Barcelona Marathon 2012

Comments

• Sports drink was Powerade last year

Water came in bottles.......think it is the same again this year

Place to eat... let me post a couple of links on Monday when I am on a different PC. Paco Meralgo is a great tapas place (going tomorrow)

• Hi all!  I had thought I wouldn't be able to make Barcelona due to finances, but I'm very happy that I've managed to arrange it all.  Did a half-marathon last weekend and ended up smashing my PB--unfortunately, it looks like I've smashed my thighs in the process!!!  Went to my normal workout on Wednesday and felt like my thighs (outside and inside) were ripping apart and I struggled to get up off the ground.  Just rested the last few days and was feeling good so I again went to workout this morning, but the inner left thigh and outer right thigh were aching again...restricting my squats, lunges, and running.  So, I eased off it right away and am trying not to completely freak out!!  This is my third marathon and I've never run into many injuries before, and I don't really want to start now :-/  Not sure what the best approach is going to be, but I'm going to rest for the next few days first...
  •  Getting closer,

Got a steady 8 miler planned for tonight and long run of 12 on Sat.  I hope everyone else is getting on well a and injury free.  

At the start of the race  is it starting pens or do you just go in any where you fancyat the start ? 

Hope a 2nd timer can help, 

Thanks

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    I should point out that Padams'"just jogging round for fun" will be at around 2.40 pace!!

Like AK, I've been battling with injury for the last few weeks. Was in pretty good nick a month ago (2h02 in a 20 mile race), but got injured a week later & have hardly run much since. Still hope to get to Barca but it's 50:50 whether I'll run, and what sort of shape I'll be in will be a lottery.
    Will just get battered on Las Ramblas if I can't compete!!
  • Dan A - I feel for you.  I've only managed one run in the last 25 days so will be entering with a 7 week taper!   Turns out my injury is shin splints, rather than a stress fracture which I guess is a good thing.  I'm definitely going out there, as have never been before and hotel/flights are booked, but similarly 50:50 for whether I'll actually run.  I think I'll only bother if I've got a shot at sub-3 as don't want to do further damage AND be disappointed with my time.

Dean - how's the heel holding up?

Tealsocks - sounds like they could do with a decent rest.  At this stage you've done the hard graft so take it easy, especially at the weekends and stretch them a lot.  You may find other exercise (eg x-trainer) is easier on them but still keeps cardio ticking over.

• I´ve seen Dan A on Las Ramblas before with a large beer..... 1 Litre!!!!
    Hope you can run Dan, I know you´ve trained for it from reading the sub 3 thread. 

Last years marathon was this time of year and it´s warm between 12 and 3pm here (19C) but generally ok for running.

For anyone not running, there is a "breakfast run" on the Saturday which is free and starts near the place where you get your numbers and ends in the Olympic stadium. Í´ll try to dig out a link 

• Dean NDean N ✭✭✭
    Jiffle King
    Thanks for the tips ,

Ali
    I know what your going through last year I was planning on a sub 3 attempt and broke down with a suspected stress fracture 2 weeks before , never made Barca and ended up 3 months
    off running ,
    Can you cycle at all or does that hurt?

Dan
    Hope you make it also.

Heel is better now thanks Ali , done a 16 miler on sun , and felt ok , physio worked wonders , but woke up monday morning with a chest cold , not ran since , have lacked energy and not felt at all well , feel better today , keeping fingers crossed it dont linger.

Hope everyone else is taking it easy and tapering

• Hi, hope all the rest/treatment gets those sufferers to the start line feeling ok and up for a good run.....i nursed a twinged hammy around Trimpell 20 on sunday and after a much needed rest, i am back jogging again and feeling ok......

Did you do the breckie run nails last year, or anyone else....?...picking up the number on friday afternoon so will we get in or will it be full by then?.....

• Thanks, Ali image  I've been off my feet since last Saturday and feel back to normal!  Panic-fest is over...for now, at least ;D
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    A message for all those going to Barcelona.
    Just read on the newsletter that there will be no runners' list, so you have to bring along the email they sent you when you registered along with your personal ID.

Says so here

Going to try a long run tomorrow and see where we are.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

DanA - 50:50, better than a week or so ago then (think you said 85:15)?!

Mind you, drinking beer on Las Ramblas sounds quite appealing...

Did the National Duathlon champs today - hopefully that would give a similar training effect to a longish run!

• The breakfast run on the Saturday follows the route which ended the 1992 Olympic marathon

http://www.zurichmaratobarcelona.es/files/BReng.pdf

There appears to be no registration... you just rock up (This would not surprise me to be honest)  I would not recommend this is you are running the next day as it's quite a bit of climb to the stadium (but if you are not running, then finish and head up again to the castle for cracking views)

• cheers jiffle....think me and my mate (whos doing his marathon) will canter round this and enjoy the views and olympic stadium....all gonna add to the experience hopefully.....raring to go....

• Hello all, I'm back after a week skiing and no running. I did get out yesterday for a 20 miler, very nice it was too, what a beautiful day.

I did the breakfast run last year, it was great. I actually won it! I think I put this on an earlier post. They don't let you go faster than about 8m/m pace and its not competetive at all and I think its only about 5k, I had to be very cheeky to get over the line first but it was a good laugh. I would recommend it as it gets you in the mood for the Sunday and in my case I sweated out some of the previous days alcohol consumption!

