wannabe ultra runner?

Comments

• rach72

I definitely understand where you are coming from when you say that you find city marathons a lot less interesting than off road events. 

There is a 35 miler coming up in Yorkshire called the Round Ripon.  While I have never done this event, I have participated in two by Go Beyond who run this event, and they were both verry well organised. 

If this is a bit too soon, then there is one coming up later in the year called the Rosedale Rumble, which has 27 and 40 mile options. 

• Would agree with previous post from Ben D. My first ultra was the Compton 40m and thought it to be an excellent intro to ultra's. Also Northants 35 was fun? and suitable for a first ultra. Most of the Coastal Trail Series now include an ultra, i ran the CTS Exmoor race and it was quite tough and expensive!

Also ran my first 100m, North Downs Way which was fantastic and want to do more 100's, addicted! They (Centurion Running) also had a 50m North Downs way run.

I love ultra's, you get to see the same faces and no one really cares about "times" and all that stuff, people are chilled , friendly and recognise the effort needed from every one taking part. Ive done my time (25yrs) on the road and now trail/ultra running has opened a new door for me and i love it!!! I hope you will also.

Enjoy!
  • agree with how far

also did NDW 100

100's seem to be addictive

city marathons - done one done them all

• thanks guys, am going to look at the rosedale rumble, I'm glad to hear times aren't important, the yorkshireman 15 miler took me 2hrs 40 minutes last year (as opposed to my 1hr 57 sheffield half), I'm not obsessed by times at all but am a little concerned I am just not fast enough to take part in something like this, I enjoyed sheffield don't get me wrong, but I just love being in the hills, I love being away from it all and seeing parts of our beautiful country most people never bother to see, I love the solitariness of being in the middle of nowhere and love the challenge of a bit of an adventure!, we do go wild camping so I am at ease with 'roughing it', just not sure I have the stamina for these sorts of distances and don't want to make a fool of myself!
  • Veggieboy hope you enjoyed the NDW100, i certainly did. Any plans for your next 100?
  • Rach72

A lot of people on this site did nothing longer than a half marathon before their first ultra (me included).  That is honestly not an issue for a person who genuinely wants to do an ultra. 

Speed is about as much use as a spare set of eyebrows, in an ultra.  Only the elite ultra runners, conduct the race at the speed at which you would run at in a city marathon.  My (only) half marathon time before my first ultra was 1.54.  Absolutely everybody is slower in trail races than road events. 

Ultras are thinking races.  They take place in spectacular locations, require map reading skills, and getting good times depends mainly on pacing tactics. 

This might just be your scene.

• Doing Thames Path 100 next March, and possibly also The Oner in April
  • GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭
    +1 for what we're all saying about speed / times image

I did my first marathon in Palma Oct'10 having only run a HM previously, then did:

The London Ultra 50k, (Feb'11)
    The Cardiff Ultra 50-Miles (May '11)
    Thunder Run 24 - 12 laps - 120k (July '11)
    ULTRArace Peaks (August '11)

Loved them all...

Next year, I'm hoping to do the Al Andaulus Ultimate Trail - 260km over 5 days in Spain!
  • Hi Rach

I'm doing Keilder 27 miles (Northumberland) on 9th October, so still enough time to get in a couple of weeks of longer runs if you fancy it. It's off road on the track around the lake. Short ups and downs and stunning screnery (as long as the weather is half decent).

This is my first long distance (haven't even done a half marathon!) but am so looking forward to it. Have never fancied a city based marathon. 

• Keilder looks fab, but maybe just a little too soon for me (still nursing this b'std hamstring) I am hoping I can convince my physio that I can tackle these distances before the end of the year, I'm seriously contemplating Rosedale as there are a few options depending on my fitness and want to plan for next year, I am very grateful for all your suggestions though, and the encouragement!
  • how far wrote (see)

I love ultra's, you get to see the same faces and no one really cares about "times" and all that stuff, people are chilled , friendly and recognise the effort needed from every one taking part. Ive done my time (25yrs) on the road and now trail/ultra running has opened a new door for me and i love it!!! I hope you will also.

Enjoy!
    this is really nice to read , i agree that 10ks draw the masses and it becomes a sea of faces and no comeraderie..HMs slightly better but again its massive crowds. running London marathon holds no appeal to me whatsoever..my first HM was actually a XC/trail and the scenery was beautiful..canals, fields, hills, ...i think ultras are the way for me tooimage
  • Hi all,

I've been brave and entered my first ultra next year (Woldsman 2010 next April - 50 miles in a time limit of 24 hours)

Im very nervous but know i have left myself plenty of time to train! Any hints or tips that make ultra running different from normal running?

Thanks 

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    Good stuff Hollie... the main difference, in my opinion, is keeping yourself going and looking after yourself for longer than normal. Basically stay on top of how much you drink and make sure you eat sufficiently during the event. Practice eating on long training runs so you know what works best for you. Common things to see people eating are Malt loaf, flap jack, rice pudding, crisps, bananas, snack bars. Some other things that I know people use who struggle to eat during events include slim fast shakes and baby formula.
  • Thanks!

Think my next step is to invest in some sort of rucksack as at the moment i am doing my long runs with just a water bottle and a gel for company! Cant see me fitting in maltloaf and crisps in the bum pocket of my shorts!

Just a quick one though - do you guys change tops or socks at any time?

• Hi everyone!

Just thought Id say hi! Im a (slow) road-marathon runner aiming to get into more trail/mountain and ultra stuff! (Some of you may have seen my 'what next?' thread)

So, 2011....

Im doing the Brooks Hell Up North race tomorrow  - very excited!! I havent done it before but it sounds really fun! GNR next week and then Dublin Marathon in October!

