Barcelona Marathon 2012

Comments

• Don't know why my lists aren't working properly.

York Team
     No More Nails - 385 The Savage (mate of NMN) - 380 Bedders - 299  Rest of World Padams - 238
     Dan A - 273
    Tealsocks - 15441
     Elli - 14592
     Al Riley (WWW - Wild West Wacer) - 3195
  • I would take the nickname Wil West Wacer but I've already ironed 'A L' in fluoro orange letters on to my blue vest...
  • Dean NDean N ✭✭✭
    York Team
    No More Nails - 385 The Savage (mate of NMN) - 380 Bedders - 299 Rest of World Padams - 238
    Dan A - 273
    Tealsocks - 15441
    Elli - 14592
    Al Riley (WWW - Wild West Wacer) - 3195
    Dean N 1729

Hope everyone is well and fit and taking it easy

Jiffle King thanks for the tips

My chest is still a bit infected so have started 7 day course of antibiotics , hoping I can clear things up in a few days .
    will have a 7or 8 miler on sunday to keep the legs ticking over , whats everyone else got planned this weekend ?
  • York Team

Bedders 299
    No More Nails 385
    The Savage 380

Rest of the World

Padams 238
    Dan A 273
    Tealsocks 15441
    Elli 14592
    Al Riley (Wild West Wacer) 3195
    Dean N 1729

I've injured my back/arse and therefore I'm hungover. If I wasn't injured i'd be running now and wouldn't have got myself in this state. I'd be a mess without running!
  • York Team

Bedders 299
    No More Nails 385
    The Savage 380

Rest of the World

Padams 238
    Dan A 273
    Tealsocks 15441
    Elli 14592
    Dean N 1729
    Jerseydaniel 6601

Had a very slack week, even for a taper....just one 7 mile run, but will be out for a very gentle 13 tomorrow... 

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Well I was ill at the weekend after a long bike ride on Saturday morning (not sure if that caused it or if it was coming on beforehand). So no running, but given the build-up I've had, I doubt it's going to make any difference!

So will just try to enjoy the race - no pressure anyway as I would never get near my PB even if I'd had a perfect build-up! Looking forward to it.

Hope everyone else had a good weekend and you're all ready to go! Weather forecast looks good (for running) - not too warm or sunny.

• The blue line was painted on Saturday image If you are running sub 3, then you will be able to see this most of the way, 3:45, only the last half marathon
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Am I right in thinking it's a 8.30am start, plus with an hour's time difference between UK & Spain, plus another hour for the clocks going forward on race morning - that makes it the equivalent of a 6.30am start?

Gonna be a very early alarm call for this one. Not sure my body clock will be fully awake at that time.
  • Oh man Dan A, you're right.  I'd forgotten that Spain is an hour ahead of the UK anyways when thinking about the "spring forward" of the clocks.  Uggghhh!
  • York Team

Bedders 299
    The Savage 380
    No More Nails 385

Rest of the World

Ali King 168
    Padams 238
    Dan A 273
    Dean N 1729
    Jerseydaniel 6601
    Elli 14592
    Tealsocks 15441

I think numbers are done on when we signed up (my sad keenness showing through here!).

I have been off the forum for a couple of weeks as I was licking my wounds.  The shin splints continued to give grief and not being able to do a single run in 30 days put me on the verge of sacking it off.  But I then ran a pain-free 5 minutes on Saturday!!  That, combined with the adrenelin that's already kicking in has made me decide to just go for it.  Sub-3's going to be a tall order but hopefully I've kept most of the fitness ticking over with cycling/stepper so I figure I might as well give it a shot.

Apologies if it has already been mentioned but are there starting pens (I remember it being mentioned that there's no need to get to the start well ahead of time)?  If any of the sub-3ers want to start out together then I'd be happy to meet up just before and run with them (although I am fairly anti-social when running).  I'd be aiming for a 1:26 split, so roughly 4:05/km and then see how the second half goes.

Is anybody else right now unable to think of anything BUT Sunday morning?!

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Ali - blimey, 30 days without running makes my build-up sound pretty good! Fair play for giving it a go, and if you've been doing lots of cross-training, you never know.

Personally I'm not getting too stressed about this as I have no pressure on any particular target etc.

I'll be up at about 4am on Saturday morning to catch the flight, so hopefully 6:30am for a race start won't seem too bad. I don't usually run well really early in the morning though!

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Padams - you're not on the 7.30am BA flight out of Heathrow are you? If so, I'll see you there.
    Could perhaps share a cab into the city?

