Paris Marathon 2012

Comments

• DV - latest is she should be arriving here about midnight, early hours.  Fantastic news, as not only will she be the first woman, word has it she may even break the record!

Edited to add well done on your mileage yesterday

• It'll be close for the record, depends on how much rest she wants now..  she can take up to 12 hours..   its very exciting for her...

• Running Rodent wrote (see)
     Paler, smaller and spottier...
    Sound like teenage goths.
  • OO - I seem to (mis)remember you saying that you wouldn't be running PM...oh welll.... prove me wrong, feel free!  Seems like I'm the non-runner on the thread at the moment. Haven't lifted a foot in anger since i ran that HM race last Monday. Good news is, my back is really feeling so much better. Might bring myself back to light duties in the next day or two.  Only 34 days to Berlin Marathon. Haven't run half of what I'd normally have done by now.

Lovely to see so many of the old crew bookmarked up to the new thread already.

Trying to bring myself into the world of the competent YouTwatterati but it's not easy. Looking out for you DV but I seem to be slipping and sliding all over my Tweet Deck and I don't know what to do. When do you set off for A_2_A?

Best wishes and all that. image

• I don't know what tweet deck is...    you need to find out how you 'follow' people..    then look for me   @arch_2_arc

or..  PM me your twitter name and I'll find you and send you a message and then you can follow me in return..

• I've got another month or so yet before I get to go...

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello all...am tempted to enter this for next year - will be my 2nd marathon (running 1st this october - Liverpool). Want to do a big international marathon - and sick of the VLM ballot system so am thinking of Paris as it is a beautiful city and I've heard good things about the marathon (my Dad ran it).

So - sell it to me.

I would take the family as it would be at the end of the easter hols, but would have to leave on the day of the marathon as the little one would have school the next day (assuming Easter in middle of hols). I'd be coming from Manchester so I guess flying is best, although would ideally prefer the train as greener etc.

What about accomodation -  Any recommendations? , I guess would need to book early. As stated would be with family, and none of us speak much French.

How easy is the application process and race organisation for non French?

It's either this, or run the new Greater Manchester as it is local, but obviously doesn't have the same va..va..voom as paris.

• Others will be along in a minute, I dare say, but for starters:

- application process is much simpler than London. When the website opens (some time in Sept) you fill in the application form and fork out your Euros. Entries stay open for several weeks, if not months, until places fill up. But one thing you have to be aware of is the medical certificate (compulsory for all sporting events in France). It's basically a one page form that says something like 'I know of no medical reason why this person shouldn't take part in sporting competitions', and it has to be signed and stamped by a doctor. Some might charge for this, others don't. You don't need to send it with your application, you can do later.
    - re accommodation - my personal preference is to be as near the start/finish area as possible, especially if you're doing a quick getaway, which I did last year. But you will pay for this. Consider an apartment rather than a hotel if you're with family - it might work out cheaper. I think someone recommended some last year.
    - Paris is great for atmosphere and good for supporters - there are several places they can see you from. And you'll have your name on your number so everyone will be shouting it as you go round.
    - and I haven't even mentioned the wine, cheese, camels, firemen, Eiffel Tower, and the start on the Champs Elysees!

ATM has all the information you will want to know, and much that you don't as well. If you hang around here, she'll appear!
  • What I meant to say was that your supporters will be able to move round the course and see you in several different places, not that you'll only be visible occasionally! Edit not working properly - boo to iPhone browser!
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

+1 for a room near the Arc.

There's no great problem getting round Paris on the metro, but we got a room just off L'etoile and it was brilliant.  Just a stroll to the start.    Most affordable Paris hotel rooms are tiny and lack soundproofing.

I'm not posting up the name till I've booked.

• We had an ace apartment on Victor Hugo this year, less than 400m from the start/finish.
    I can dig out the details if you are interested? image
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

* As if by magic...*

Manchester/Paris? Manchester?Paris?image

15West, if you message me through the forum, I'll send you some Notes..( roughly translates as 'I'll bury you in paper'...) 

