Not The Ridgeway in summer

Comments

• I have actually had root canal without anaesthetic ... and it was on a live tooth as well, I cannot begin to describe the pain

I am looking at locations and I wonder if Henley ish may be a good place to try?  Maidenhead for somewhere different ...  open to suggestions for this one within reason (and travelling!!)
  • Ouchy meldy :0(
  • Cycling on the Ridge is fun.... though tiring, as it's not flat ( as in smooth ) Try to avoid leaving your vehicle in an official ridgeway car park as it screams " this car will be unattended for the next few hours... "

There are a few nice hills to play with, and some sections are narrow footpath near Goring, so you'll have to walk those bits ( detour via the shops/pub if you so wish ) There's a great bit of technical single track down ( from the Ridge ) to the Village/Hamlet of Ginge, then 100mtrs of road, and back up a bit of singletrack to make it a challenge.  

Do try + visit the Court Hill centre, they have great cakes + hot drinks though check opening times first. they also have somewhere to water your horse.... or park a cycle for an hour or 2.And beds if taking longer.

Make sure your brakes work well,( eg really stop you, no point having "squeeze+hope", you can get up to 40mph in places......) fit good, fat, grippy knobbly tyres. Plenty of drink, as it can be a tad exposed in the sun+wind , basic tools+spares, and have a ball up there.

I can't make it, though I know a few who have run the whole length....

• wiggrun wrote (see)

Village/Hamlet of Ginge,

Is that in Milton Keynes? image

• If this ride combines Meldy with looking for the Ridgeway, I take it mountain bikes won't actually be needed? I haven't got one anymore but I'm sure I could 'borrow' one from one of the teens if Meldy is really serious about finding the elusive Ridgeway!
  • Think wiggrun has just given us a great plan cos it involves cake! 

Although me getting up to 40mph on a mtb isn't going to happen I can assure you.

• There was a plan there? I only saw the word cake image
  • 'Cake' and 'The Ridegway'

What a perfect day   image
  • OMG we have to go to Ginge. It's like the mother ship calling.
  • Nah, I think we should go to Wing near Amersham/MK and have a group photo taken image
  • I think we obviously need to go from Ginge to Wing and very very quickly   image
  • Ginge is near Hagbourne .... we could leave Holly there    image
  • Just Holly?image
  • Well ... unless we find a ducking stool for you, yes !!
  • *still sitting in the corner sniggering*
  • I wouldnt snigger quite so much if I were you, I am sure we are not far from Pratts Bottom

• I ran past a sign for there today and sniggered. There is also a Locks Bottom around here too.
  • I used to giggle at Piddle Hinton and the River Piddle when I was a kid image
  • I still do...
  • I giggled at the service stations in Germany that wished us a Gute Fahrt as we left them. image
  • I've seen a pub called the Cockwell Inn.
  • Those interested so far:

Ditchy
    Flyaway
    HC
    Holly
    Melds
    Schmunks
    Barley
  • OK .. plan so far

Meet at Cowleaze Woods car park which is just off Junc 6 of the M40

We can then cycle along The Ridgeway or The Icknield Way (whichever favours cyclists) and go to Wallingford or Goring as time allows for a spot of lunch by the river and come back up to the car park

Cowleaze Carpark directions

alternative directions!

Looks a bit tricky to find by all accounts but if you look south of Junc 6 on a map there is also a car park at Aston Rowant nature reserve so as long as we are all there or thereabouts it should work !

• Jj wrote (see)
    I giggled at the service stations in Germany that wished us a Gute Fahrt as we left them. image

I did indicate to my co-pilot that "Gute Farhrt" was NOT an instruction!image image  image

Would I be allowed to come & play or is it for southerners only?? It's been a while (well 7 weeks) since I last had a good play on "The Beast"!! image

• Are we into full MTB territory or is it hybrid-able?
  • FeFe - what size frame would you be looking at? I may be able to lend you an MTB
  • FeFe - what size frame would you be looking at? I may be able to lend you an MTB