Brathay Windermere Marathon

2»

Comments

• Been battered and bruised a little bit since running Llanelli and Manchester M's last month but nothing will stop me from doing this marathon first time. Can't wait to feel the aches and pains, then the rush of adrenaline and the personal triumph once you've crossed the finish line with supportive family and spectators cheering you on. See you all soon.  image

• ...in a group of 5 lads from Germany, we will run Brathay Windermere Marathon for the first time. Some of us are quite experienced (ie.Andreas is running his 100th marathon in Ambleside, others less: it will be my 4th marathon). We are so much looking forward to the race, hoping for a dry day. I heard this is rather unusual in Lake District... image 

Also looking forward a lot to the Champions League final "Chelsa London against Bayern Munich" the night before. We will enjoy this in a local pub...

See you all soon! Anselm (from Heidelberg, Germany)

• I'm hoping for a amble round (excuse the pun!)..L2B last weekend so my legs will probably protest.  We are there is support of a clubbie 10 in 10er so it's all about him!

I hope Andreas will be celebrating his 100th?!

• looking forward to seeing everyone, i'm going to be taking my bike so I can have a nice ride around to support you all, not sure the weather is going to be great tho

• Hope you all had a great time, esp Andreas on his 100th.  As one of this year's 10in10ers I had the pleasure and privilege of getting to know the course rather well!  Personally I'm quite glad the warm weather waited till day 10 to appear!!

Having well and truly fallen in love with Brathay and the area I'll be back as many times as I can manage in future.  Hopefully for another 10 days around the lake some time image

• ringo100ringo100 ✭✭✭
    Well done on your achievement ultra kaz. I ran it the once and it certainly was not easy. I agree it is a wonderful area and I have been lured back by the great langdale in september( becoming addicted to hills) Would love to have a go at 10 in 10 one day. Emotionally it must have been tough as well finally finishing. I thought it was so special following the 10in 10ers down to the start. A wonderful day and one already penciled in for the 19th next year. Well done
  • Ta ringo.  Tbh I was lucky and, apart from odd niggles, didn't have any real injury worries so I found it much tougher emotionally than physically.  There's a combination of nerves about whether you can do it, whether your body will hold up to it as well as the emotion of actually doing it.  I'm a fairly emotional soul at the best of times but as the days went on I became a real cry baby!  I was a total basket case by Day 10!

Can safely say that it's a totally surreal experience and like nothing I've ever done before or probably will ever do again - unless I'm lucky enough to get selected again!

I'll be at Langdale (it's the 10in10 annual dinner that weekend) but I may only do the half.  I'm currently trying to plan when/where I'll be doing my 100 and suspect that doing the full at Langdale will throw a spanner in the works!

• ringo100ringo100 ✭✭✭
    As a matter of interest ultra kaz how did you get selected for the 10 in 10
  • <span class="378463914-29052012">Filled out the application form (which you can get from the Brathay website) and took it up with me when I went up for last year's race.  They ask for details of your running experience (this year they want to know your last three marathon times), your fundraising experience and a business plan of how you intend to raise the money.  This year the fundraising target is £2,750.  Entry fee is £800

<span class="378463914-29052012">Then it's fingers crossed!  It's getting harder and harder to get in!

• Well done UK Ultra K on the 10 in 10 i was crying at the presentation, no idea which runner you were, I met Sally and Fozzy in the ice cold jacuzzi tub and another guy after he finished on day 9 as I was talking to him about his strapping but cant remember his name now but he had union jack strapping on day 10 up his calves and on his achilles 

I didnt realise u had to raise so much money either to enter, well done as I find the fundraising actually harder than the training for a marathon

and I cant believe you did it without the roads being closed off too, absolutely fabulous.  I thought the hills were very hard particuarly at mile 7 and the killer one at 21, short but very steep, how on earth u did that for 10 days I will never know, very fit people is all i can say!!!

• Thanks Hannah, I think the presentation was one of the few times that day that I didn't cry!!  I was the one wearing the turquoise top and Union Jack taping on my knees and shin.  Also the one swigging back the champagne at the finish image  Not sure who that was with the taping - maybe Lee.

Well fundraising isn't that much more than you'd have to do for a golden bond place for London so not too bad and £800 for 10 marathons, accommodation, food, sports nutrition products, kit, physio twice a day and fully supported marathons is a bit of a bargain when you break it down!

The roads are a bit hairy - more so in the drag from Newby Bridge but I never felt overly bothered by it.  Odd occasions when a car would get a wee bit close for comfort but nothing major.  Tourette's Hill and Ice Cream Mountain are 'playful', to say the least.  I just walked either all, or most, of those every day.  Decided there was no point killing myself trying to run on stuff that steep.

• ringo100ringo100 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for info ultra kaz might put my name forward when feeling mad enough!