And start saving....

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

image Mrs puffy nicked me socks image

Are you going to do the photos this year ATM?

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Well - money will come into it - I know paris is an expensive city so that is one drawback, whereas Manchester marathon would be much easier on the wallet and logistically....
  • I'll be Manchester-ing this year as it goes past my front door image
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    Oh I couldn't do that, I'd have to go in for a lie down.
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭
    image Unless anyone else fancies it, Mr. P, I'd like to...You've got 'til Xmas to scrub up nice and say ' cheese'.
  • Morning all!!

Welcome to the thread KWest - if you do go for Paris you will love it.  It has an atmosphere all of its own which is why many of us keep on going back year after year.  It is a little quirky with strange water stations cider, wine etc. near the end, bread, dried fruits, sausages etc.  It makes a nice little break - but can be a little expensive we went here last time I ran it http://www.concorde-lafayette.com/en/.  It had the advantage of being really close to the start line and a freebee eat as much as you like breakfast included - although for the actual race I took my own being paranoid.  I have also gone to Le Meridien which is directly opposite but the breakfasts were Euro20 each... so it is expensive.  The Etoile area is definitely the place to stay.  Metro was brilliant for my family who have followed me each time and seen me at several stages using the tracking system supplied by the organisers - which is identical to the VLM one giving your family ideas of where you are by sending them txt messages as you go over the timing mats. 

Mr Pimage nice to see you back Mr and John M too!  Gone sub-4 John too well done!!!

Still slightly recovering from a celebratory weekend after Ms NGUGs results finding out the nitty gritty now of logistics of getting her up to Warwick Uni with all her stuff by 2nd October and getting everything done in time not long to go.  Fi - what time does Ed start?  Realised the other day that I am going to be in a totally male dominated household from then onwards (save from holidays) chess and football - whose going to watch Desparate Housewives with me?  I'll have to go off and watch it somewhere on my ownimage  Ms NGUG told me that its "all about you isnt it" when I mentioned this LOL!

Speed work for me today legs aching slightly from hard session with PT on Saturday - spin plus lots of explosive jumping i.e. squat jumps whilst holding a fairly heavy bar..sure it must be doing some good .. image

• Yo Puffy! And Mrs. Puffy. image

15West - Paris is nice and all that but I don't think they'll understand a Manc' accent. Which is OK, just speak S-L-O-W-L-Y with your mouth really wide open and they'll get it in the end.

I'm just teasing. British people make up something like 15% of all the entrants in Paris. As long as you enjoy being outside of your cultural comfort zone and understand that it is an expensive city to visit, you'll be well prepared. Many people find this running tourism really gives an extra dimension to their enjoyment of the whole experience. And you probably won't feel as foreign as you would visiting Liverpool for example.

Paris is very accessible, there's so much to see and enjoy. And it's a doddle to get in to. Come on down!

I'm going wimmin' after work. Time to get the heart and lungs working again. Splish splash everyone

DV - I'm @TrickyDickyBE - I think I've signed up to follow but haven't seen any messages yet...

• TD..    I've sent you a message..  you should now be able to activate to follow me...?

• HOw exciting someone I know to follow on twitter - if only I knew howimage.

NGUG:  Ed off weekend of 24 sept.  Mr PF flying into city on the thursday, working in london then travel to thorpe bay.  Pack stuff up on friday, drive to norwich on the sat/sun.   Fly home to jersey on sundayimage.  Accommodation confirmed today - so at least he won't be sleeping in his car!!!!  All very exciting stuff.  Get Ms PF's GCSE results thursday (well 3 of them)!!!  Joy. Sounds like you are doing brilliantly on the running and training front - all in good preparation from Parisimage.

