Paris Marathon 2012

Comments

• TD - You call and only 2 days later here I am.

Two bits of news from me:

1) I've pretty much ruled out Paris for next year image

2) We've got a dog image

• Are points 1 and 2 in any way connected Rob? Has the dog chewed off both your legs my man?! It doesn't sound so good for you. But more importantly, what breed of dog is it?

Blockbusting stats there DV.....

I managed to add a 22km run to my Un-Taper this morning, in pouring rain. Was quite nice. 85km for in the last week, not feeling any downsides. Will see if I can do a 20 miler over the weekend and then start to think about being a proper taperer.

NGUG - you're rehab has been going along smoothly (and a little quietly I might add). Are you putting any more events ahead of you to aim for? Will you be in Paris 2012 for example?

Talking of people who've had serious outages, has anyone heard anything from FizzioFinn of late?

• http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/297283_2164821013005_1621036250_2171781_7581396_n.jpg

Here is the gentleman in question (2 weeks ago - he's twice the size now), a blue roan Cocker Spaniel who goes by the name of Jasper.

• As for me, its all achilles related.

I've twice tried to start running again but quite quickly get a recurrence.  Been and got some orthotics made and the podiatrist expects me to be able to run normally in what will now be 4-6 weeks with the orthotics and some new exercises and stretches.

It definitely is getting better but it is so slow.  At the moment I'm doing 7-8 hours of cardio work a week at the gym plus achilles exercises, some core work and light weights so the injury weight gain is slowly receding but I'm not running yet, beyond accompanying eldest daughter on the 'couch to 5k' programme.

To do Paris I'd have to start training early Decemer and have had 4-6 weeks at 45 miles ish a week by then.  To try and suddenly jump to that mileage would be a big risk.  I could go for a lower mileage plan but as I'd be going on my Jack Jones next year I'd only want the expense of going if it was to chase a good time.

So, I'm not going to rush back into running, carry on with cardio work in the gym and let it really heal well.  If I find in a few weeks the recovery is complete and I ramp up quickly with no problems I may re-consider but at present it looks unlikely.

• Jasper looks adorable, LR image

Sorry to hear of your ongoing achilles issues - hope the recovery continues well image  

• Achilles..  ouch...  image

I had a nice suprise today...  I received a letter from Dame Kelly Holmes wishing me luck in the A2A next week etc... and she sent me a signed copy of her book..  how very thoughtful..

That dog has piercing eyes...  looks a bit scary..........

• Do you all eat lots of jelly beans...?    I love them...

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Nice plan Tricky- that's exactly what I'd do.

Love the beans DV but I stick to gels for racing. Don't you find they go all soggy in the sea image

LR those achilles are buggers. Always take ages to get over, but keeping up your general fitness is a good plan.

12 for me y/day. Track today and 16 2moro should give me 40 for the week.

• Rob:  he is gorgeous - will a good companion to do trial runs with once old enoughimage

Speedy stuff for me yesterday on treadie, 800 warm up, then 400m at 7.30m/m, with 200m recovery - at 9.20m/m 12 times (Killer by the end) then 800m cool down.  Then some core work.  Rest day today, then 20 - 22 miles tomorrow and the weather looks pants for tomorrow but hey ho!!!  Give me a total of 46 for the weekimage

DV:  jelly babies - yum, but I am a huge fan of haribo golden bears, can't get enough of themimage.

• LR - that is one cute puppy. Out running yesterday met a miniature dachshund belting along the path towards me - little jacket on, ears flying everywhere - I almost had to stop running and laugh out loud but I fear I would have offended its dignity image

There are two foodstuffs I can't have in the house - butter and jelly beans. In both cases the part of my brain that tells me to stop eating doesn't seem to work, so I have to keep them away from me.

9 miles last night, day off today, 18 tomorrow. Car in garage so I won't be able to drive to my usual long run stamping ground so I'll have to think up something else instead.

Happy trails this weekend folks
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

image Great afternoon at Matinee showing of ' Jane Eyre'.

I'll get me cloak. And bonnet.

• And set fire to the attic!

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

*mad cackling from said attic*

• Wow..  what a stormy overnight...   the roof to my chicken enclosure got damaged.. that will require a repair today...  the weather in the Channel is still very rough...    this is good...   hopefully it will blow over and calm down for me next weekend..

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

always a silver lining eh DV (never mind the chickens). Strong weather and sore legs gave me a plodding 16 miler in just under 10 min. mile pace. 42 for the week.

How'd the 20 milers go Tricky and Fi?