Sorry to hear about some of the injuries on here. I wish all those with niggle to full blown injuries a speedy recovery. I would say if you can run it then do, don't worry about the time just enjoy the tour of the city!

• BeddersBedders ✭✭✭

Evening all

Ducked in very early on in this thread but thought I'd jump in properly now with it been so close to D-Day! I'm going for similar times as many others on here, Sub-3 would be an absolute dream but the mission is anything below 3:10 and therefore a Good-For-Age place for next years VLM.

Ran just the one marathon before (Edinburgh last year) in 3.20, was pretty pleased with that but was severely hampered on the day but shin splints from Mile two (!) and the 'every-kind-of-weather-you-could-possibly-imagine' conditions we put up with on the day. The shin-splints were my own fault, I'd been suffering with them for some time but was stupid enought to think anti-infammatories (spelling?!) would get me through it, they say you learn from your mistakes though.

A year on I've had some proper physio, am following a daily foam-rolling regieme and have generally been a bit smarter regards my training, so hopefully I can knock the required ten minutes from my previous time!

There's four of us flying over next Friday, we've manged to get an apartment near Sants station for 18e each a night (we're staying while Tuesday) which will be pretty handy for preperation. The main problem is the fact that none of them are running, theyre on one massive jolly in which I cant particpate until around midday on Sunday!

Love hearing the experiences and little pratical tips (I'm a bit of a saddo and like to know little details about everything) so keep em coming please guys!

• BeddersBedders ✭✭✭
    Oh, and I'm WELL up for a session on the ale afterwards! image
  • Bedders, welcome, which part of Yorkshire are you from?
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Bedders - sounds like you should be able to take those 10 mins off. I'm also well up for a few beers afterwards, especially if they come in litre glasses!

Just got an e-mail with my number - luckily checked my Junk mailfile today as it had gone in there! As Dan said before, you need to take this to the Expo apparently.

Do we want to start a list?

Padams - 238

• Woah, my number is WAY higher than yours, Padams! image

Padams - 238

Tealsocks - 15441

• Padams - 238

Tealsocks - 15441

Elli - 14592

Does anyone know if medical certificate is required? I can't see any info about it so I assume not, but would be nice to be sure.
  • TmapTmap ✭✭✭

No medical certificate last year, Eli.

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

tealsocks - yes, not sure why I've got a lowish number. Possibly just alphabetical (I end up with number 1 or 2 in a lot of races!).

Elli - I don't think so, not in previous years. I won't be taking one anyway, so I hope not!

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Yep, I think it's alphabetical. Mr Aaron Aardvark must be sh!tting himself.

Padams - 238
    Dan A - 273
    Tealsocks - 15441
    Elli - 14592

Remember once doing a race a few years back and Padams and I were race numbers 1 & 2!! Pretty sure we didn't finish in those positions.
  • No medical cert needed last year as TMAP said and none needed in general for Spanish races.

I would take your passport or driving licence to the expo, in some races, they ask to check who you are, but normally not. Also be aware that when paying for things, not everywhere uses chip and pin and those places where they don´t, you need a photo ID (Driving licence is fine)

On my cycle to work this morning, they have taken up the protection from the cycle lane (rubber bollards) in preparation for the race. The weather has been good, with daytime temps around 18C and not too cold at night (6-8C) A bit of sea fog today, but generally very good.

Note also that most shops are not open on a Sunday.... Thats all large supermarkets, but the smaller stores for food are open. 2-3% of shops are open but if you want to shop, Saturday is the time (Between 5pm and 8pm is a nightmare shopping!!)

Where to eat? Good question... Most of the stuff around Las Ramblas is expensive or rubbish. There are exceptions, but I would head away into Born or Ravel for a menu del dia (€10 for 3 courses and drink) or Exiample where the locals places are. Flamant, La Rita, Habaluc, Solo Pizza, Non-solo pizza, Filete Russo are all in Exiample and very good. Best for Tapas in this area is Paco Meraglo but it´s 10 mins walk from Passeig de Gracia.

Where to drink? There are too many choices. I woudl go for small bars and many have terraces at the back. The main Las Ramblas is expensive, but they do serve massive beers. If you want anything other than Lager, wine or Cava, then you might need to find an Irish bar (Just google as there are loads) If you feel like celebrating and splashing out, go to the bar in the wave hotel or see if the bar in Casa Batillo is open. Otherwise, I think the beach bars will be open, but are more pricey

Enjoy!!

• Padams - 238
    Dan A - 273
    Tealsocks - 15441
    Elli - 14592
    Al Riley - 3195

I need a better forum name...
  • Padams - 238
    Dan A - 273
    Tealsocks - 15441
    Elli - 14592
    Al Riley (WWW - Wild West Wacer) - 3195
    No More Nails - 385The Savage (mate of NMN) - 380
  • Tammy Ward- 12905

Getting soooo excited !!!!  I will be wearing a Bellahouston Road Runners vest if any of you want to say hi.  Good luck to everyone taking part.

• BeddersBedders ✭✭✭

Got my number -

Bedders: 299

NMN - We're from York, god's capital! image

•  York Team
    No More Nails - 385The Savage (mate of NMN) - 380Bedders - 299Rest of WorldPadams - 238
    Dan A - 273
    Tealsocks - 15441
    Elli - 14592
    Al Riley (WWW - Wild West Wacer) - 3195