wannabe ultra runner?

Comments

• *delurks*
    I seem to remember that plan being discussed on an ultra thread last year, and it not being too popular with the experienced ultra-runners, but I can't for the life of me remember why, sorry! image

I did my first ultra (Lakeland50) the weekend before last - absolutely loved it, amazing experience image
    I did nothing on that scale, training-wise, at all. A few back-to-back long runs on weekends (18 then 15 miles on consecutive days, for example) following on from spring marathon training. I made sure I was familiar with the terrain (which was the toughest aspect of the L50) and made sure I could eat and run without upsetting my stomach.

Good luck to everyone who wants to have a go - I cannot recommend it highly enough image
  • I've got a spring marathon lined up so have a little while to decide which way to go. The Welsh one day series is a very tempting set of ultras... I guess I'll prob do a tri and an ultra at some point, it's just which I do first.

I wonder if an ultra is as addictive as a marathon thou... you say you'll only do it once or twice then after 4 or 5 you want the next challenge.

I read the book the Robin Harvie on his spatathlon journey - didn't like it myself, he just got so self-obsessed and kept adding in literature reviews - quoting over and over what other people had said.

BB

• I'm going for my first tri and Ironman in 2012, BB. But I fully intend to do the Lakeland again next year too - now I know the course, I know I can go at least an hour faster, if not more.

Can I also recommend you have a look at the Long Distance Walkers Association (LDWA)? They have long distance events every weekend of the year, are dead cheap, incredibly welcoming and some of their events accept runners and run/walkers (and there's usually great food offered at the finish/CPs image )
    Walking is a good way of getting some longer miles in the legs too. I did the Njmegen Marches in 2007 (120 miles) which was also an amazing, life-changing experience image
  • would definitely encourage people to look at the LDWA challenge events......most allow runners and its great if you are slow as there are people walking the courses..............I try and run the flats and downhills and walk the uphills...................

I did manage to ultra train earlier this year as well as marathon training................after the long run I did a back up very slow recovery run of 8 -10 miles which helped my body prcactice running on tiired legs..............I also started my marathon training early and so di a few more 20 to 24 mile runs in my schedule.................

added to that some long bike rides and I managed to smash my marathon PB as wellimage

• ...a friend of mine mentioned LDWA too..and yes, she said the food was scrummy!!image.....frodo, the male schedule i found is exactly the same distances at same weeks so goodness knows why its down as 'female' scheduleimage.......im kinda with you frodo on the training plan..i havnt ever stuck to rigid training schedules not even as ive increased mileage..i just kinda work it out in my head and if my body is feeling ok with it...sometimes life doesnt allow us to stick to rigid training plans and i think id get really narked if i kept missing days or distances i 'should' have done...in fact itd probably get me a bit panicked......my aim for JW was to be at 18mile runs by the end of this summer/Oct...maintain over winter, then increase over spring to 20/22.....
  • Hi all. I've just completed my first iron-distance tri and when thinking about the next challenge I found the idea of ultras very appealing, so that's what I'm going to do. I'm doing 2 marathons in 2 days in December, then I think I'll try the Thames Trot in Feb with an eye to doing The Wall in June. I don't think I'm going to follow a schedule, just do some back to back long runs. But I think I'm going to see where cross-training gets me, as I'm finding that quite liberating after the IM training, just having the freedom to go mountain biking or weight-training or a group ride or whatever I fancy. It's got to be fun, right?
  • morning all you Duracellsimage...Tiago, i think im going to do the back-to-back LSR idea for training, itd suit me much better and ft in around things more easily..i will make sure i roughly know when i want to peak at the highest mileage and then taper.....thames trot is meant to be good..nice along the tow path, i like that idea of being there and not on roads so much, thats why JW appeals to me. i may go for thames trot too at some point as im in Oxford..image...i agree with the cross-training, i used to bike a lot but then for a while didnt even have one!.my daughter is now old enough to ride bikes on roads and country lanes/paths so i have just this last month got a bike and finding a bike ride on days in between LSR is really good recovery but still feeling like not having long gaps between exerciseimage...im hoping miss llb will be able to cycle some distances and pace me and be company!image
  • I work in Oxford, so the Thames Trot seemed to make sense.
  • how far was the IM tri distance? image
  • Is that a trick question? IM = Ironman, although it was unbranded (Outlaw) so I don't want to get sued. So 2.4, 112, 26.2. And it was lush, I heartily recommend it.
  • 2.4mile swim
    112 mile bike
    26.2 mile run

If that's not far enough you can also do double, triple,quint and deca image
  • Tiago Hefner 2 wrote (see)
    Is that a trick question? IM = Ironman, although it was unbranded (Outlaw) so I don't want to get sued. So 2.4, 112, 26.2. And it was lush, I heartily recommend it.
    no it wasnt a trick question...i wasnt sure entirely how far the run/swim/bike ratios were for IM thats all, im not a pirate- yet  -so not familiar with it all Tiagoimage
  • Ironcedar (aka Hoofin) wrote (see)
    2.4mile swim
    112 mile bike
    26.2 mile run

If that's not far enough you can also do double, triple,quint and deca image
    thanks ironcedar..image..id not heard ofthe quint....have you done the triple and quint?
  • Can I be a duracell too?image
  • Loulabell and Tiago = you are both Oxford dwellers? I live up the thames in Abingdon *waves frantically*

NLR = Depends if you have enough lube? image

Decisions decisions - I won't have time to train for both... ultra first or half-ironman type tri... anyone out there with experience that can suggest which would be a natural progression...?

