Options

wannabe ultra runner?

Comments

• Options

OMG - that muck should come with a 'not water/soap soluable' warning! My towel looks like a mechanics rag from using it POST-shower!!!! image

Well if you want to come to W Yorks for your long runs you can come with me!! image

• Options
    Loulabell, If you join a lcoal a running club you might find some like minded people to run with. It certainly helps as the days become shorter and the weather more yukky!

• Options
    i know HF..getting to run club on a thursday eve is a prob too thoughimage...
  • Options
    i know KK...nearly every run i do in training right from when i started has been alone and dont get me wrong i do like the runs alone as well, im just thinking in advance of 18/20/22 mile runs...ive never worn an ipod to run as i just dont like it...i agree with you though, mental toughness is what gets you through sometimes and if you can do it alone you know at least you will do it when you have a run partner...i get through ok at the moimage
  • Options
    Loulabell......
    Surrey, so not far from Ox.
    Current Master Plan is Portsmouth Coastal Mara in December (Brrrr!), followed by an early "do-able" Ultra in 2012, then 48hrs to contemplate life and sanity and consider Oner.
    Did a 13k this am and felt crappy, 6 days after a Middle Distance tri, so currently wondering if golf might be a better option. I have a set of clubs under the bed. Really crap at golf, and at least with running you can always lie when someone asks you how far you've been.
    On the solo training thing - almost all mine is solo, and most is in the dark too - as I have to do most before work.
    I find it surreal and a kind of out-of-body experience in the Winter at 6am in fog, with the headtorch reflecting back mist and nothingness, and Comfortably Numb blasting out on the iPod.
    When I actually get around to either racing or running with someone else the company is great. Having said that I get so much work/home/kids stuff sorted out in my head on long runs, I'd prob go nuts if I had a running partner all the time image
    (well more nuts, obviously)
  • Options

I always train alone - anything up to 30 miles

I am also negotiating entry to The Oner with her indoors

I prefer running in the dark

I am also just a little bit "odd" according to most of my friends and family

• Options
    yes i agree on the headspace is nice time alone...for me i have a busy job(like most people!)...and i go home with the sound of people asking me questions in my head!!.....i love early morning runs and living  where i do there is lovely scenery especially in winter across the fieldsimage...and yes the cold blasts you awake!...my 'doable ' ultra will prob be JW, but thts september, may syke myseld up for thames trot...could be done i guess...finding female runners that go the longer distances seems harder than finding male long distance runners. image
  • Options
    i dont bother talking  running talk at work ...they think im nuts and cant get their heads around 6 miles running non stop never mind 20 or 30...image
  • Options

loulabell

I train alone, and like you I have never used an ipod.  I do try to plan my training runs to be as picturesque as possible, but I generally get lost in my own thoughts.  Somebody always adopts me at an ultra though!

I have losts of friends who run, but they don't want to do anything longer than a half marathon.  I assumed that when I did an ultra it might inspire them to try one.  In fact they just shrugged their shoulders and said "well we knew Ben was a bit odd anyway". 

A couple of them even want to beat me in a 10k or a half marathon, so that they can brag that they beat an ultra runner, as if beating me over that distance would be a significant accomplishment.  I have got a bit of a fan following though.  A couple of them have read Born to Run, and then want to know everything about my races!

• Options
    Ben Davies 15 wrote (see)

A couple of them even want to beat me in a 10k or a half marathon, so that they can brag that they beat an ultra runner, as if beating me over that distance would be a significant accomplishment.  I have got a bit of a fan following though.  A couple of them have read Born to Run, and then want to know everything about my races!

