Riots...

1141516171820»

Comments

• As an aside, anyone else get the feeling that the media are deeply disappointed that it all finished so soon?  Any chance they get to show a bit of riot footage, they take.  You can almost imagine a director getting off on the footage yet wishing they had fresh material to watch.
  • The whole "deserving" issue goes back though to this inflated sense of personal entitlement that was mentioned several times before.  "Because I'm worth it"... etc.

Well, I think I'm worth at least an Audi, but that doesn't mean I can afford one and if I want one I would have to save for one and make sacrifices elsewhere.

I agree with MO's "beggars can't be chosers".  If you think you deserve to have everything you see other people have, whether it be cars, designer clothing or iPhones etc... then bloody well work for it and EARN it.  And if you can't afford to have it then bloody well go without... it won't kill you.  And if you think it's ok to knick it, then I think it's ok if you get banged up for it.  image

• I wonder if it would be possible to ban advertising?
  • Even if you banned advertising, you'll always be confronted with all sorts of things you might like to have... anything from the big houses you might drive past, the new car on your neighbour's drive way, you're mate's new Blackberry or your work colleagues fantastic hair or whatever...  Do you really think banning advertising would really make such a difference?  image
  • Can we close this thread riots have stopped . Let's get back to running !
  • Advertising is much more subtle and powerful than just showing you something that you might want to own. It deliberately creates an association with owning something or looking a certain way or 'being cool' etc with being happy, successful, sexy etc.

Advertising works on everyone even if you think it doesn't affect you. You are exposed to these messages 20, 50 or 100+ times a day, every day.

And its not just actual adverts. TV programs, films magazines are all selling you this lifestyle that you absolutely have to have to be happy but can just never quite obtain.

EDIT: sorry, all this is probably stateing the obvious, but I think people underestimate how much adverts affect us. Burn your TV!

• The only trouble MadameO is that some generic drugs don't work as well, I know several people with epilepsy who had their first seizures for years after being switched to generic drugs.

Wot Nam said at the top of the page, there's too much feeling of entitlement.  That's really what annoys me about some of the suggestions to "fix" the problem - it wants to set up a society where you never have to face any situation where there's people better off than you be it in terms of possessions, a job., or whatever. To me that's not getting to the route of it, which is that too many people now think they're entitled to haveanything anyone else has regardless of effort, and if they don't get it then they can set fire to things/steal. There's always going to be some situation that pisses you off, so you need to develop a moral compass to deal with it without resorting to what we saw last week.

I'd imagine advertising had a pretty significant effect, otherwise why would companies spend hundreds of millions if not billions on it?  Unless it's mainly about switching from one "brand" to another?

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

I have a problem with advertising when it creates unrealistic expectations.  For example, Lynx is supposed to make you some sort of babe magnet according to the advertising.  I thought it was supposed to stop you from smelling...

Likewise the current Sky advert on the radio which claims that Sky believe in better.  Well, obviously they don't or they would be better, but they create this illusion that if you buy their package then you will be better off.

I also hate false advertising.  Recently there was a car advert that claimed that you were saving money because their car used less fuel and therefore saved on petrol and tax, when actually you would still be spending more money because you were buying a car!

And don't start me on L'Oreal.  'Because I'm worth it'?  Sorry, I'm worth better than that. (and I'm willing to earn it).

• image Yippee got notifications back so able to find the thread will read back when able

Johnny Blaze wrote (see)

Cake, if they feel disempowered or whatever is the buzz word these days, they can always march on parliament in peaceful protest.

Or, heaven forfend, go to the polling station and vote.

Looting Foot Locker is kidding no-one on what their real motives are.

Cake wrote (see)
    Saffy sweety pea wrote (see)

There's been' them and us' of some description for centuries. This has got nothing to do with cuts and don't kid yourself that it wouldn't have happened under a Labour government.

Get the army in and give the idiots something to really complain about.

While I have no doults that this would still be an issue under a labour government. I lot of the rioters last year in London in the student protests wasn't the uni students but kids younger than them with no future and no job.

The rioting tonight is opportunistic as apposed to political by people who feel they have nothing to lose by getting banged up and will nether be able to get a mortgage, job etc... There is more than one course or reason for whats happening and there is no simplified version of whats happening but until we can work out who people do these things in a recession it will just happen again.

I.e. if people have no jobs, no education and no future they won't give a toss if they get nicked and won't care who they hurt. Would be a lot simpier to sort out if they were political matey. The riots the other week wasn't caused by one issue but a lot of different things in different area's. Promise will read back soon and talk useral carp.

• MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭
    XFR Bear wrote (see)

The only trouble MadameO is that some generic drugs don't work as well, I know several people with epilepsy who had their first seizures for years after being switched to generic drugs.

Bear, I accept that there are cases where generics are deemed 'bioequivalent', but the subtle differences they have with the innovator/branded drug are enough to have a negative impact on the patient - in those cases I agree that patients should be prescribed their original drug without question.

My gripe is more about the ones where the drug is absolutely identical. When I worked at the surgery I was sick to death of parents whining because they'd been prescribed a generic paracetamol suspension instead of Calpol.... ok, so Calpol tastes slightly better, but it does exactly the same thing and medicine isn't supposed to be a treat! They'd also clog up appointments so that they could have free prescriptions for over-the-counter drugs that cost as little as 15p to buy - now, I appreciate that some people are seriously hard up, but if someone can afford to smoke, drink and wear gold jewellery they can afford 15p for analgesics. These same people would be the ones calling up shouting about having to wait for an appointment... there's just no basic understanding that in order for a system like that to work, everyone has to do their bit by not taking the piss. Much like the benefits system...

Sorry, went off on a rant there!

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

I used to insist on Brufen when the generic drugs first came out, as at the time it was the only ibuprofen that was sugar coated.  I've always had a problem swallowing tablets (to the extent that I had to come off the pill because it made me retch so much) so anything that made it easier for me was a bonus.

But that was a long time ago and I was on strong ones that I needed to get from the GP anyway.  I wouldn't get a GP appointment just for that!