The Great Cumbrian Run Half-Marathon

2»

Comments

• Yet again another brilliant GCR and I managed to get a great time for me of 1:59:44. I love this event, great start at the Castle, amazing countryside, superb support through the villages and a grandstand finish.....Awesome event. My 4th time and I will be back next year for sure.

Was chatting to a guy from the local area from about 4 miles to the end but forgot to get his name and email address. If you reading this im the guy from Burnley and it be good to stay in touch. The chat and the pace you ran at helped me break 2 hours and im totally grateful for that.

GCR organisers and marshals .... Take a bow you deserve it image
  • Now steady on there Millster - there is a law of libel in this country you know and any reference to the word athlete and me in the same sentence is a tad close to the bounds of acceptability!

I do know what you mean though....it's now post race and there's a page and a half of postings - whereas in t'good old days we'd have been looking at 500+ messages....but as Mr Dylan was once heard to have said "the times they are a changing!"

And how nice of you to think of me as riff raff - I'm used to far worse than that so I am going up in the world!image

Hamstring hey? Not nice and can take a while to heal properly - if my experience is anything to go by! That was another of my cricketing injuries from a couple years ago.....there's a definite pattern emerging here isn't there....with me and injuries sustained whilst playing the noble game....you'd think I'd know better at my age! I don't know the technical phrasiology for my current injury but it seems to be something to do with the muscles that run the length of your thigh and attach in the groin area having torn away from the aforementioned area - so it went from being extremely painful to now just being quite sore! (If there's anyone from the medical fraternity out there, you'd probably be able to give the correct diagnosis!)

I'm just beginning to come to the same conclusion as you Millster....that I might have to seek some intervention to heal my ailment....rather than hoping that the combinaton of rest and nature will get me better. It's just that being the tight fisted individual that I am, the thought of parting with brass to get some manipulation is probably more of a painful prospect than actually enduring the injury!!image 

Having watched the BBC coverage of the GNR a couple of weeks ago, it definitely gave me that yearning for wanting to be back involved with events and so fingers and everything else crossed, it'd be good to be a participant again next year rather than being a correspondent who relies on reading the experiences of others in order to imagine what it was like. Having been both in the thick of things and on the sidelines...I know which I prefer the most....and so I sincerely hope that some old acquaintanceships can be renewed in 12 months time!!

Conditions would have suited me today by the sounds of things, I'm another who prefers it wet than warm - and by the sounds of it, if it was those who finished after 2 hours who were at most risk of getting wet - I'd have been absolutely drenched!!!!

Congratulations to Paul's "Mrs" (sorry for impersonal phrasing) on achieving what sounds like a PB and also to Graham who sounds delighted at dipping under 2 hours....and so would I be!!!!

Well done to all concerned for another good GCR!!

• Hello,

Unfortunately I missed the rain by 5 mintues..... but got wet waiting for the OH! Managed a pb of 1.45 even though I thought it was quite humid in the opening miles (bear in mind there are only a couple of occasions in the year I wear sleeves and I never wear leggings image).

Again, great support, but I thought numbers were down on last year and on 2009, could this be because it was earlier and possible GNR'ers thought it was too close since it was only 2 weeks later?

See you next yearimage and well done to everyone helping and running!

• Results are here.

I thought it was very humid out there although thankfully the temperature had dropped a bit compared to what it was like previously. No PB for me, finished nearly a minute outside but still pleased.

• Evening all

Good to see you again, boycs & Millster too (did you post as Millsy in times past?) I was wondering where some of the regulars were this year. I had a good run on Sunday thanks,  boycs - bagged a PB in 1:48:37, finally breaking a time I set at the Great North Run in 2005, which was hugely satisfying. Hope to see you next year.

I love the new course, apart from that awful climb near the end, will be back again all being well.

Thanks to Tony and Nexus for posting the links to photos and results respectively. You did well to get close to your PB in that humidity, Nexus. At 9 miles I was comfortable and on for 1:45, by 11 I was just hanging in there, and desperately hoping I wasn't going to slip outside 1:49

I'd like to  echo thanks already expressed to organisers, volunteers and local for great suppport. This really is a special event.

Finally, congratulations to Graham for your sub-2 hour run, and to runningbagel for your pb Well done to you both, and everyone else who ran yesterday.

• As a Cumbrian it's great to see people applauding the event and I cannot understand why more people don't do it. I am going to fill in the review bit on the RW site and let all know how good it is.

Weather was just about perfect and I got my pacing just right. Was aiming for sub 01:45:00 and got 01:43:21.....well pleased...................Is it just me though, but, when I finish I always think "could have gone faster, why didn't I push more"...................never satisfied !! That's what maybe keeps us all coming back and having another go..........Can't wait for next year but got the Brampton to Carlisle next.