everything you have just said sounds very familiar!!image... to want to beat an ultra runner at 10k just goes to show how little some understand about the different disciplines involved in each type of runningimage..not their fault and nothing id take offence at but sometimes i feel people dont even realise how FAR 10K IS! never mind 13miles or 30 milesimage....funny you should mention 'born to run' thats what im halfway through at the mo, have to admit it is very inspiring..wish i was AnnTrason !!
  • Options
    I do club runs and races but train on my own. Recently have ditched the iPod too as part of mental toughness regime. Funnily enough have found it has helped my gait as I am more aware of footfall noise if you see what I mean.
    I seems to be most of us are mental! I get that from friends and family too but in my world I'm the sane one!
    Niceirondad I'll see you at Portsmouth, was going to use it as qualifier for comrades but it is not IAAF certified so had to slot in Amsterdam. So Portsmouth will be just a fun run and an excuse to pig out a bit at Christmas!
    On another note it is irritating gfa for vlm is 3:15 for men up to 60 now but for my age Boston is 3:20. Not that I have a great desire to do London again - I just want to be good! image
  • Options
    Morning all Duracells, lovely morning hereimage...JG, the ipod issue is a bit or an argument between myself and some others i know who 'cant' run without it, even for the shortest distancesimage the reason i have never used one is the same reason as yours, it puts me off pace, rhythm etc. i like to hear my footfall and breathing, its by that i know if im doing the right pace for a certain distance!...besides,i like to hear the sounds around me on early morning runs, and the peace and tranquility of being out at that timeimage......i even know someone who wont enter races if ipods are banned.......image....
  • Options
    "Ipods banned in races..."
    ....hardly ever race with one. Spoils the experience in my view - can't talk to anyone. My only recent exception was trying to PB my HM time, when I took it with me, and just put it on for the last 30 mins when it started hurtin' bad. Crap iPod clearly, as I missed the PB by 2 mins - although in fairness PB was 10 years earlier image
    Veggie - we've compared notes in the TT forum on Oner - I now have the pink spoke avatar.
    JG - good to know! I'll be mentally in ultra mode, so look out for the guy with a camelback on practising looking knackered image
  • Options

NiceIrondad

Got you now - see you did Fleet HM last year - that was my first every HM about 25 years ago - do the Gurkha's still run it in full kit?

• Options
    Didn't see any gurkha's, but this guy was snapping at my heels for a few miles.
    Very impressive!
    http://www.ukgear.com/Pages/Inspiration/People/257-Capt-Barry-Stoddart,-RAPTC.html

• Options

Hi, folks, well, my "ultra trainig" is going backwards- I've got all the gear, -nice little rucksack, percy pigs to eat, new shoes,

Unfortunately, all motivation has flown, it seems like weeks since I did a couple of decent length runs (max 3 1/2 hours), I had a bad GSR half, as I can't run at any spped now, and I'm doing a marathon in 2 weeks for which I don't fell ready. If/ when I finish that, I have 5 weeks to get ready for the 33 miler in Nov.

HELP!

• Options
    hi tricia, dont panic, all will be fine and take deep breaths...heres a little suggestion that may help..im reading a book on training for ultras and have just finished 'born to run'..i am quite a self motivated person but i found this read truly inspiring...everything i love about running and why was highlighted in this book, the freedom, the scenery, the people involved and those you meet during running and events....if you havnt read it , try it...imageit may just spark you again..
  • Options
    So you gonna run barefoot Loulabell image ? It is a very good read and inspiring. A couple of the people in the book i have seen in races on YouTube. Interesting how you build an image up of someone in a book and then see what they actually look like.

Loulabell is right, have a read Tricia and you will be putting on those trainers im sure image

• Options
    Can I join the thread please?   I am already thinking of doing an ultra and Ive not even done my first marathon yet.
  • Options

spen71

Plenty of people have gone from half marathon straight to ultra. 

• Options
    Thanks Ben.   Done a couple of halfs and got a marathon in a few weeks.  Already thinking ahead now.
  • Options

hi spen71, ive only done one HM so far  another next week, but im wanting to go straight to ultras, as of new year thats where my focus will be...

howfar, yes i had pics in my head of all the ultra runners in that book, then i googled images and jurek and the Tarahumra were not quite as i imagned..i havnt found a pic of Caballo yet though!

• Options

Thanks for the hellos.  What is a good beginners ultra then?  A 50k?

• Options
    yes spen , 30miles thereabouts and preferably flat!! lol...i just did a 10k multi terrain event this morning, was really enjoyable. had quite steep ascent/descent in places so i practised the sideways skipping/hopping/sliding technique as described in the ultra books for coming down rough hills...it works!! no quad pain and its faster!! i overtook runners and stayed ahead afterwards!...also the 'light foot ' approach for upwards ascent on your toes, i am a heavy heel striker and i really made myself run on tiptoes up the hill, that was fab too. again , i passed runners...image woohoooo!!
  • Options
    having just mentioned caballo there is a thread on him-he is in UK doing talks in a few cities!! i cant get there, would love to have heard him talk and see him for realimage
  • Options
    So what do reckon is a good flat 50k to aim for then?  I am not very good at searching.
  • Options
    JW ultra is 30mile and along a tow path , so flat. depends when are you looking to do an ultra?