SUB 15Min 5KM

I have posted on other threads,

I have recently recovered from major head surgery this year and wanted to resume my running, I have been training for around 2 months and the last 6 weeks I have done nothing but bed rest..

So,

I am going for a SUB 15 minute 5KM for the track season next year..I ran a 5KM race 4 years ago in 2008 in 17:01 and haven't ran since this year, I have been running roughly 15 miles a week just doing steady runs every few days.

achievable?

I can use the XC season starting October too..

Has anyone any tips or training plans as I cant seem to find anything half decent.

Any inspiration greatly appreciated

Comments

• How old are you and how long had you been training before the 17:01?
  • I am 22 now.

I had been training for about 1-2 years coming from basically nothing to some solid sessions.

I mainly ran 1500 and 800 and stepped up to 5KM once I did XC season in 2008

• What 1500 and 800 times did you run?

There won't be a specific training plan for sub 15 like there are for sub 4 marathons, sub 40 10ks etc.  You're just going to have to learn the basics on how to train and adapt sessions for your fitness, either that or find a coach.

Edit: In fact pick a popular running coach, buy/borrow his book and there should be good training plans in there.  I think Jack Daniels is a safe bet.

• jack Daniels? What book would you suggest?

I ran a 4:21 1500 and 2:08 800m when I was 17 in 2007,

ran XC over the end of that summer over to 2008 and ran one 5KM race in 17:01 ran 1 10KM race in 36:37 on road and then was in a nasty accident in March that year and then had two major operations since then and not ran since this year around April time.. my operation was 23rd June which i was out of action for a solid month

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Daniels Running Formula

Daniels

this gives you an idea what paces to run for each workout. Link below 1st table for some additional reading. But i throughly recommmend the book

• I will look for the book thank you

I don't quite understand vdot and the table ?

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    I've updated the link for a 15:00 5km So for that you would need a mile time (race) you would need to run 4:21
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Afternoon, just.

Early days, and as such I would be getting a lot of background work in for the next few months. This would include cross country. I would then re-assess where you are around Christmas. Don't rush things: as much as anything you need to be injury-free.
    Do you train with your club at all?  
    Do you do any gym work/circuit training/weights?
    And don't neglect stretching to help injury proof yourself.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • I don't have a club at the moment.

I am member of a gym and haven't been since my op etc though

I know several core exercises and wont to do more stretching as my flexibility is fairly poor

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Are you going to re-join your old club or are you looking for a new one? I personally think that running with a club is one of the best moves you can make.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • I was with aldershot but I never trained with them just raced for them.

I am looking to join totton road runners in Southampton where I now live to get out and about more
  • May I enquire as to why your target is 15 mins when none of the info above ie weekly training or previous results get even close

Should you not first set yourself a sensible target of breaking 17 mins after coming back from illness and do some proper training over a period of time

Set your targets too high then this leads to disappointment and frustration, set sensible targets which you may achieve quickly then reassess and move forward

Running is about the effort you put in, this usually helps you achieve your targets

Only 150 people have run faster than 15 mins in the UK this year across all age groups!! and I bet you they are training min 6 days a week, min 50/60 miles with a structured training schedule and have done for some years!!

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Long term won't you need an oufit that has a strong track team?
  • Quite possibly but I have set a target for 1 year time (look above) at the time I ran 17:01 and I was rapidly improving I feel this is achievable after several ex training partners have fairly impressive times over 5KM and 10KM and are even younger than me.

I have seen threads of people running sub 16 on 3-4 training sessions a week..

I will need a structured program I understand and I don't see this is impossible
  • yes I am looking to run aldershot 2nd claim again, they have a few good runners I think image
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Aldershot have more than a few good runners! And coaches.
  • ;)

So is anyone running a reasonable 5Km atm or sub 20?

or has a decent idea of what i could get started with?

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

If I could give any advice, if you are serious about running sub 15, then you really need to go somewhere like Aldershot where they have guys who regularly run that sort of pace with coaches  and people to tranin with -  I had a quick look at the Totton website and they do not appear to have anyone close to the sort of times you need to run -  

Good luck with it though -  

• MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

Firstly, if I were you I'd look at initiating legal proceedings for the major head surgery!

In all seriousness your goal is unrealistic in that time frame.  Furthermore, your best chance to run a sub 15 5k eventually is to train for 8/1500m over the next year or so.  It's imperative you address the short distance capability given your age and ambition.  Your first port of call should be achieving the sort of mile time that one would expect of a sub 15k guy.  You'll almost certainly need to go sub-4 for the 1500m, which in turn will probably demand an 800 time of about 2:02.  To do that you're going to need to be able to run the 400m in 57 secs or quicker.  You see where this is going........

