wannabe ultra runner?

Comments

• Tricia - I have a  Radlight backpack, has a botte on the side so fine as long as there will be water top up points, find it pretty comfy. Never used a camelback type pack but I've only done two short ultras so far.

Veggie - Well done - that sounds impressive!

• veggieboy wrote (see)

Feet are like a war zone - I have a 3 inch blister on the pad of each foot and I will lose at least 5 toenails

Just about to go off swimming with the kids. One look at my feet and the pool should clearimage

imageimage
  • Oh dear to the feet- I was reading one of the other threads, and the damage seems inevitable once you get into the >50 mile range- I am hoping that a change of socks +/- shoes at the half way point of a 33 miler will  avoid too much devastation- I'm usually not too bad, although I do get rather macerated toes if it's at all wet underfoot..........................and my race is in november, in the west of scotland- OMG, what am I thinking?

I had foot trouble at the last Loch Ness I did , 'cos there was standing water , which I ran through, and got wet feet early on, got blisters underthe balls of my feet- had to pull over at about 18 miles- the first aid guys did an amazing job of taping them- I would have given £100 to anyone who could have given me dry socks at that stage- lesson learned!

Looking forwards to the full report on the 100 miler- now THAT is what you call long distance- I doubt I'll ever go to that extreme- but then 7 years ago I'd never run a 10k, and now look at me!

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    I'm interested in the foot taping thing... How much tape and how is I'd applied?
  • Loulabell

You could probably get a pack that was a lot lighter than the Eurohike one, while still having more capacity.  The most important advice is always to try it on before you buy it, and ask the shop assistant to stuff it full of old carrier bags to give it a more realistic feel.  Fit is as important in a pack as in a pair of shoes. 

I have also done the NDW 100, and have written my observations in the relevant thread.  I am sure that Vegie Boy's report will be more detailed though. 

• Mr F...as far as foot taping goes, there's a really good book called "Fixing Your Feet" by John Vonhof. Covers everything from coping with "hot spots" and preventative taping, to taping blisters if you leave it too late (also covers footwear choice, socks and the basics). Very good and covers the majority of issues that you'll come across. 

Got mine from Amazon.

• race report is here if you want the full grizzly details

http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=80804&start=0

first post is my report, later post covers my training, nutrition and equipment

• Grum

Have just found that book on line

Will defo be ordering

• Ben Davies 15 wrote (see)

Loulabell

You could probably get a pack that was a lot lighter than the Eurohike one, while still having more capacity.  The most important advice is always to try it on before you buy it, and ask the shop assistant to stuff it full of old carrier bags to give it a more realistic feel.  Fit is as important in a pack as in a pair of shoes. 

I have also done the NDW 100, and have written my observations in the relevant thread.  I am sure that Vegie Boy's report will be more detailed though. 

thanks ben, the eurohike is the ladies aqua4 so not too big at all for me..i am a tad worried about how my feet will survive ultras...i was a dancer though in a former life so black n bruised toenails were the norm as were blisters...but reading the above experiences it sounds like its going to get nastyimage
  • Veggieboy

It's a really good book. I think the guy helps out at aid stations for Badwater and the like so really knows his stuff. I also never knew that there were so many ways to protect against blisters!

• I have ordered it today

Next purchase will be some debris gaiters

• anyone seen the druid ultra challenge in november in oxfordshire?....looks okimage
  • thanks for the advice <a href="http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/localiser/member.asp?sp=&v=1&MemNo=531201" title="Visit loulabell member profile">loulabell</a> yes it is a huge leap,but between now and then im hoping to do a half marathon and maybe a full too,i guess i just liked the sound of it all,plus its my home country so would be kind of nice to connect with it again image
  • Loula - That looks like fun! So which year are you planning it for? I might join you. image
  • *facepalm* that will teach me for trying to be clever,and not using my glassesimage
  • I've done the Druids' twice.  Great friendly event, only downside is that if the weather has been wet then end of day 1 and start of day 2 can mean ploddding through heavy clay mud.
  • oh dear I think after reading this thread I may try for an ultra!

i'm doing 2 marathons in October so think I will just continue and train for a 30 or 33 mile race after then see how it goes!

