opinions on club runners

13»

Comments

• I've run for various clubs, and it's safe to say that no two of them have ever been very similar. The one thing they all have in common? It sure beats running all by yourself six times a week.
    Clubs are also good if you do "speed" sessions rather than just steady running, as lone speedwork is either torture or useless!
  • Pethead wrote (see)
    Clubs are also good if you do "speed" sessions rather than just steady running, as lone speedwork is either torture or useless!

I agree.  I've stopped even attempting to do speed work on my own.  It's just so much harder and you are so much more likely to give up...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I used to often quote the "speedwork is easier in a group" line.

Now I think that's bullspit.

Chances are that in your average club you're doing it with a bunch of completely different abilities, and have no idea of the correct rep pace, length or recovery, meaning that you don't get a quality work out, and instead are trying to compete with people in training...never a good idea.

I much prefer doing a speed session on my own, knowing I'm doing it to my own designated pace, know the amount of reps...know the recoveries etc.

Before I used to fool myself that a miscellaneous club session of "run fast to that lampost, jog back, then run fast to the next lampost" was a good workout!

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Stevie, I guess it is a good workout to those who are would otherwise do nothing.  It would help me for example, as I have no idea about how to train other than knocking out the miles and doing a few as recovery runs.

But I appreciate that if you are looking to up your game then you might need training that is more specific to you.