Paris Marathon 2012

Comments

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

I agree, O, it's more blue than red...but it's a bit 'washed out'. It's not the right colour for the Saltire .So, no, it doesn't really appeal.. I think the 'lack' of red is important. The men's Gymnastics stuff caught my eye...possibly because it's mainly white/red...

But I've seen loads of children wearing GB replica stuff...image

* Trying to get head round' Union Saltire' idea...*

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

https://d30dcznuokq8w8.cloudfront.net/works/r/bal/4/2/1/314124_full_570x705.jpg

Wiggo? * 'Been in Kelvingrove all day...*

• Running Rodent wrote (see)

RS - when NZ won their gold medals did you shout 'WE BEAT YOU' in anyone's earimage ?

I couldn't my voice was GONE! image

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

RS! I thought  you were all ' UK-citizen ' now?  * I love this 'nationalism-meltdown..'..image*

• Well done Jess. Just brilliant.
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Jess you little beauty!!!

• Mo Farah - you absolute legend!
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Awesome 10k - well done Mo!
  • Good jump ginger fella!! Let's try to be a bit inclusive huh....image
  • Jess - fantastic performance.

Rutherford - long jump classic.

Mo - amazing race, just amazing!

My note from earlier seems to be lost. Apologies if it turns up...

RS - girl, sorry to hear about LSR - don't you need a day off instead of a crazy bike ride?!

Helter, Orbutt, RS - cheers. The NHS is simply the most incredible system, mainly due to the vision of those who created and shaped and those who put their entire lives into it now to make it (via patient care) the best in the world. It's what we've got and it is the most incredible healthcare system anywhere.

Stay cool. All is well.

Iain
  • Carbing up for the marathon, checking my hydration, where are the nearest toilets, do I have all my kit? Blimey, you'd think I was running the thing.

Caught the end of Mo's race at the big screen at Canary Wharf. I don't know what it must have been like at the stadium but we were all on our feet yelling him round. Amazing atmosphere.
  • Hi all,

So the results are in. I have a brain!

The neurologist's diagnosis is a form of migraine (Basilar migraine for the medicos amongst you). I'm not 100% sure the diagnosis is definitive, but all the evidence is pointing that way and, by a process of deduction, once you've ruled out everything else that's what you're left with.

Beta blockers and anti-convulsants for 2 months followed by review.

I didn't realise that there were lots of things that I was just putting up with that I can now see as likely symptoms.

Now begins the fun of getting the medication right.

Thanks for your support - you're all very sweet. It's been quite stressful, but I just didn't realise how much I was worrying about it, not helped by high-maintenance but well-meaning loved ones...

Running has been a faithful companion but I still don't have a new goal, and I don't quite feel ready to commit to one. I've got the P&D book and 'The Lore of Running' to have a look at. But they're a bit daunting...
  • MM - great news that they have a diagnosis and medication can begin. Must be a huge relief for you. Take your time setting new goals - there's no hurry.

P.S. I also find P&D daunting - I'm struggling to keep up with easiest of their plans..
  • Thanks SM! Yes, it's a huge relief. I will just have to be patient with myself (never been one of my virtues). I'm sure the right thing will come along in due course.

Glad to know I'm not alone on the P&D.

I'm exercising vicariously today by watching the Olympics women's mara.

There seems to be a preponderance of neon yellow running shoes. Now I realise why I was so slow in Paris!image

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    MM - glad you have a diagnosis you can work with, and that it was nothing sinister.
  • That's a great way of thinking about Dannir!

Anybody with helpful tips or insights about the condition - I'd gratefully accept them. Googling these things is never a good idea.

• Freya Murray looking good in the pack passing Tower of London, Claire Hallisey a bit further back. Everyone, including me, very very wet image . Back again in another 7 miles or so .
  • MM- Glad you've gotten a diagnosis, and also that it's something that can be helped by medication. The hard bit as you say is getting it right. Take time and look after yourself. You will know when you are ready to set a new goal.

