M Dot tattoo when done Outlaw

Comments

• I have one of the Olympic rings, because I jumped into a sandpit once and that's the same as the Olympics, right?

[get whatever you like, PiT, nobody minds.  There are people out there claiming to have 'done ironman' when they've completed a 70.3 branded race which is really taking the p!ss.]

• "if you want to get multiple logos / races or whatever, my advice would be to get them done in the same area but have a background tying them together to make a sleeve or leg piece"

you need to check Rosey's calf tat - a large M-dot with the flags of the various country races he's done added as small circles around it. probably the best around that captures both the race and the journeys he's done with it.

DK - quick question - white is not a good colour in a tat I believe as it bleeds out quickly so it disappears?
  • ah yes I like Rosey's tattoo image
  • FB white normally discolours, i have a Lunar Jim tattoo (dont ask) that i use for testing out white ink, i have never found one that looks good as a block colour after any length of time. white is ok for black and grey tats or just to use as a highlight in small quantities.
  • ta for that KB - it's why my IMCH tat is "reversed" out so rather than have a white cross inside a red surround, I had a red cross put inside a black outline M and the dot is solid red. it's a representation of the Swiss flag at the end of the day and I still like it - will pop you a picture sometime
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    don't forget Rosey's tramp stamp - special one for his Kona exploits. image
  • Good advice, DK, thanks. I'm an ink virgin so all advice is good.  Don't worry - the Outlaw one might just have to be seperate.  Got to do the thing first.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    WildWill.... wrote (see)

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/6333/Gallery/IM-TAT_0.jpg

Which part of your body is that??

That viking looks pigeon-toed.....

• Wilkie wrote (see)
    WildWill.... wrote (see)

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/6333/Gallery/IM-TAT_0.jpg

Which part of your body is that??

That viking looks pigeon-toed.....

It's just the way I walk image
  • LOVING the Norseman one, Smiffy!

• Ditto Henny!

Doner, you're obviously the man to ask.....if I ever get round to getting a tattoo (not necessarily MDot related....got to make it to the end of one first image ), what should I be asking the tattoist in terms of equipment he uses etc (i.e. are you hygenic or will i die or some hideous infection, type question).  Other than liking their work, I often think there should be things i'm checking, but i'm not sure what....

Thank-you in advance! image

• Quality Smiffy, quality

• Lee the Pea - dont ever never ever - never at all ask a tattooist " are you clean?"  i have been asked that a couple of times and its a very valid question but im so fastidious about procedure it always comes across to me as an insult, but i know the public are clueless and more people should be better informed and I shouldnt take it personally.

Re: what to look for?    its really hard to be honest but here goes: if theres ink anywhere eg finger prints, spots on the floor, round the autoclave, - thats not good - where theres ink theres blood and normally risk of cross contamination (CC).

if the clip cord isnt sheathed in plastic tubing (the power cord to the tattoo machine)  thats bad too - CC from the last person that he tattooed.

i put a bag round my machine, some people dont but imo its a CC risk, they cost pence - so why risk it.

the area thats used for tattooing should ONLY be used for tattooing - no food or fags - hand to mouth CC

if you dont see the tip for the grip or needles being opened  walk away, i always open them in front of the client.

all waste should go in a yellow clincal waste sack - they should have a Duty of Care paper dated every 3 months and kept for 3 years iirc to prove they are responsible for their waste.

you can check with council to see all registered tattooists - just because a studio is registered doesnt mean that all the people in it are, this may very from local authority.

dont get a tattoo from a seaside town or while you are on holiday unless you REALLY know the studio

dont get a tattoo from somewhere that does underage kids - even with the parents there - its illegal, it has been for a long time - tattooing of minors act 1969

: ) dont get a tattoo from your mate that bought their machine and kit from ebay for £100 - even if they do it for free. to give you an idea a set of Millenium 4oz inks costs £675 +vat,set of eternal inks is about the same,vaccuum autoclave £2000 - 3000, and just to show off a little I use small batch(mormally one off or upto 5 off) machines hand made by Seth Ciferri cost from about 450 USD - by the time i paid all the stuff on top your looking at near £450! each. i also use Mickey Sharpz these go for about 150 squid each

if you are inside London or in Scotland  they have stricter bylaws - all of which should be law all over UK, its not a legal requirement to have an autoclave ffs.

there must be loads of other stuff i take for granted - just cant think - OW session tonight must have froze my head

always happy to help promote good tattooing

one of my fav machines

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/606362/Gallery/miami-5.jpg

• Blue frosted donuts with red sprinkles and pink handcuffs?
  • Thanks for the comprehensive reply DK!!! Fear not, I would never ask if a place is 'clean'; as you say it would sound like an insult, and they'd probably just say yes! It is really helpful to know what to look for though, so thanks a lot for all that info. I've copied and pasted into a doc I can save image I live in Scotland, so good to know we've decent bylaws, though why they don't have the same thing everywhere is a bit mad, eh?!

Those machines look mental. Glad to see you've bought the donuts to match; ever the artist eh?! image hehehe

Cheers!

• the pic of the machine was from seth ciferris site    i can take no credit
  • Mwah ha ha ha ha ha. I like the second one, hahahaha
  • All I can think about are iced donuts now, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • So LtP is getting a tattoo of an iced donut, each to their own ....image
  • This is a really good thread. I'm very tempted, actually. Maybe when I go sub-10. image
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Ami James can use his needle on me anywhere, anytime...
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    image Did that come out my head? image
  • My tat is my avatar ( or the other around) not sure lol, I only have 5 flags so far as I did them all in one go at a tattooist in Warrington that was recommended, I then spent a few weeks talking to them first, the reason I haven't got the other 6 done is that some counties are repeated so I need something original to either double them up or just ignore them and the guy who did mine had left now and it's difficult to fi d someone to repeat good work if you don't know the industry

The Kona one was a great story, I knew I wanted something different but wasn't sure but I bumped into the designer of the Kona '09 logo in Hawaii and we had a chat about the significance to the island and the race and I decided that's what I wanted. I visited the place that was recommended over and over again for a local artist as I also wanted the Hawaii logo to be done in Kona

Went to visit the artist the day after the race and she had already had e stencil made for a woman who had been in 4 times to go over the tattoo and they had agreed between them only to do it once and she was the lucky lady, however, she DNF'd so she had decided against it, and did i want the tattoo, fate or a bullshit story, i dont care, it was the tattoo i wanted.

Sorted, booked in 3 days later, part of a cooling off period, 2.5 hours and a fair few dollars lighter. I think she was more proud of it at the time than i was, mainly cos it was hard for me to see image

http://photos.imageevent.com/ironrose/konahawaii2009/IMG_03451.jpg