With regard to getting off the roads a bit Im thinking of the Rosdale Rumble in November. I might just do the 13 miles just to see how I get on with the hills + navigation.

Chevin chase to finish the year! The Brownlee brothers sometimes do it so I can do some celeb spotting!  image

2012 plan....

Liversedge HM in feb sounds nice. 

Im in the Ballot for VLM.... If I didnt get a place then Id love to do Barcelona (if funds would allow....)

Then maybe northants as my frist ultra in May?? I keep seeing good reports about it!

Anyway, thats the plan! Im based in Yorkshire if anyone has any other off-road stuff theyd recommend!

HollieB - Ive got the Salomon XA 20 Ladies Rucksack - I run in and out of work each day with it (3 miles each way). I absolutely love it! Its very comfortable. 20 sounds big but its really not - a few of the reviews on Wiggle were from ladies who used it in Ultras and were very happy with it.

• Thanks KarenK will do some investigating!

• Well I stopped prevaricating and have paid and entered for Comrades 2012. Then immediately thought OMG what have I done!! Too late now - a couple of marathons to get out the way this year then after New Year lots more training!
    Good luck to anyone else signing up for their first ultra - lots of really interesting ones mentioned to consider for my second one!! Was thinking about Druids this year but think that will have to be next year - looks fun though.

• yikes,,,Jeremy, id love to do comrades but im certainly not upto that level ..maybe another year but id love to hear how yours goes, i do sneak onto the comrades thread sometimes just to get some of idea of what goes on before during and after!! druids interests me too...but again , thats a possibility for next year along with JW
  • Any experiences of Thames Trott 50, beginning of Feb? Oxford to Henley.

Very temping and would be my first ultra. 50m seems an awful long way though image

• Jeremy - Im very jealous!! Comrades is certainly high on my list (travel costs and the inability to run 56 miles currently prohibitive!!) I dont fancy a 'down' year so 2014 here I come image
  • NiceIronDad

I ran the Thames Trot this year. 

It is a very picturesque event and very well organized, with superior marshaling.  It sells out well before the event, and has a good social atmosphere.  The cut off times are not strictly enforced. 

It is a flat course, but it carries a sting in the tail.  Being in February, it is totally dependant on the weather.  If it rains heavily the day before, then the ground turns into an energy sapping morass.  One year it snowed heavily before the race.  If the weather is warm, then the ground is hard.  It is essentially a roulette type event.  You don't know exactly what you will get. 

This year I ran it with a lady who had never done anything longer than a 20 mile race.  I had to drop her at the 40 mile mark, but she finished well within the cut off times. 

Why not go for it?

• Karen I don't know if I can run 56 miles but there's only one way to find out! Hopefully in 5 weeks I will get my sub 3:15 marathon at Amsterdam (so I will be officially good!) and that is has been the end goal for marathons so next is ultra. I am sure you will get there, sounds like it has caught your imagination as much as it did me - I have been thinking about it for the last 2 years but have been patient and building up my running base. + somehow have sold the idea that it will be the family holiday for the year!!
  • NiceIronDad

Agree with Ben about Thames Trot as I did it this year as well

If its dry then its a very fast race and navigation is simple

The aid station cake is a thing of legend and the best you will ever get

• Thanks both re TT. Probably will. If there's cake on offer, seems crazy not to...
  • NiceIronDad wrote (see)

Any experiences of Thames Trott 50, beginning of Feb? Oxford to Henley.

Very temping and would be my first ultra. 50m seems an awful long way though image

where are you based Niceirondad..?..im few miles outside Oxford and have been looking at the Thames trot also..i kept a close eye on the thread from this feb just gone. yes the weather would be a gamble but being on towpath navgation would be easy...i havnt done an ultra either so itd be my first if i picked it to do....and yes....the cakeimagenom nom, that alone would keep little me goingimage
  • Jeremy - Sub 3.15?! In my case I'll be counting sub-4 as officially good! Maybe next year.....Oh! Is 3.15 BQ for your age group? I thinks mines 3.40... Ive already told the other half if I ever make it then Im definitely going to Boston! He's happily agreed safe in the knowledge its unlikely to happen!!! 

Just back from Brooks Hellrunner - Hell Up North! image It was honestly the most fun Ive ever had at a race!! Finishing by going through the 'Bog of Doom' was hilarious. Ive never been so dirty in all my life! I specifically used an old pair of trainers and theyve gone straight in the bin - not gonna even try to salvage them! Im waiting for the water to heat up so I can go for a long shower - I smell alarmingly bad..... image It doesnt count as ultra but it was definitely an adventure!! image

• sounds fab Karen, ive heard the hellrunners are fun - and mucky!!!image

• out of interest...do any of you guys have run partners? im really struggling to find anyone to train with (apart from the army guys hereimage) who  is willing to go over 12 miles or so....long runs get very lonely...i dont need someone to run with EVERY time but ocassionally would be nice as it creeps up and longer...image...
  • Mucky doesnt begin to cover it..... I'll be finding bits of bog for weeks!!! image

Ive had a training partner for the past few months. We met in work and she was interested in doing a marathon. We did Edinburgh together and we've got Dublin in October. I never had a partner before her though. I found it very hard to find someone the same speed as me - Im quite slow but obviously have good endurance. Also, its got to be someone who you can spend a reasonable amount of time with!!

• i hve a friend who i run with, we started out together 2 years ago just doing a mile and thinking we were fabby for doing it and not collapsing lol...then i got a bit faster (not a lot mind) but i had the bug and found i just loved to run so went further , and further and further. my friend wont do more than 7 miles so its company sometimes but she doesnt want to run as often as i do. im willing to be up with the lark  and go!!....today i ran 13.2 and like you say , speed isnt the main thing for ultras etc its endurance....wish i could find someone to train with KKimage