Paris Marathon 2012

Comments

•  

DLR - 22nd July is only ten days ago, get a grip man! I must have missed your achilles injury, but if it stiffens up after sitting or sleeping it's not necessarily a sign you shouldn't run, just that you need to warm up properly before starting, run carefully, and fully stretch then ice afterwards (note this is unqualified advice!). Aren't you on holiday though? Take the time to relax and recover!

TD: nice to have you back. You never answered my question (before your holiday - page 555) about running together - offer still stands. I'm not aiming for any particular goal at the moment, just running for enjoyment (and enjoying it!), so any pace/ distance is ok.

• TD - 6 weeks how time passes!! Loving the bike. I have never tried cleats so I have no idea what you are  all talking about??

Audrey - Sorry but at the moment there is no way I am going to be able to do Loch Nessimage My Back still gets really painful on the slightest incline and downhill is excruiatingly(sp??) painful. With it only being 8 weeks I can't see me being fit enough for it. Lots of other Orkney lasses going thou??

6 very slow miles for me this morning followed  by what seemed like endless stretches.

• Neil - I feel duly rebuked. Haven't gone to page 555 but the idea of running together sounds great. It seems I can run OK now but am a bit cautious about picking up the distances yet. I managed an hour and a half on my feet on soft ground 10 days ago so maybe we could build on that. In the background I have Berlin mara end of Sept so mileage will have to come soon. Am trying to get some extra leg muscles from the biking first! Have in-laws coming at the w/e so maybe not possible right away...

Hi Kaz. Cleats are a mechanical lock to attach your cycling shoes directly on to the pedals, so you can pull up (use hamstrings) as well as push down (using Quads). They are the more effective version of the old toe-clips or straps. But if you slow down and forget to unlock your foot, you just fall over. For more details, ask Eggy or Radar Sal....

DLR - Achilles tendon is the biggest in our body. It takes a lot of punishment. So when it is grumbling, best take heed. Maybe you need to retrench and review your current objectives. Take care buddy.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

DLR - the very best way to deal with that Achilles are eccentric heel raises - seem to work magic.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

image Well done, Mr. W.

* Cheer up, DLR. And as well as watching the cycling, I see   http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19050139  that I have the same physique as a couple of ( male) boxers and some ( female) hockey players...image *

• ATM - apparently I'm built like two swimmers and a (female) footballer. Individually, you understand, not in total.

You've got to love Mr W. Post race interview 'it's really special cycling though the streets of, er, wherever we are' image .
  • Bradley Wiggins!!

My hero.

(Apart from TD, of course!)
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

All mink coat and no speedos...

I suspect my LSR should be more than 8 miles, 4 weeks before a Half..image I think I need the ' mass plan ' support leading up to a mass-participation mara'...

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I love Wiggo - I hope he never gets media trained because he's perfect just the way he is....

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    yer_maj wrote (see)

Orbutt - you too will be impressive in week 7 image

I was image All 9 Intervals within the Interval range.

However, I'm not sure if I cheated. Should I continue running between Intervals or is it ok to pause and gasp for breath?

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I always have to walk the first 100 metres of my recovery while I have a drink!

And Yay You!!!*

*I told you so

• Great day for team GB. Really enjoying the Olympics - just watched USA women beating China 3-0 at volleyball. Impressive stuff.

Bought myself some cycling shoes and clip-in pedal on Sunday to cheer myself after the bike rack 'incident'. And I haven't fallen off yet... Eggy, as the resident cycling guru, should I try and adjust the cleats in any way, or is better just to set them in a neutral position?

Back running tonight after an 11 day break. Yahoo.

• I meant pedals. It's a bit easier with 2.....

• Morning all. Well done on your intervals Orbutt. It's certainly an achievement. Don't let up now. Keep on with the training intensity and the speed will become easier, more natural. You have to love the kind of pain it produces because that's how you realise your ambitions.

Good luck with those cleats Simon. Running Rodent. I tried that BBC BMI which athlete are you like thing on their website. I am most like a rower or a tennis player. Unfortunately for me, they were both women.

Must train harder and grow some better sideburns!
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Simon - I'd leave the cleats neutral to start off with. Once you start to get a feel for them you can always adjust them.

Orbutt - Well done on the intervals. It sounds like the TD plan is working well for you and yer_maj.