Aren't Paris entries supposed to open this week? 

• DV:  those poor chickensimage, but am sure the weather will improve by next weekend, the sea is looking rather choppy here at the moment.

OO:  well did my 21.25 miles ( I do like to be exact) iin a very happy 3hours 11mins and 48 secs.  and felt really good at the end.  The last 4 miles were run at 8.45 m/m so extremely pleased and dare I say it feeling positive about 3 weeks todayimage.  The long run next week is 16 miles - which will feel like a stroll (hopefully), but have a speedyish 6 followed by a gentle 5 on tuesday, 10 miles weds and hills (the DV  dreadie workout) on thursday.  No rest for the wicked!!!

How did you long 'un go TDimage.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

/members/images/146061/Gallery/t_shirt.JPG

PF, those times are amazing. Hang in there, girl.It must be time to resurrect the must-have thread T-shirt...* Old Belgian-chocolate joke...*

• Just been to watch David Walliams swim past Hampton Court. Boy, does he look knackered. Gritty stuff.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Brilliant Fi- you'll be pleased to heard you kicked my proverbial ar*e today. I only managed 16 in 9:50 pace, after a heavy few days. Well done kidder...
  • Will be happy with anything with a "4" at the start for the run, thanks for the confidence thoughimage.  As there is a relay being run as well, have support the whole way round and a friend who is running an earlier leg, is going to meet me for the last 6 (just under) miles and keep me going (hopefully)!!! 
  • You'll be fine Pri-Fi..  you've had a good block of training...  stay positive and it'll happen   image

One week to go for me...   eek.....

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    The trouble with those relays Princess is that you keep getting fresh legs coming past you, which can be a bit off-putting 
  • O&O: We start 45 mins before the relay, which may help, but will run my own race - I know the course really well so know whats coming but just want to keep my pace in check for the firts 13 - 15 miles and then see how I feel!!  The best laid plans and all.

DV:  scary stuff, but you'll be fab as always.

• This is the week we get to apply for 2012!

• yes it is...   better get that list started...  image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Just entered the Great North Run next Sunday (ebay) image assuming the number arrives.
  • Good Morning..  the wind speed seems to be dropping....    this is good news..  my swim is supposed to be on the 18th...  which would mean starting the run on the 16th...   looking at the weather forecasts, the wind speed looks to be gradually dropping as the week progresses..    we might be in luck...

Only a few days to go...

• I'm getting excited for you too DV, I really am. image

My parents came to visit for the w/e so I tactically put off my last 20miler and did it last night after work instead. Had a beautiful moment running through this beautiful parc around here, sun below the horizon, running east, the sky was azure blue, very dark, a full golden moon was, as was the wind, with the water on the lake in front of me choppy and 3 herons sat together on bits of wood sticking out from the water, with the reflection of the moon shimmying around them.... very isolated, no one around.  Was one of those running moments of beauty, that etches on your brain and you are glad you are out when everyone else is in.

For all the prose though, I was smashed when I finished. Running through woods in the dark is mentally as well as physically tiring. Managed to get a couple of final kms in at race pace but was almost too tired to eat afterwards.

12 days to Berlin. image Glad I got a long one in now because it has been 6 weeks since the last one. I think if I hadn't done that, then it would be a horrible story in Germany. Now let's see. Great day everyone and hope the wind problem dies down DV

• Did someone say a list?? 

Morning all!!  Been horrendously busy with work so not posted for a while.

LRob - sounds like you are being v.sensible re the running... Jasper is totally cuteimage

Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

NGUG - you're rehab has been going along smoothly (and a little quietly I might add). Are you putting any more events ahead of you to aim for? Will you be in Paris 2012 for example?

Not sure what I am doing yet.  I have a charity place for Brighton again and am in the VLM ballot.  Not sure how practical Paris would be for me this year - knowing me I will probably book it again anyway LOL!!  Have booked up Brentwood Half Marathon in March but nothing else as yet.  Hip does still give me intermittent pain so not totally healedimage so am taking it fairly gently still.

Fi - Ed must be off to Uni in the next week or so?  I am having a day off with Ms NGUG this week to make sure we have everything ready being so far away its quite a logistical exercise getting everything up there... good luck with Jersey must help that its on home turf?  Hopefully the weather will be kinder than it was this year in Paris. 

DV - blimey its coming round quickly... good luckimage

• Hi all - once registered etc and got the ball rolling - is it possible to pull out at a later date, or defer? Or am I committed? Still can't decide whether to enter this race or not - just due to cost/logistics etc.