.

I know shoes are the most important thing and I used Nike - GPS on the iPhone and, to be honest, I am not really sure I need much more.

Can anyone please comment on good or bad products from all areas whether it be tech, clothing, shoes, nurition, etc ...

Ta.

Comments

• Options

Nasal strips - bad

Compression gear - good

Camelback hydration system - good

• Options
    goldbeetlegoldbeetle ✭✭✭
    Helly hanson base layer - good

Lidl running socks - good (believe it or not)

SiS drinkies - good

Powerbreathe - bad
  • Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    seams when commando - bad

vaseline for seams when commando - good
  • Options
    Heart rate monitor - good, if used properly.
  • Options
    barefoot shoes - bad (your not really barefoot)
  • Options

Barefoot shoes: Good! Work for me! (I wear Nike Free Tr+ Fit and have had them for a few months with no pain, am recovering from having had near constant shin pain for the past few years! And yes, I do have an over pronation which was getting worse!)

And on that note: Born To Run (book): Very interesting and worth reading, I'll let you make your mind up, I'll just say it made sense to me and works for me.

Sweat Wicking fabric: Otherwise known as dri-fit, clima-cool...etc. Very good. But only in black.

Designated sports socks: very much worth the money. Blisters can infact be caused by poor footware.

Sports bra (it works out best if your a women!) Very good!

Compression strapping: Very good but only if fitted correctly and never wear at night!

Jelly beans for running: just save yourself the expense and go to the sweet shop, buy a packet of cheaper kids stuff, don't try to kid yourself your doing good buy buying jelly beans just because they have a picture of a runner on the front!: Refined sugar is refined sugar, bad for your teeth, blood sugar drops and there are better and cheaper options out there.

Along the same lines: Carb Bars. You do not need special foods, drinks or similar to run, you just don't! Just eat/drink something normal! Relying on refined sugar for your energy is not a good idea and there are other options out there, say for example a banana? fresh milk/soya milk with sugar (if you really need the calories), and if you're really strapped and on the go/prefer that congealed food type feel, a normal cereal bar will do pretty much the same thing. For an extra boost take a iburprofen with caffiene pill or have an espresso before a run.

• Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    pmo wrote (see)
    Heart rate monitor - good, if used properly.

Heart rate monitor - bad if not used properly.

Technical fabrics - very, very good.

And I'm going to disagree with jennn about socks... they're a very personal thing.  What works for you might not work for someone else.  Some people run in cheap socks from JB Sprots without any problems while other people find they cause blisters so need more expensive socks.

And disagreeing again... don't take ibuprofen unless you need them for pain killing or anti-inflammatory purposes.

• Options

Heart rate monitor - waste of time unless you live in a totally flat area or train on a treadmill

Garmin forerunner - great

Technical fabrics - good

Lidl socks - excellent

1000mile socks - nightmare - the only ones ever to give me blisters, and every pair have worn through the toe in under 50 miles!

Windproof gilet - excellent

Running gloves - essential

Waterproof jacket - waste of time & money

Gels and sports drinks - waste of money if going less than 2 hours

• Options
    JENN-No offence but it says you run less than 20 miles a week on a treadmill.
  • Options
    If female, a "High Impact" Sports bra is a must. Buy a reputable make, in the right size, make sure that it fits, that nothing jiggles and that it doesn't chaffe.
  • Options

Agree with the exiled Burnley fan. Waterproof jackets can be a waste of time. A couple of saturdays ago I met my friend for a run in drizzle. I wore a t-shirt and he wore a jacket. By the end he was as wet as me but just more uncomfortable. I only wear one for wind protection so would be a wind jacket. Must admit I am contemplating my first gilet for this winter.

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    gilets are good

I have 8 - they get me through any combination of weather whether running, biking, hiking, skiing or just keeping the chill off
  • Options
    North London Runner wrote (see)
    JENN-No offence but it says you run less than 20 miles a week on a treadmill.

Yes, is this a problem for you cos its not for my stress fracture and knee cartilage damage (both diagnosed by an NHS orthopedic surgeon)? Whyever would I take offence? Does it matter how far I run?

• Options
    Buff - very good
    Suunto HRM with foot pod - good
    Compression tights - good
    Bodyglide - very good
    Torq products - good
    Montane Marathon windproof - very good
    Helly Hansen Lifa - very good
    Ipods - no good
    Inov-8 waistpack and backpacks - good
    Gilet - not for me
    Double skin socks - no good