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

I'm with Moraghan on this one! Plus a good base that can include cross country/weights or circuits/flexibility work. Injury proofing comes first!

I would not, though, say that the time frame is unrealistic...but unlikely! It is hard to judge your present fitness, and even harder to judge how quickly you will make progress.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Agree with others that some benchmarking is needed. Once you have that you can set shorter term progress goals.

I have run 16.16 for 5km but as pointed out by Moraghan you need good short speed to go faster than that which is something I lack.
  • Moraghan I agree with You he Scott appears to be unrealistic in his initial targets

At 19 you should have been able to run 15 mins if you were good enough and trained properly then

Just because you want to now run under 15 mins doesn't make it easy!!

Aldershot is a fantastic club with alot of runners running fast times  but starting from scratch again with a patchy history of mediocre times doesn't mean you can wave a magic wand and run sub 15 in 12 months I hope you prove me wrong and good luck but I can see many frustrating months ahead when you are not achieving exactly what you set out to do and getting yourself confused!!

I have run 16.04 this year as a 46 year old  I train 6 days a week to achieve this and I ran sub 15 as a 19 year old along with a 3.51 1500m, 1.53 800m and 8.19 3k so I do have some idea what it takes

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Nice running Rob and you help to prove my point more

As a kid I ran a 4.37 mile and only managed a 16.37 5km

No raw speed
  • Go back to Aldershot even if you can only train with them once a week, or find a nearer alternative who can offer the same. Forget the local road running outfit (sorry totton trotters). Develop a multi-year plan, getting in a good xc season and running well in the southern and national xc would be a good start. If you are on target you could shoot for making their 12-stage team next April but seriously you won't do it in a year and if you try you'll just get injured. Your stamina sounds a bit off, I ran similar track times as a schoolboy and did 16.17 in my first season (track 5000s tend to be faster than road 5ks though, mind).
  • IR - in my mind there are a two of ways to go about it.

i) Get fast enough over 1500m that the 72s / lap becomes maintainable as it's a lower proportion of VO2max.
    ii) Build up enough aerobic power and speed endurance to be able to run at a very high proportion of VO2max for 15 minutes.

As a 30 year old with a relatively short running history (I only started out as a jogger in my mid 20s) and poor base speed (struggle to run much under 60s for 400m), I trained for the second option, hence my 1500m time earlier in June was 4:10, which is very weak compared to the 14:59 5km in August last year.

Had I started at your age, I'd have been more inclined to go for the first option.  I know several people who train under Mick Woods at AFD and favour a very intense training programme with relatively low mileage.  I'd add to the consensus of talking to those in the know in Aldershot.

To give you an idea of the workload I needed to break 15, I averaged in excess of 80mpw for the 8 weeks beforehand, would usually run a track session (6km of effort) on Tuesday, a tempo run on Thursday and a further threshold effort (often 5km parkrun) on Saturday.  Inbetween I'd run every day, usually twice per day and kept up a long run of 15-17 miles.  There are certainly easier ways of going about it!  To highlight the level of endurance I'd built, I was able to run an evenly paced marathon in 2hr28 6 weeks after that sub 15min race off similar training.

• Bej - do you know anymore about the details of the intense programme these guys run? I remember seeing on the 1500m thread that guys there did 3 track sessions and lowish mileage but steamed out 15 min 5km and sub 32 10km. Be interested in the different methodology.

• I'm loving the support lol but thank you for the serious and actual replies..

I trained maybe 3 times a week at most when I ran those times and I had been training for only about a year..

Friends I trained with then, run a quick 14:30 5KM and I seen them break 31 for 10KM too.. I used to always beat them and always had more talent.. They only picked up their training with AFD and at st.marys college for the last 2 years and improved from roughly 4:30 1500 to sub 3:55s

• ALD - have a read through this for some insight.  To fill in some blanks, recoveries tend to be short and at a decent intensity... an AFD runner who's started uni in SW London and recently turned up at our group was tripping over himself when we were casually jogging a recovery - he was used to stuggling to keep up before starting the next rep.

IR - I think the target is achieveable but don't kid yourself into thinking it's easy becaused some friends can do it.  To put it in perspective, you need to be comfortably capable of running under 34mins for a 10km tempo run, and probably sub 32 (more like 31 flat with good endurance) in a race.  It took me several years to get down there - 18:38, 15:34, 15:24, 15:11, 14:59...  you'll need to do more than 3 runs per week to get there.