I am also amazed by the neon yellow trainers. I have neon yellow Nikes but they are not for running. image

This is the first Sunday I have cooked a roast for lunch- all so I can watch the marathon in the kitchen!!image
  • I'm amazed by the variety of running forms. Straneo is great to watch.

• Andiamo Italia! Go Mongolian woman whose name I couldn't read! And thanks to the woman in green who fired out a snot rocket as she went past! Crowd now steaming.
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

'Steaming'?  Steamin'? image ...You could be at home, RR.

That's great news, MM! It doesn't sound like fun but it must be a weight off your mind. Watch that those shoes don't bring on more headaches...They are bright, indeed. Maybe that's where we all went wrong in Paris. Flo' yellow's the way to go.

• RR: Keep up the fluids. You don't want to hit the wall now....Or are you off duty?

I don't think I could, at my absolute fastest, sprint for 50m as fast as these women are running. There's one of the Kenyans who has what looks like a very uncomfortable gait to me. Her knees seem to stay together with all her movement coming from her lower legs. They seem to pivot out and up diagonally. Hell, whatever works, I guess.

Thanks ATM! Interesting thing is that the headaches are not the most prominent feature of it. Who'd have thunk it? You can have a migraine when you don't really have a headache!image

• Septo is the runner I'm talking about. The commentators (including Rob de Castella) here have also just discussed it. Very interesting.

• Can't believe how fresh the leaders look. Third lap - they're heading for home.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

MM - Really glad to hear that your problem isn't serious. Take your time to set what ever goal you want to achieve.

My news, new half marathon PB set today in Helensburgh. Knocked over four minutes off my old PB. My new PB is 1:43:51, which is a big jump from my old one of 1:48:07 on the same course two years ago.

It's fair to say I didn't look fresh at any point in the race!

• Well done Eggy, that is a massive step up in performance...  image   I will await your interview with Gary Linekar later on BBC One.....

MM...   all good news...

I had a big chat with mrs dv today about how we are going to manage the logistics of my training between now and Paris 2013.   I've got two ultras this month (45 and 66 miles) and then I will make the changes to my running shoes and switch to the Hoka Bondi B and run without orthotics for the first time in six years.   The plan is to make the transition slowly and gently, combine with barefoot running on grass and in small stages, building to about 30 miles by the end of the year.   If I can do that without injury then I'll push back up towards 50 miles by the end of January and then back to back 50 miles by the end of February and continue this until April ready for the run to/from Paris for the marathon.

That's the plan...    we'll see if it works...!

To supplement the loss of run miles I'm going to get the bike back out and clock up some decent road miles.   If the weather is ok and we can find the time, we'll bike to Paris in September for a reccy of the run route.   Bike there, Eurostar home.

If I can handle the Paris run without orthotics and without injury, then I'll plan some interesting ultras for 2013...   but no decisions until after Paris.

Talking of Paris..    its almost time for to start a new thread..  Paris Marathon 2013.   Anyone want to do it...?   The last seven have been either myself, TD or ATM...   if anyone would like to continue the conversation by starting a new thread and turning out the lights on this one, then feel free to go ahead and do it...

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

OK, last orders at the bar, everybody....

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

New thread up.  Eggy's stonking performance this morning seemed like a high note for the end of this thread....

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Hey Maus - so glad to hear that you've got a brain, never doubted it for a minute image

I suffered from Migraines during my teenage years and the used to knock me for 6. The only thing that I could do was take industrial strength painkillers and try to sleep them off. I remember my Mum being horrified when the best that the doctor could offer was sleeping tablets.

I'm not sure if it has been proven but there was always the suggestion of triggers, like chocolate, cheese, orange and caffeine but even avoiding them totally I still got them occaisionally. I used to get shimmering patches in my field of vision prior to an attack.

My sister in law still gets them and painkillers have progressed considerably over the years but she has found that reducing her caffeine intake has helped. Coffee, tea and fizzy drinks - she hasn't cut them out totally, just a reduction.