However am only up to 14 mile distance on my LSRs with only 8 weeks to marathon to go - training not going well!
  • runspundrun

That's not a problem. 

If you can stretch your LSR out to 18 miles over the next few weeks, you will be fine.  I suggest that you peak at 18-20 miles three weeks before the marathon, then drop down to 15 miles for the long run two weeks before the marathon.  After that just do as little as possible to let your body recover. 

The act of running the first marathon will ensure a significant boot in performance for the second.  After that we can talk ultras!

• top report, veggie boy- it's good to know that you can get running again, even if you think you can't even stand/ walk- hope the feet are recovering by now. I can't even contemplate what 100 miles must be like!

Blisters under toenails is a big problem for me too= I get at least 3 every time I do a marathon, so I imagine it might be a probelm during the longer races. For the marathons they are only a problem the moment I finish, and going up by a size in shoes has certainly helped.

Runspudrun- try going slower on your LSR's. it will help with building distance- plus "time in feet" is more important than distance covered.

I've done no running to speak of at more than marathon pace, but I'm managing much bigger mileages than I used to, and recovering quicker- my marathon is 6 weeks away, and I'm going to try to pick the pace up a little ( not least because I have a half in 2 weeks), but I'm more concerned with endurance than pace, I alsways run too fast in the marathon anyway, and I presume that in an ultra the effect of an early burst of pace would be pretty ghastly in the longer run ( so to speak!)

• Chilibean wrote (see)
    Loula - That looks like fun! So which year are you planning it for? I might join you. image
    hello chili!!!image *waves* come join me my lickle fwiend....yes yes do the druid ru  wiv meeeeeee pleeeasseeeeeeeeee.....i think we may have to opt for next year chili...blimey im losing count of what we are signing up for ....IM, JW, druids..you doing Kielder.....image erm....dyu think we can do it?
  • Bear B.Hind wrote (see)
    I've done the Druids' twice.  Great friendly event, only downside is that if the weather has been wet then end of day 1 and start of day 2 can mean ploddding through heavy clay mud.
    bear b hind.....do you HAVE to do BOTH days?
  • runspudrun wrote (see)
    oh dear I think after reading this thread I may try for an ultra!

i'm doing 2 marathons in October so think I will just continue and train for a 30 or 33 mile race after then see how it goes!

However am only up to 14 mile distance on my LSRs with only 8 weeks to marathon to go - training not going well!
    hi runspudrun..i agree with tricia..go slower and you will find your endurance eeks out just that bit further...and each week go a mile more....soon upto 18milesimage
  • Thanks guys for your advice! I'm gonna peak at 20 miles now and will probably run my first marathon slower and go for time on my second. Then I'll be on for an ultra!!
  • any ultras in mind runspudrun?
  • Just back from holiday, spent a lovely week at Rutland Lake and managed a 18 miler around the lake, beautiful place.

Loulabell, I assume you've found the link to the London Ultra 50k ?, if not here it is -> http://www.ultrarace.co.uk/events/details/?eventid=111

Regarding the backpack discussion, I've opted for the Camelbak Octane 24. 3 litres with plenty of space for the extras.

• hi stefkirl..the lake run you did sounds lovely..image..weather becoming autumnal very quickly now i notice..i really like Autumn though...and even winter running produces spectacular scenery on early a.m runs.......who prefers winter runs to warm weather runs?
  • Winter all the way for me

Most of my running is commuting to work setting out at about 5.30 in the morning

Last winter the water in my hydration pack tube froze a few times!

• veggieboy wrote (see)

Last winter the water in my hydration pack tube froze a few times!

imageimage....i was out other day running and had a thought about that , as i have not yet run with a pack during winter. last year i was nowhere near higher mileage OR thinking about ultrasimage....i had the odd thought that just putting warm water or tea in it might be nice...a:to stop it freezing up           b: something nice to drinkimage       c: keeps your back warm!!image

• or hot chocolate !!!!!!!!image nom nom
  • Bought a new pack/ hydration system- it's an osprey "verve"- it was the only one made small enough to fit me- none of the others had short enough straps!

Willl try it out on the commute home- don't like the sound of iced-up water spout!