• XL Man. Aye that was me. The athlete formally known as Millsy. Changed my name temporarily but someone stole it in the meantime. Don't ask! Would have been good to see you again - maybe next year.
    One24 - good time! I will have seen you come in because we were standing on the inside of the track just as you entered the stadium but as I've never met you I'm sure you' ll forgive me for not speaking. Had I been running we would have probably finished near to each other.
    Good to see that those who did run enjoyed it. It's a great event but I can't help thinking that more publicity might increase entry numbers or is running less popular or is this event getting a bit too expensive? All just speculation and might be wrong on all counts - I often am!
  • Agree with you Millster ,but i think running is getting more popular 95% of races in Cumbria have seen an increase in entries in 2011! Maybe the organisers should stop raising the entry fee each year! Or maybe get another  sponsor off the council(who make a mint from car parking on otherwise  ordinary Sunday morning) Rant over still a must do race!
  • Well, it was my first Cumbrian Run and it was hell and a joy at the same time.

Decided to do it a few months ago after taking up jogging in Feb. Got a few injuries through the summer and had decided not to do it but with 6 weeks to go i thought i'd give it a shot.

My lack of training showed on the day (as well as being nervous as hell and waking up at 3am on Sunday morning) and finished in 2hour 30mins.

Was really disppointed in my time as i'd hoped for nearer 2hours 15min based on my 9 mile time (hadn't run past 9 miles in the run up to the event) but it was FAR tougher than i expected. With having calf injuries i didn't do any hill work and stayed on the flat....that was a culture shock in the race as the first 4 miles seem to be up hill !!!

I also seemed to be carried away with the event and i set off far too quickly.

I was absolutley gone by Rickerby Park but managed to finish the course and raised £330 for the Cumbrian Children's Nursing Service. Delighted !!!

Anyway, a few days after the event i was still aching but sooooo glad i done it. Had a brilliant time but also, never been in so much pain in my life !!! hahaha

Gonna go out and have a little run tomorrow.

Quick question: Is the Brampton to Carlisle the same kind of race or is it more for the proper athlete. I'd like to give it a go and have something to train for but not sure what to expect?

Cheers

• Cracking effort, for the 1:43:21 one20Four . I know what you mean about never being satisfied too. I should be far more pleased to have broken a 6 year old PB than I am. I really thought I was going to be challenging 1:45, and ended up just hanging on. For once I don't feel like I could have given anymore though; actually felt a bit wobbly for a few minutes after I crossed theline, so I'm pretty sure I had nothing left. Beating your target by over a minute and a half, are you sure you're not being a little hard on yourself?

Identity theft, eh, Mills(y)ter image  I don't think the price is too high fo rthis event. Compared to the GNr for example, it's a bargain. I did five GNRs and loved them all, but I prefer the quieter events, and this event is terrific value. I'mnot surprised that Cumbrians are proud of it. It would b good to see you next year. Fingers crossed.

Congratulations on your first half, Mike not too shabby a time at all. You won't be the first or last runner to set off too quickly. You'll know for next time. Afraid I can't help you with your Brampton-Carlisle question, but I'm sure you'll get an answer from someone with experience or knowledge of that one.

• Mike , you will enjoy the Brampton -Carlisle its a much easier course, A lot more club vests than the Cumbrian Run but dont be put off , runners of all abilities will be entering ! Buses leave the sands center up to Brampton school (usually £2) for registration and changing, bags are put on a bus for collection at the sands center where it finishes also showers and changing facilities,If you look on mapmyrun website it will probably have all the information you need!
  • Mike. Paul's right with everything he says or at least with regard to the Brampton to Carlisle run. It's quite low key but very well organised and runners of all abilities are welcome. You would need to run ridiculously fast to win but there's more to running than winning at least there is if you're as slow as some of us are. Google the Brampton to Carlisle results for the last few years. That will give you an idea of the finishing times but I'm sure you'll be fine.
  • One20Four wrote (see)

If it's the 3rd Satrurday in November I'm out of it because I entered the Bill Barker 10k that was supposed to be in August but they changed the date to November 20th so as I've paid I'll be doing that. I just hope the organisers have the good sense to speak to each other otherwise they will both suffer.

Brampton to Carlisle is 19th November, Bill Barker 10K has been cancelled
  • Has it ? I decided to go for the 10k rather than the Brampton. I only entered on Sunday night. Where did you hear it was cancelled ?
  • Was told last night by someone involved in the organising of Brampton to Carlisle

• See attached, confirmation of Bill Barker 10K cancellation

http://www.westcumbrianrun.co.uk/