Greater Manchester Marathon

Comments

• PPS glad I checked out the trams on this thread (I think)!
  • Still no survey sent to me. On the plus side I've now done 4.5, 10.25 and 7 miles the last three days. Last one felt almost back to normal - quads and glutes/piriformis no longer tight - and I hope to do about 20 miles on Sunday. All slow running for now - most important to get my MPW and long run distance/time up, not to go fast. I'll try a tempo run in a week or so, I think.

• Green PeteGreen Pete ✭✭✭

I took a few weeks off after Manchester, went out with the club on Tuesday and last night and it completely ruined me. Don't think i have ever struggled so badly plus my lovely Nike pegasus trainers are pretty much knackered after that weather plus my shorts feel weird.. Haha. Be having nightmares about that weather for years.

• Bristol 10K tomorrow looking for PB - hopefully around 43:30
  • Bristol 10K done and new PB 43:48 over moon and did not leave anything out there.
  • Well done, good effort ! (smiley face) ...
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

Nice one Bearsted. Also managed a PB 38.37 at Manchester's 10k (which is so well organised for such a big event).

• 15 brilliant time - and yes done it back in 2009 and is a great race and so well organised. You probably didnt (as you a bit quicker than me) but on way out to Trafford I got to see Haille coming back other way and that was a sight to see.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

No - I have ran it almost all the years that he has ran it and never managed to see him. I almost pulled out this year cause I was still knackered and slightly injured from the marathon, and also wouldn't have minded just spectating to watch the big man. He really is a legend and I hope he somehow makes it to the olympics.

Perfect running weather yesterday morning in Manchester!

• 15 - apparently he is running 10K Eithiopian Olympic trials at weekend so maybe he will get into Olympics - apparently that was quickest 10K time of year so he is in good shape. Yes weather was perfect in Bristol, it is first time I have thrown up after crossing finish line but suppose showa I didn't leave anything out there. - however a minute later I was fine so not all bad.

• after completing Manchester I am missing a goal for my runsimage I plan to enter another marathon next spring (London or another eg Windermere) and have  10ks in June and August but wondered about doing a half marathon in the Autumn. I live in the North so ideally would like one not far away (I don't travel well after running). Can anyone recommend a half marathon in the Autumn in the North? Thank you!image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Warrington, Blackpool, Macclesfield, Tatton Park....

Do a search on Events section of this website - a lot of races have reader reviews from previous years.

• Warrington is good and usually has about 3000 runners, really well organised

• thank you, that is really helpful image

• I did Lancaster HM and Conwy beginning of November (obviously North Wales but still north!) and loved both of them.  Both brilliantly organised.  Conwy special though. 

• Manchester marathon was reviewed in Runners World magazine this month.

Basically crap weather, decent course, loads of no shows and bad organization at the end.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Yes, I read that. I like the bit about the runners showing "incredible hardiness".

• Just received mine and on hols from tomorrow in Barcelona for my 50th so am keeping to read when away.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Lots of silly articles about losing weight for the summer in there, but looking forward to the Usain Bolt and Seb Coe articles. I'll be cancelling that mag when my 12 months is up - too much in there not interested in, or already know about. Have just bought P&D Advanced Marathoning book - that is a good read! Also got the "The Runner's Body" which also looks good. The missus thinks I am turning into a bit of a sad weirdo - think I'll have to leave her for that. Then I'll have more time to read about running.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Oh - and Happy Birthday Bearsted and have a great holiday. Barcelona is a fab city.

• Happy Birthday BP! Enjoy yourself.

• Happy Birthday BP.

I'll be knocking Runners World on the head as well. Too much slimming stuff and too many food recipes. Love the athletics history pieces though.

• Cheers Guys/Girls (another age group to compete in now). Just bought P&D book as well and yes is great read and although I will not follow totally one of the programs I will use the thought pattern in my schedule I build up for next year. Considering the valencia marathon in November as I really can't wait until next April for another marathon - can't do sooner as away in September for 2 weeks.

15 - Yes love Barcelona as well and going to use this break to see most of bits have not seen before + also get a trip out to Torres Vineyard and the Cava one next to it.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Sounds good. I've signed up to Chester in October - Valencia sounds much more exotic though. I'd like to try one of these marathons outside the UK one day, infact I'm yet to venture outside the NW.

Working from home today and being the workshy fop that I am have just been trying out the core strength exercises in that P&D book - and made me feel sick. Anyone else get this from core strength training?

• 15W - I bought the P&D book after Manchester because even though the training plans are way out of my league (maybe one day though.....!) I was interested in all the 'theory' behind the different sessions. I've been doing the core strength exercises from the book but it hasn't made me feel ill. Having said that I've never done core strength stuff before so I've been working myself up to the full programme gradually. Maybe you just tried to do too much too quickly!! image

Anyone doing the Kenilworth Half in September?

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Maybe I should have waited till my lunchtime sandwich had gone down first!

One think about P&D schedules is it doesn't have any tune up races of half marathon distance or more in it's schedules replacing the weekly long run on the sunday. It does have 8k to 15k tune up races on a saturday the day before a slow long run for a few week....so...not sure what to do there....

• I raced a couple of Halfs (that the correct spelling in this context?) and just moved the scheule around a bit so they corresponded with 15 - 17 mile long runs rather than the 20 milers. I'm sure if you run a Half at a decent pace then missing a couple of miles off the end of a couple of LSRs is neither here nor there.

On the tune up races I just tried to run the distance at a decent pace, slightly slower than tempo pace. Couldn't think of any else TBH..

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Yes Gaz - that's how I was thinking of doing it. Might only run one half though, and maybe a 10mile and/or 10k.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I'm talking about in build up for Chester in the autumn. Keep forgetting what forum thread I'm on.