M Dot tattoo when done Outlaw

Comments

• no comment!  

just for you Dan image

• JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

I have to be honest, I didn't realise the difference between an Iron distant event and an IronMan event until quite recently. As such only people 'in the know' may know/care. Respect is due regardless of who organises the event you participate in.

One of the main differences is the cost and the goody bags isn't it?! Perhaps if I'd paid £800 to put myself through all that I would demand an M dot tattoo as part of the experience!

I'm planning on doing Outlaw next year and have got rather carried away with the tattoo thing and had already decided that I didn't want the M Dot because I think it's quite blocky and doesn't really appeal. Then I realised it wasn't an M Dot event and rather liked the idea of an Outlaw logo.

However, having seen that picture a couple of pages back of the swim'/bike/run emblems and the 140.6, that appeals. I did think about getting 70.3 or 77 (my race number - and birth year) tattoo'd, but having done it, I'm over it and don't really feel the need now.

But back to an iron distance... it's going to be painful enough getting through the event. Do I want to go through even more pain afterwards???!

Also, husband says no image

• Someone at my bike club does temporary glitter tattoos.  I'm planning to get an Outlaw template for a glitter version that I can take off/put on when ever I want.  Cheating I know!  image image

edit - small matter of finishing the thing first though.  I'm getting a bit carried away planning celebrations when the training hasn't even started yet!

• I have had my bike tattoo'd image
  • Oh no, I have not had bike tattoo'd on me (but that is an idea image).  I have had the bike herself tattoo'd.  She looks purty (but not as purty as I actually expected image)
  • a guy came into my studio and wanted his name done in the font i used in my shop window - it would look cool as an OUTLAW name font with the logo - its the Mad eD name

https://picasaweb.google.com/105083096821172892368/FewTats?authkey=Gv1sRgCKfH9sqqr8ykbg#

hope it works

• JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Do we have to work out which body part the Carpe Diem is written on...?!?! I haven't a clue!

• Glad I'm not the only one trying to work out the carpe diem one...i thought they were upside down for a whileimageimage
  • no disrespect DK as you have to do them, and I guess it's the customer's choice at the end of the day, but why do so many people have what I would call "ugly" tats? there are only a few on that selection that I think look good - most are downright ugly imho. and sorry to say but the Mad Ed one is the ugliest of all!!
  • As someone said way back in the thread, it's your skin!!

But for those say that it is a brand representation, if you look at this all too familiar font it makes you wonder!

Oh look, it's even in Lanza colours!!

http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/iron-man/17-1.jpg

• that would take some work I reckon. you going for it Smiffy?? image
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    I think the Carpe Diem one is a tramp stamp. Person is leaning forward.
  • your correct JJ

the comic book pic is a very easy tattoo to do - no colour fades - just nice neat lining needed to look good.

@FB re the customers choice - tell me about it - i begrudge doing the vast majority of that stuff i do. tribal is my number one hate followed closely by cover ups. i refuse to do tribal in summer as its too boring and im busy and cover ups... well, what can i say, dont get a name tattooed or a tattoo from a  home tattooist. i get people in asking for cover ups and the conversation goes something like :

them: how much to cover this up mate?

me: 80 quid

them: i only paid £20 for the tattoo

me: thats why you need it covering

the Mad ed  was something very different - thats why i like it, lost count of how many old english or script font tattoos i have done.  

the best advice i can give to anyone is check peoples work before you get a tattoo, dont go to home tattooists - they rarely have the £3000 for a vaccuum autoclave for sterilisation or a duty of care contract for clincal waste, dont go to a tattooist that does under age kids, if they need to break the law for their trade what else are they doing - or not doing, in some cases. and lastly get original artwork done, flash off the walls is fine for ideas but make it personal, most of my customers are amazed when i draw designs straight on to them, most of the time it flows better too.

• yes   red ink can be a pain - a few years ago one brand got took off the market due high concentrations of heavy metal or carcenogens - i cant remember the exact reason. i use Millenium MoMs ink and eternal Ink but i dont use eternals reds because a fair few people have reactions to that brands red - or did have in the past, my policy is - why risk it. moms red inks are nice so i stay with what works

• fat buddha wrote (see)
    that would take some work I reckon. you going for it Smiffy?? image

Hell no, I am more than happy with my Norseman one image was just making the point that an M. is really quite an insignificant brand symbol outside of the rather small group(relatively) of people who are involved with tri. More people would think of the comic/film etc if you asked them about Ironman. Would be a good family fortunes question...

We asked 100 people what an Ironman was they said

1 A superhero
    2 A metrosexual male without creased clothes
    3 Slang for a gay man
    4 A triathon race taking place over 2.4 miles of swimming, 112 miles of cycling and 26.2 miles of running and popular with groups 2 and 3 above.

Smiffffff, do you have a photo of the Norseman one?         Who did the artwork for it?
  • KK   it may have been the red ink or it might just have been the tattooist banging it in too hard.  if you have any other tattoos - did this one hurt more that usual? when tattooers repeatedly go over the same area it can chew the skin up and you end up with a very scabby tattoo, it you get it wet and/or knock the scab off the colour comes with it.

from the photo it looks like the M isnt symetrical - the legs of the M look they are different sizes if you know what i mean, was it a trainee ?

• " yes it is symmetrical"

Aherm{cough} the lower part of the left inner side is longer than the right inner side.

• I dunno why you need a tattoo, its not like youre ever going to forget, and besides which if you did get alzheimer's youll only wonder why youve got a symbol of a metrosexual male without creased clothes on your leg/[insert location].
  • personally ... i like my tat
  • I considered having another tat but then I thought I regret having my others done so whats the point.

But its your body PiT do what you want.

• I toyed with having a tatt for each long distance race because I feel quite protective towards the non-MDot brands.  You know - why should Ironman get all the glory? Then I thought perhaps I could incorporate the Challenge logo into the M Dot one - the Challenge logo is circular so could be the dot of the MDot. Quite how we fit in Outlaw after next year...

Of course we're only having them to show off to other people that  know what it's all about. 

• artful - the challenge logo would work as the dot but the dot would need to be about 10mm so that in a few years when the ink spreads a bit the white part would still be legible as the logo.  and the outlaw logo ....... dont think of mixing it in - too many times people want too many things in one tattoo, it looks too busy.

if you want to get multiple logos / races or whatever, my advice would be to get them done in the same area but have a background tying them together to make a sleeve or leg piece