I think there are starting pens. Elite/Sub 3/3-30 etc. depending on your entry prediction.

Quick question for Jiffle if you're still on here mate. Is is worth doing the stadium tour of the Nou Camp? I do like a good sports stadium, and we did the touristy bus ride last time!
  • From the airport: Cab should be €30 max to town including €1 per bag in the boot and €3:10 for an airport run. Alternative is to get the train. Buy a T10 ticket for €9.25 which buys you 10 journeys around the city. Buy one and pass it back to your friend/partner (perfectly legal) Pickpockets are on the trains and Las Ramblas, but normal precautions and you´ll be fine. 

Stadium tour - It´s quite good.... The trophy room is excellent and you get to go down to the duggouts which is always nice. It will not be open on a matchday, so check if BCN are away this weekend or go on the other day (They play Saturdays when the champs league is a Tuesday) We did not go for the audio guide as there are plaques in different languages explaining what happens when.

Alternative: If you´ve been to the Olympic stadium which is free to get into and takes about 10 mins to look at, there is the olympic museum about 50 metres away (follow the athletes footprints)  and for €3 its a very good hour looking at old sports equipment and a few videos. You can also do the long jump and high jump challenges

starting pens People are pretty good about where they start and I just jumped in from the side late on last year. There are pens all the way to over 4 hours as I recall

Toilets - there will seem like very few toilets, but the Spanish do not seem to need them as much as us Brits. There will be queues, but they are usually ok. Take your own paper!!!

I´ll be supporting with TJQ as well. I´ll be on my white fixie and hoping to see a few Brits out there. Toughen up for 30-35km as there are not too many supporters at that point.

And Dan... I still need to buy a shirt... I´ll do it Saturday night assuming we get a new computer Saturday. TJQ wants one as well

• BeddersBedders ✭✭✭

FInished work today, GET IN! SO close now, couple of days to get stuff sorted then we fly out Friday afternoon.

I right fancy this 'Breakfast Run' on the Saturday morning for a bit of a loosen-up. The official site says there will be 2,000 bibs (places) for this and that they should be collected from the Expo. We won't be there in time to go to the Expo on the Friday and it doesnt open while 10am on the Saturday. The breakfast run is 9.30, do you reckon it's just a show-up-and-run kinda deal??

• York Team

Bedders 299
    The Savage 380
    No More Nails 385

Rest of the World

Ali King 168
    Padams 238
    Dan A 273
    Dean N 1729
    Jerseydaniel 6601
    Elli 14592
    Tealsocks 15441
    Ian Livesey 2108

From Skipton just down the road from York and was actually a mere 10 yards from the minster, its pianos in the street and chaps on stilts on Saturday so maybe an adopted York'er to even up the numbers...

• Dean NDean N ✭✭✭
    hi all
    not long to go now , been to the physio this afternoon to get the legs ready , had my race hair cut and tomorrow will have a slow short run of about 3 or 4 ks .
    still don't feel 100 percent from chest infection but unless I take a turn for the worse will be on the plane sat morn,

Dan A looks like I am on the same flight as you , 7.30 ba from Hrow.
    Was thinking of the nou camp tour myself and on Sunday at 4pm I see Espanyol are playing
    Malaga , its either the football or hitting the bars early .

Jiffle King
    Thanks again for all the Info , Iam staying in the Torre Cataluna , what sort of time do you think I should leave to head down to the start , I believe its close by.I will look out for you on your fixie ,
    Ali King
    Good to hear your going to give it a crack , thats a good taper you,ve had !
    If I feel ok on sunday I will be giving sub 3 a shot as well but will be aiming for a 1.29.30 split, so will be a good few mins behind you hopefully .

• Dean - looks like we're in a similar boat.  I too have had the obligatory haircut (it was down to my mouth!).  I'm also staying in the Torre Catalunya, so will see you for the early morning buffet breakfast.  Could be dangerous.  I'm loving how close it is to the start/finish.

Is anyone else on the Saturday BA flight at 11:25?  I couldn't face getting up for the 7:30 one, although with hindsight it'll probably be good prep for Sunday.

• Count me in for the 7:30 BA flight on Saturday morning...though I fully intend to sleep the moment I sit down on the plane! (I did the same on my way to Berlin in '10 and kept doing the head dropping thing, even managing to tap my head on the wall at one point...all next to a RW forum member :b).  I'm planning to take the aerobus towards my accomodation though image

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Dan - no, flying from Luton (closer for us) even earlier! Think we're taking off around 6:30am.