Great performances by Wiggins and Froome yesterday. Really wish I'd booked time off work just to sit back and watch the Olympics.

• To all you cyclists...I can't stress enough the importance of getting a proper bike fit.   This doesn't mean just getting a mate to look at the seat height etc...  there is a science behind it and a good bike fit will make a huge difference to your comfort and cycling abilities.

Retul is one of the market leaders, but there are probably others...  google it.

The fit will include looking at the position of the cleats etc...

• Morning all. Not a nice moherning here, really thick fog. So 15mile run abandoned in the interest of my safety!! Instead I did a  tempo run on the TM based  on HR not pace, hope this is ok. Anyway kept HR at between 80-85%(Is this high enough for tempo or should it have been 85%+??) for 50 mins with a 10 min wu and cd???  The heat inside made it bloody awful - I felt like I was running in a pool of my own sweat image ....... I really need to get a fan.

Day off today, then I  work 6am-1pm tomorrow then Holidays!!!!!imageimage

• Hey Kaz, so sorry I won't see you in Inverness - I was fair looking forward to a catch up.  I don't feel so confident just now as instead of running 5 times a week I split my time between my bike and running - so only run 3 times a week, but am on the bike the other 3, so we will see how I go.  Def see you next year though image

• Message not lost DV. I want to find out a little bit what hurts or gets uncomfortable after long/ hard rides, so that when I do a bike fit session, I have a bit of useful feedback to give them. I think all the science should be enhanced with what my nerve endings are telling me too.

Kaz - I would put a tempo run in the 90-91% HR area. For it to really count, it is the sort of pace that you can't run much beyond 40minutes at the same speed. When running on a treadmill, I can't bear it unless there is a fan pointing at me. I normally bring one from home but maybe that isn't so easy to do in a public gym (I use a work one so it is a little less rigid). Plus the UK is just insane when it comes to the application of "Health & Safety" dictates - no wires across the floor etc.

• Audrey- Sorry about that, I was really looking forward to the catch up too.I am sure you are doing fine and the Bike will be helping you lads more than you realise!!imageI aren't running as much either, every other day, but i am cycling or X training on the other days plus loads o brisk walks with my dog(about 8 miles a dayimage) and yoga, so i'll see how things progressimage I have spent too much time recovery from injuries this year so thought I'd cut back a bit?!?!?image

TD - Thanks. I did think I wasn't pushing hard enough as it was more the heat I was struggling with than breathing!! Next time I will push harder!! image

Fog is clearing and its imageimageimage whats the chances of it being nice weather for my hols?!

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Audrey, are you aiming for a Tri? I see there's a Try-a-Tri over your way in October ( 400 m+10k+5k) that sounds fun.

• Man it's boring being at work in August. How did people cope before the internet?

Quick 9km at lunchtime but I think I'm a bit under the weather, HR was too high and it felt a bit too hard. Maybe I need to rest and recover.

Has anyone heard from Marathon Maus recently? Just wondering how she got on with all the tests. Fingers crossed for her.

• I'm taking a few days off.  Stretching and doing lots of eccentric calf strengthening but achilles still not great.  Figure its not the end of the world if I don't run even until Sunday.

• Neil - I have been wondering about MM too?? Hope your feeling better soon.

DLR - Better to rest now. 11 weeks on Sunday! image

I am most definately counting my life away!!!image

• image I shall take your advice Doctor Kaz!

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

DLR - Kaz rest is very different from everyone elses rest. You better be up at 4am to take a horse for a walk!

Short run for me tonight. Managed to get my time down to 8 minute miles, which is the best I've managed since getting that muscular pain. The leg is starting to feel much better. I might be able to have a PB attempt on Sunday after all. Either that or I'll crash and burn.

• Egggy - I am somewhat concerned about my poor horse. I had him at the vet the night for a check-up cos he seems somewhat thin.He has lost 14kg since the end of March?? He now weighs the same as he did at his 1yr check up and he's 3and a halfimage Time to up his food and cut his walks.

Glad your leg is feeling better and good luck for Sunday.

• Kaz - hope your doggy is ok.

Did 10k tonight. Started strongly so kept it going and finished in 45 minutes, which is pretty fast for me for a training run.I think the 12 day rest has been good for me.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Simon - Great going on your 10k.

Kaz - Hope your dog is ok. Going on the photos I think that one could eat you out of house and home.