• I went marathon - half ironman - ironman - now looking at ultras, but an ironman has always been my ambition, so i always knew I've been working towards that.

I'm a Didcot dweller (it's not that bad really) but I work in Oxford, cycle through Abingdon on my way home each night.

• I have a feeling that long-distance triathlons are going to be more difficult than ultras as you have three disciplines to work on to endurance level.

I'm reading the book Can't Swin, Can't Ride, Can't Run by Andy Holgate. He's a RW forum user and his going from zero to IM story is hilariously fantastic. It's a great motivator to anyone thinking of doing an IM distance challenge.

Didcot isn't that bad - it's got more going for it than Abingdon at the moment. I work in Swindon at the mo, so cycle Abingdon to Didcot train station most days. Used to work (and looking for work again) in Oxford and cycle or run to/from.

• HI BB

Maybe this video will make your mind up for you....image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuBw39uCT4Q

• I have done a few Ultras but I would NO WAY say I am experienced in this field.

However here are my thoughts:-

All I will say is when it comes to training for Ultra’s the time required to train adequately suddenly becomes a major factor. If like me you are not time rich (I have 4 children) then having a structured training plan and following it to the letter is very difficult.

For me I write my own plan and have a weekly goal mileage that I wish to achieve. I then grab the running opportunities as they come during the week.

In terms of the runs try and get used to back to back running maybe every other weekend. It does not need to be 2 long runs, one way to replicate this is to do a short but fast run in the evening and then do your long run the next morning. Remember what your trying to do is tune yourself into running on tired legs.

A major factor in Ultra’s is re fuelling the body, both in terms of fluid and food.

Get used to taking on fuel in your training runs; if your aim is to run a 50k then gels probably will be sufficient if you use them, anything longer you will need other food sources.

For me I don’t like gels generally although I have used them but tend to get sick of them after a few hours. I find the longer the Ultra the greater the variety of food your body will require.

When choosing food types try and go for food which has complex carbs as this will give you greater consistency in your energy levels. High sugar food / fluid sources like coke and sweets are great for the short term but over a long period inevitably you end up with a lot of highs and lows in your energy levels.

With regard to recovery post Ultra it all depends on your body’s recovery rate some people’s rate is longer than others. Also the distance of the Ultra will have a profound affect on recovery; a 50K will have a similar recovery rate to a marathon recovery for me around a week.

A mid distance Ultra 50miles or 100K the recovery is still pretty good within a couple of weeks I am generally back to full training mode.

For me when I do 100mile plus Ultra the recovery rate can be a little longer but generally within a month I am back to normal.

For instance at the End of May this year I completed the GUCR (145mile Ultra), 25days later I took part in a 100mile Ultra which I would have completed but I got injured, I managed 31miles. I know 3 guys who completed the GUCR and went on to finish the 100miler.

Hope this helps.

• *quickly fumbles for earphones and discreatly watches video in open plan offce*

tee hee hee - So I'm a kn*b whatever I choose image

Hmm, to smell bad and sh*t in the woods or to get an ar*e pounding and look like a tw*t! Decisions decisions. Well I do like TK Maxx... but then I do like pointy hats... image 

• Think big, BB, I want to look like a tw*t and smell bad and sh*t in the woods.

• Thanks for the fab advice Bret Runner.

I'm tempted by the Welsh one day serious. 30mile, 40mile, 50mile then 40miles spaced across 9 months.

I am the same for training. Have my schedule for the week and fit in training when the time comes up and depending how strong (or not!) I feel. I managed marathon training without too many time issues.

• "thanks ironcedar....id not heard ofthe quint....have you done the triple and quint?"

I'm not that daft loulabell! (probably....image)

I've just done single distance at the moment; last year. Am now taking some time to focus on some shorter stuff with the ultimate aim being to come back to IM/Ultra distance stuff in a couple of years having developed a bit of speed!

I would definitely recommend IM and tri in general; the atmosphere's great and because of the x-training factor you can increase volume much more quickly with less chance of injury.
  • Hi All - I am doing the toad Challenge as My first venture in Ultras 30miles a day x 3 Days

I normally run a marathon around 3:30 + any advise on what I should try and aim for One person I have talked to suggested running 50 Minutes and walking 10 taking on fulids and food

This really is a starter for  me as I am running the MdS in 2012 so plan to do the Druid with full pack etc

Any advise greatly received 

• BB, yes im just outside of Oxford in a village...

Bret runner, i have the same time constraints, work and children and like you said the rigid training ultra schedules really wont suit me and i'll end up feeling like ive failed if i dont stick to it all the time..so i  will prob do the same and pre-plan long runs to suit whatever i have to fit around. the fuel thing is important and i dont like the gels idea, too much sloshing about in my tum!.....im going to have to work on the fuelling thing, im very small, dont weigh much and burn up food like you wouldnt believe...am wondering how im going to keep up with it!

• Want to do an IM today... was fixed on ultras yesterday... wooh is me!

Lou - do you know of any decent small running clubs round here? h

BB

• Ultra vs Iron Man?

I have only done the former myself, but I know a couple of people who have done both. 

Their opinion seems to be that a 40-50 mile ultra is harder to do on the day, but an iron man is harder to train for. 

• On that subject, this is worth a look if you fancy a giggle:
    http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/8279147/ultra-runner-vs-iron-man

Sorry, you'll have to C+P, can't link in Chrome image
  • Frodo

That pretty much covers the salient points!