I'll probably try to go to the Expo as soon as we've checked into the hotel etc. so will be there late morning if all goes to plan.

• Its getting close now.

Ali, you look a little too fast from what we are planning, we shouldn't be far behind you if our plan works.

I must remember to print that registration thing off.

Brekkie run is brill and last year we just turned up on the Saturday and got bibs, if fact we may not have even got bibs but we did it and it was great.

I must remember to print my boarding pass.

I'm actually a little excited rather than the usual aprehension I get. My biggest fear is missing my flight home. 14:15 it leaves, I can't believe they moved it by 4 hours.

See you at the start line. I will be in a Norwich City shirt if you want to say hello. We are massive but I can't see there be many others! I wouldn't normally wear a footy shirt but I thought the good people of Barcelona could get a preview of a Norwich shirt as they'll no doubt be playing us soon!!!

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Think it might be pretty obvious who the runners are at the airport. Will endeavour to say hello to anyone who looks a likely candidate (and not asleep).

Padams - we'll head straight to the expo from the airport, so probably will see you there (staying near the start/finish/expo area anyway).

Still haven't shaken off the calf injury that's blighted the last six weeks. Will just have to run with it and hope it will last 26.2 miles without doing anything dramatic.
  • Dean NDean N ✭✭✭
    Dan A
    Likewise I will look out for you and tealsocks at the airport
    Good luck with the calf niggle on sunday.

Ali King
    I am going to give the Buffet breakfast a miss on the basis that I might end up eating too much so I will have something in the room .No doubt I will see you somewhere in the foyer as I will be floating around there before heading off to the start.

NMN
    I will keep an eye out for you in your Norwich top,

I will be sporting a black vest with a small St georges cross on it if any one wants to say hello.

Forecast is a top temp of 18c so i doubt it will reach that until mid afternoon , hopefully during the marathon it will be no hotter than 15 c or 16c .

Had a gentle 3 k run this evening , no more running for me until sun now.

Good luck to everyone flying out tomorrow .
  • I'll be far in the back of the pack, so doubt I will see anyone around the race, but I'll be sporting a blue top that says "I (heart) Sweat" image

Getting plenty excited!!

• From the Gran Torre Catalunya (by Sants station)  ít´s 300m max (I am currently sat on the 13th floor in the 1st building you see between that and placa españa (start of the race)

• Right ... Bags Packed with trainers, shorts and LOADS of painkillers ...

me and my gimpy knee are going to start on Sunday....

We'll worry about finishing later !!

Good luck all !!

I`m all 'cited now !!
  • Best of luck to everyone.

I went on the breakfast run this morning. Have to say, it felt very hot...

Right, pasta party time.
  • I'm feeling dead exhausted just from walking today, which makes me a tad worried about tomorrow! image Did anyone get sponges in their pack? This is the second marathon I've done that's talked about them and having water buckets throughout the course to wet the sponge in, but I've not had it actualize either time. Not that they were needed in Berlin that year, but it wouldn't been nice for this sun! image
  • Well, I'm glad that my thoughts about the sponges were for naught, as I gladly took any sponge handed my way today.  Anyone know how hot it actually got out there?  When I got to the airport this evening (a bit past 5) their screens said it was 23.5 degrees. 

I'm just so thrilled with how today went for me.  I ended up coming in sub-5 hours at 4:57--a full 32 minutes faster than my previous PB and 50 minutes fast than my first marathon.  And despite the heat!!  I seriously appreciated all the bottles of water (as I carried them along to either drink from--along with my camelbak--or to dump water on myself) and the many cups of Powerade.  Didn't know I liked the blue and red flavours so much image  

I tried to take a few photos along the route...which resulted in me almost tumbling over an official photographer who was sitting on the ground as I looked back at Sangrada Familia one last time.  Whoops!!

Hope everyone else had a successful race!

• Morning All....

I Hope you aren't too sore this morning ... Well done to everyone who took part and I hope you all achieved what you wanted to DESPITE the heat!!

I don't know how the race went for you all but my legs felt heavy from about 6 miles !! and the heat certainly didn't help.. Got Cramp a mile and a bit from the finish just as we hit 'La Rambla'..
    but just managed to sneak in under 4hours at 3:56... I`ll take that after last weeks knee pain.

2nd Barca' Marathon for me ... and as always I said " no more !!"...

so

see you all in London and Next year back back at 'The Magic Fountain of Montjuic'..

Well done Barcelona again!