Paris Marathon 2012

Comments

• Bloomin nora OO speedy or what... well doneimage

Feeling a bit of a failure myself hilly intervals did not go well again today despite me cutting back the length of some of them.  Feeling slightly sick think I must be taking them too fast (well...fast for me...) should be

5km (0%) 1km (4%) 2km (6%) 3km (3%)

Find I do the 5km circa 11/11.5kmph to keep it steady 1km at 10kmph the rest just takes forever.  Might have to go for DVs intervals instead..

• Michele completed the swim in the early hours and is now on the bike..   the latest tweet said she had done 40 miles and the first McDs...

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Hill reps are awful NGUG but very valuable. I sometime do a couple at the end of a run rather than a heavy session which gets a bit boring.

Cane 10th overall Tricky from 272 but only 5th from my club- So I don't even make the bench...image

• 10th overall is definitely something - how did you place in your age class, more importantly?!

Sports doc tells me my back is in good shape and a bit more rest and osteopath treatment, I'll be fine. But my calf muscle looks like it has torn badly - I now have a really big bruise all over the lower leg - so I have to have a CT scan and an avoidance of running exercise - I don't get to see him again for 2 weeks.

Grrrrr. Might have to call trumps and listen to my own body about the running. I think the muscle is already healing well. Running up stairs at work feels quite ok. Anyway, healing over short term performance is still the main driver, I just don't want to get mashed trying to run a marathon with a 6 week taper period.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

You are having a bad patch Tricky- partly the accident but also a reaction to the heavy training schedule at fast pace. I used to run at lunch time in France- I'd go out and blast it for 4-5 miles with little warm up. Now I think that's what caused my injury-  just a thought.  You've obviously got to a higher level, just need a training regime that doesn't keep getting you injured.

6 of the top 10 last night were Vets- here in the North-East hard bitten old male runners are the traditional running type- so I fit in nicely!

• O&O:  excellent time - you sly young dog youimage

TD:  am finger wagging - rest your leg, a tear however small is a tear and needs to heelimage, just look after those legs of yours.

Well yesterday did a speedy 3 miles first thing - in 23mins 3secs.  then did 6 miles in evening first 3 up hill at 9m/m then turned round and ran 3 mile down hill at avg pace of 7.20mm

• ATM - no, I'm sure DV isn't supposed to advertise for sponsorship, so it's lucky he didn't mention you can text ARCH99 £amount to 70070 to donate to the Dame Kelly Holmes Legacy Trust on his behalf...image

TD - as a fellow sufferer of dodgy calves you have my sympathy. Can you get yourself some ultrasound? I found that helped the healing to speed up a bit.

O&O - that's a pretty impressive time - I hope you're basking in glory! And PF - sounds like you're going to be well prepared for Jersey.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Never had calf problems- bout the only problem I haven't had. How you going then RR?
  • TD & ATM - thank you for the support - very much appreciated!  I can just about remember when running 5 minutes on my c25k training plan felt unachievable so yes, I guess I've come a long way.  TD I'm giving some thought to what's actually going on here in response to your questions before I post so I don't clutter up the thread with my moans...more a concentrated moan thing...

OO - image that's a stonking time

• yer_maj Let no one accuse us on this thread of being deeply reflective, well thought out, highly articulate in our formulations.... oh no.... just musings and ramblings as we go along. Spit it out girl.

PF, OO, RR - not sure I've ever had a calf problem before apart from occasional tightness after hard training (that's completely normal IMO). I think in my particular situation, my bike accident has been a major interrupter in a high mileage schedule, meaning I've been training really inconsistently, but when I have trained, it's often been with hard effort. But because I have got my fitness high, what might be hard on my body, doesn't feel at all hard in my mind.

I think that's what you were alluding to OO at any rate. And I suspect you are right. Need to be a bit more cautious ramping back up when I have had flat spots in the training - even though I thought I was being cautious - 3 easy days on the trot - ah well, I suppose wisdom doesn't come for free.

RR - the physio suggestion is a good one. Although I went swimming this morning and will try to get out for a long bike ride tonight (first one since my accident!), I really would prefer to be on my feet as quick as possible. It's only 24 days to the marathon and in the last 18 days I've only run 35kms. So anything which can accelerate the healing has to be worth it. Thanks!

• For some reason the last bit of my post from yesterday has disappeared into the ether that is the interwebimage.  What I was going to say was, not very interesting, but did run up "waterworks valley" the 3 mile hill from mile 3 - 6 of the marathon.  Was not as bad as I imagined, probably due to the fact that most of jersey is "undulating" to say the least.  Oh and then obviously I ran back down.  Am doing railway walk run from St Aubin up towards Corbiere light house, not much further than 4 miles and will easyish as doing my 20 miler tomorrow.  Should be an interesting one as starting at waterworks valley and basically doing the marathon route bar the first 3 and last 3 miles. 

TD:  you have such a high ftness level you won't take you long to be back up to full motoring speed.  Just be careful (only out of concern) that you don't do too much too soon particularly with a calf tear.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Blimey princess you are pushing it...

• All my posts are cogent and well thought out honest image

Feels like a rest day today as I got my recovery run put of the way this morning. Going to do my second parkrun on saturday - was v impressed with first one.

