M Dot tattoo when done Outlaw

Comments

• Interesting thread, got me thinking about the reasons why people get tattooed and asking myself why I never have.  There's been a huge increase in the number of people with tattoos.  Twenty or thirty years ago it was a little bit out there along with piercing, today it's a bit ordinary to be honest.  It seems most tattoos are fairly generic and most do it because it's what you do.  It seems it's taken over from smoking behind the bike sheds in order to fit in.

What if say IM decides to rebrand and call itself something else or changes the format and the logo in order to keep a distance between it and the non branded events or whatever.  What would the logo mean then?  I'm surprised that hasn't come up already.

• jelly bean wrote (see)

What if say IM decides to rebrand and call itself something else or changes the format and the logo in order to keep a distance between it and the non branded events or whatever.  What would the logo mean then?  I'm surprised that hasn't come up already.

but that could apply to many tattoos - you have the name of your partner branded into your skin, you break up, and you're left with a name etched onto you that you may not wish to have.

so if WTC changes the M-dot logo - same thing applies - you make a decision to keep it or remove it.

having a tattoo is a conscious decision and you should be happy having whatever tat done for whatever reason and be happy that it's going to be with you for a very long time.

I have an M-dot and 1 other tattoo - done purely for my personal reasons.  I'm happy to stick with them until I pop my clogs

• I think that's right FB, some do regret their choice at a later date for whatever reason.  Why do you think so many more people have tattoos now though than once did?  Is it just fashion?  Why does having a tattoo make people happy?  Does it make them happy?

I wonder how many tattoos have any real meaning for the owner and how many are purely decorative or as I said just done because that's what you.

I don't have anything against tattoos in fact I think some are facinating but it's very few.  I think if you're going to do it make it worth while, as DK mentioned what's the pioint of having something off the peg.

There is probably no sporting event of duration or difficulty that would cause me to have a tattoo.  Why is that?  Perhaps they're not personal enough?

• This is such a personal thing which i know has been said 1000 times, i have a load of tatts all personally designed and all have meanings that are personal to me and done when something personally happened to me.

I don't really care what people think of these, if they think they're Cool, great. If not, no worries.

I had the MDot tatt added to an existing design i have covering my calf and had another design in the pipeline, whcih if i can get permission from the mrs (i'm 33 but yes i do need this!!!!) then this will be done to celebrate the birth of our first child.

By the way, did i say its a peronal thing?

• Cona. wrote (see)

By the way, did i say its a peronal thing?

no - you said it's a personal thing....  image

JB - why more people are choosing tats now I have no idea.  fashion is one thing I guess but also technology makes it easier and quicker these days so the prices have come down which probably makes it more attractive.  then there's the "follow me I'm a celeb with tats" culture I guess - Beckham, Angeline Jolie just to name a couple....

I'd wanted one for years and passing my 50th was my excuse to get one - still never told my Mum I'd had one!  she eventualy spotted it though.   since joined by personalised M-dot and considering a 3rd to balance matters up - back and each shoulder

• I surpose tattoos have migrated from those on the edge of society to those at the centre (celebs) so I suppose yes fashion and they don't have the permanence they once did I surpose and don't necessarily therefore need to have meaning to many.  I'm curious to know why people have tattoos where they them selves can't see them at least not easily.

• DK, you must have listened to a lot of peoples reasons for having a tattoo.  Any really interesting ones?

• TBH

• a lot of people have a shit tattoo done at the seaside/on holiday and regret it 
    • they have a name of a loved one, some split up, and want it covered
    • too many people come in and dont even know what they want and pick some shit off the boards
    • some want anything as long as its cheap

and very occasionally you get someone that knows what they want but cant visualise it or know what is possible, its then i get into things. 

As far as interesting reasons - not really, i dont want to sound bitter or hard but once you done a few memorial tattoos and imprints of kids feet or hands its just a part of the job. Most of them people are really nice but i dont dig for info as it sometimes upsets them.

if i never do another name in old english lettering, a piece of tribal thats too small for the person (because thats all they can afford - and will get it extended 'later'), a stupid cheryl cole style tattoo on the side of the hand or a quote that the person thinks is original - but sadfully isnt - it wont be a bad dayimage 

• Could you do this for me ... image

/members/images/658339/Gallery/IM_0.jpg

• Britrisky wrote (see)

Could you do this for me ... image

/members/images/658339/Gallery/IM_0.jpg

of course - i could even wrap the 'm' in tribal and make it so fecking small we could chuck it on the side of your hand - is £7 okimage

• for £7 I'll have two, can you do them  in different colours?image

I have had two done  over the years and am happy with them because I thought about it first. Can't imagine why anyone would permanently mark their skin whilst at the same time talking about getting it lasered offimage. I say carpe diem and live with it, as for the original question, get what you want for what it means to you, it's not that big of a deal in the scheme of things............

• I have read all of this thread and notice an abscence of pirate tattoos, surely there should be loads? Ironman/irondistance/triathlon its all great but pirates are for life not just for christmas.. ps am wanting a pirate tattoo ~!

• I am very tempted with something after outlaw this year. Possibly not Mdot but it would definitely include a pirate element

It wouldn't just be to signify completing an iron distance race but looking at the journey to get there.

It probably won't happen as I'd want a personal design but I'm crap at things like that

Nice idea though
  • Theres a few of us with the skull x bones, i got a ships wheel with the skull and x bones with a banner with "ship of fools" in its mouth, its outlined and a little bit of grey shading on it but nowhere near finished, its going to be a part of a pirate sleeve, pirates in general, not the club, i already had an anchor with water and some other bits just waiting for someone decent to do a pirate girl pin up so i can tie it all in.

• A few people have the skull & crossbones forming the 'dot' of the M dot which works well

• Colourin' has an awesome IM based tattoo and its on her FB page if you are one of her FB friends
  • perhaps we could brain storm at Outlaw with a marker pen.

DK , do many people give you carte blanch with a body part to get creative with a design/theme you've always wanted to explore?

• Be warned

DK designs are very good, when you finally get them!! nudge nudge there to get my final design finished

• Doner Kebab wrote (see)

just waiting for someone decent to do a pirate girl pin up so i can tie it all in.

Isn't Meldy the pirate pin up girl?

• I am doomed in my defence i am very bored at work
  • Sorry Q - im so busy at playing at being a triafleet that im nearly in the gym more than at work at the minute and work is getting even busier now the warmer weather is kind of here. will get onto it though. have made a sheet of different sized pirate, outlaw and m dot pics so itll be easier - just none of your thingy

and yep - meldy is the pin up but she threatened my with exessive force if she catches me peering through her windows

• I am flattered

Max is dead.

• Not entirely relevant but...

On hols one of the 'entertainment' team had some words up her arm which she said was a quote her mother used say through her childhood, they seemed a bit recognisable but I couldn't place why. She wandered off round the busy bar and looked a little upset when I quite loudly mentioned that I'd remembered they were lyrics from Love Action by Human League, not sure if she knew up to that point, oops image

• you should have used the motion blur tool as well - oh no, nevermind its a pirate - they never go that fastimage

• Blimey Meldy scrubs up well! but her saddles to low and that frame is Sh!t

Can i have my sentence reduced to a severe beating now please image