On the racing/running front intended to Wolverhampton but Mr PF using free flight for Uni trip.  So for my sins, I've gone and signed up for the Jersey Full Marathon on 2 October - should be interesting did just under 16 miles yesterday, will do 10 tomorrow, 4 recovery thursday and then 16 - 18 friday.  Legs feel fine today and am working on my hydration and fueling before, during and after running.  Now have porridge an hour and a half before long run, with hydration during them then recovery stuff after.  Oh and I obviously eat normally as well!!!  Will increase the long run a week friday to my first 20 then drop back to 16 - 18 then 20 then 16 - 18 then taper then the marathon!!!  Could be interesting this one!!!

• Yay! Another October marathonoid! What's the Jersey course like - I'm thinking hilly? Is that the one where there's also a team relay?

For those interested in cycling and reading (not at the same time - health and safety) this book is worth a read. I had it on the ipod at the weekend during my long run, and I had to stop at one point because I couldn't run, breathe and laugh at the same time. It's about a guy who decides to cycle the route of the Tour de France.

• ... and what is scary is that she made it look so easy....    image

Excellent news for her...     and less than one month for me..............

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Who is that Tartan?

Been busy at work so not much time to post lately. Welcome 15 West- take the plunge!

I'll probably enter Paris Tricky- it feels like my destiny....even though I shouldn't.

Ran a zippy 4*1 mile last night at the club, each under 6 mins. 10k race next Tuesday when I'm hoping to repeat my sub 38 exploits.

Young miss OO started buying things for Uni yestarday- bedding, stationary, even a plant- this is going to be expensive. In terms of Finances she will take a loan for the fees, we'll pay accomodation and give her a weekly allowance. When I went to Uni there were no fees and I got a grant for everything- hard to imagine now image.   

• I too remember the good old days of no fees and getting a grant...

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Wow! Well done, that woman! The video clips of her progress en route are fascinating. And she doesn't even look out of breath... An inspiration, DV.

Oh, OO and PF...the £££££ ahead... image  At least, up here, they don't pay fees image  I remember grants, too. * For those of you reading in colour, yes, we're that old.*

• Yes..  she made it all look very easy...  we are going to use little video clips too..  plus regular twitter updates...    no Lancaster bomber though......!

I'm excited...  and nervous...   and in awe of these amazing people...

• Morning all!!

Fi - LOL know what you mean I do have a twitter account but am only just beginning to understand it ..  We havent had any of our accommodation details through as yet re Warwick that apparently is coming through early September (probably because she starts a bit later than Ed).  Blimey sounds like a military exercise re Mr PF - I am sure it will all go smoothly he always seems v.organised!!  Good luck to Ms PF re her first GCSE results blimey they are all growing up arent they..  Good luck re Jersey Marathon keep us posted how you're doingimage

ATM/DV/00 - umm I remember grants blimey those were the days.. I actually got sponsorship from my dad's company too can't see that happening in this day and age.. 

OO - I agree this Uni business is going to be expensive...we get some towards her accommodation but really not much and her fees paid via her loan.. jeezz

DV - Rachel is something else - not long then DV you will be fine and what an achievement! 

Deadlifts and huge weights for me at the gym again today... r.good speed session yesterday so a bit achy today..

• NGUG/O&O:  must admit that I sent Ed back to UK with a boot full of goodies that I didn't want or would prefer to get new for me and he can trash/lose/destroy my old stuff!!!  Only thing left is bedding and as he already has this he certainly isn't getting new stuff to wreck!!!!  Doing something very similar to O&O, except that he also gets help with accommodation plus a weekly allowance.  All getting close.

Just off out for a 6 - 10 miler depending how I feel.

DV:  can't believe its under a month until you complete this amazing challenge.image

RR:  There is a long incline from mile 3 - 6, then another at mile 17 -19 but whichi is 2.5 miles long and basically undulating the whole way..  Well now it doesn't seem too bad, will probably not feel like that at mile 18 though.  Intention is to try and come in under 4hr 30mins as it is an "undulating" course, determined to not go off too quick - and as the 3 mile incline is at the start won't be able to even if I tried!!!!!