@pf - you seem to have moved your training up a level since Paris....
  • Hi all - anyone know when registration for next year's race opens?

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

image 16 slow, bramble-fuelled, miles. With walking. And a 10 minute break for a coffee and a pancake...I'm on track for about 7 hours in Venice. Just as well the scenery's lovely....

• ATM, you've got style and that's worth more than time or money! image

Well, I'm feeling pretty chuffed. Did a marathon length, hilly bike ride last night. Through the area where I had my accident 10 weeks ago. Got a little monkey off my back. Pushed hard, was quite tired at the end.  Nice hard swim this morning, 1200 metres in 30 minutes, HR nice and high, not because I'm fast but because I'm really only learning how to do crawl properly.

RR - virtual kiss in the post for you - XX - went to the physio this morning, she had a good feel around and concluded no obvious damage, lumps, knots, bleeding in the muscle. Gave me a bit of treatment, told me I was ok to run gently but cautiously - 'stop if any pain'. Well I gave her an actual kiss or two!

So, this lunchtime, the work running club had a memorial race for one of its members who was killed 8 years ago, riding their bike to work. So I've done a 2.5k race - in which I ran really really slowly and didn't compete - so I've clocked up 7 easy kms this lunchtime and I'm not feeling pain in my calf muscle or back. And it's sunny. Oh yes, I'm a happy bunnee.

• The man can run, bike and swim...     hmmm.....   image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Great news Tricky- you'll go even faster without that monkey.

Well done ATM- impressive distance.

• TD - and a big virtual kiss right back atcha! But I accept no liability if your leg falls off in Berlin.

Today marks the day when my 2011 mileage exceeded my total mileage for 2010. That'll be the difference between training for two marathons in a year, and training for none.

I like the sound of stopping for a coffee and a pancake midrun. That's treating distance with the respect it deserves image
  • ATM:  oh what a lovely thing to do coffee and pancakes mid long run - stunning idea.  Go girl how long until Venice?

TD:  mmm  are you tri training as well as marathon training?  Sounds like you are on the ment.

Well ended up doing 19 miles in exactly 3 hours in 26 degreee heat!!!  Boy was it hot and it all started out so lovely running up waterworks valley past tranquil reservoirs and through leafy lanes and wooded glades.  the toughest bit was the 2 mile down hill stretch from Les Quennavais to St Aubin reached the 19 miles and thought "too hot and have another long one next sunday so will do 20-21 then!!!!" Could have run on which was a good feeling but it would not have been pretty and really couldn't see the pointimage.  Have now got 2 days rest from running - but may well go out on my bike today/tomorrow.  Heaviest mileage for the week for a long time, 56 miles, only 40ish to be done next week and then a gentle taper startsimage.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Sounds like you are in a good place Fi- isn't that a great feeling.

I have another race tomorrow, tough 10 miler with a big hill. I may pay a price for my mid week race but I'd like to be in the 63 min. region....

• O&O:  course you be fabulous as alwaysimage.

Funnily enough again found mile 16 - 17 hard!!  Next sunday is a tough one as will be doing the full last two legs of the relay after at mile 13, for the last 7 - 8 miles, they are really tough as long and up hill then dramatic drop down hill for 2 miles to the flat run round bay to end - which may sound good but it really takes it out of the legs, particularly the downhill bit, so that is what I need to practise!!!!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I like hills  image
  • Good luck with the race oo. What I can tell you is a brisk 18k on a Friday night does not make for a happy parkrun on a Saturday morning.

Was slower than last week by a reasonable margin. image

Good work on beating your 2010 mileage already rr your next three months are 'profit' then.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

'morning, chums. All this talk of training is making me nervous. * And rightly so...it's 7 weeks to Venice, PF and, more pressingly, about an hour 'til the Glasgow 10k.you sound very well-prepared for your race.It'll be fun...*

Well done, RR, on that mileage image

Good luck, OO!

It's good to see the injury bench nice and empty .

Back, later. Err, much later...but with a Tunnock's Caramel Wafer, I hope.The only real reason to race, eh, helterskelter?

• Good morning...  in a couple of weeks, I will start the A2A..  there is now a live forum up and you can participate and leave messages of support (or abuse!) at..:

live forum... Duncan Philips

There will also be a live GPS tracker so you can follow my progress at..:

live GPS tracker

You follow live twitter feeds at   @arch_2_arc  and we will also have some video clips that will go on youtube..  the links will be added to the forum and twitter..

Please feel free to go and leave a message whenever you like.   Positive messages and thoughts will be much appreciated.

• Here's a pic of me yesterday..   it was a hard swim, but I like this photo...

/members/images/98627/Gallery/image5.jpg

• Wow, that's come round quick, DV!
    I'll be glued to the tracker, following your progress when your turn starts image

No running for me today, did the Manchester 100 bike ride instead. Bearing in mind I haven't got anywhere near that distance on the bike since the last 100 I did in 2008, I'm actually really pleased to be nearly two hours faster this time (ride time of 6.38). A nice little confidence builder to take into IM training image
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good run run out in the Tynedale 10 miler today. 61:40 on an undulating course. I even got a prize, for 1st mens team (3rd home for my club).

No way I could cycle that far Frodo- well done.