Greater Manchester Marathon

19596979899101»

Comments

• Finishers T-shirts on sale. Not surprising given the weather and the ~50% turn out!image

That said I bought 3!image

• Green PeteGreen Pete ✭✭✭

Saw the review in Runners World, i'm also quite chuffed cause you can see me in the picture running outside Old Trafford.. Got orange Nike's on and a blue beenie hat.. image

• I have entered Liverpool marathon and hope and pray that the Weather God doesn't throw a day like Manchester at me.   

Gaz re P&D - I am thinking of doing the 55-70/18.  Is that the one you did?  I have ran 53 miles this week as a tester to see whether I am ready for that scale.  My weekly mileage for Manchester was around 45-50 and I don't feel the <55/18 plan is taxing enough for me to be honest... 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I'm also going to follow that plan - although haven't built up my mileage as much as you HO2. Managed about 40 last week - although needed some recovery from Manc 10k last sunday. I am actually following the 5 week recovery schedule at end of the 55-70 schedule. Next week it all starts for Chester marathon, although I'll be away this coming bank holiday weekend and won't have much time to run, so will be starting mid week.

Some of it looks pretty tough, lots of MLRs during the week, some hard sessions on consecuuive days, a few double days, 8k-15k races on the saturday before a long run on the sunday, long runs at MP etc etc. Bit daunting - but I was running between 50 and 60 for Manc marathon, and should have more time this summer, so for now I'm going for it.

One thing I am going to concentrate on is recovering properly - I will definately rest when it says rest (although may have to swap some saturdays and mondays around), and I am going to run my recovery runs slower than I have been - at least a min/mile slower than MP.

• For all the slower runners out there.......I'll be following the 16 week RW sub-4:00 plan although realistically I'd be happy with 4:20. I've tweaked it a bit to include a few more hills and MP runs. Roll on the 18th June! Going to France next week so I shall look forward to running in different scenery for a few days.image

• HO2, that was the one I did. It seemed the toughest one Id realistically have enough time to follow. As 15 says this time Im going to make sure my recovery runs are done properly at less than 70% max heart rate, I didnt do that last time and it caught up with me a bit towards the end.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

Gaz - what did you do for the 8k-15k races it has for 3 saturdays? (and have I asked you this before?!)

• Thanks Gaz and 15 - I have started it today -  9 miles threshold with 4 @ HM to 15k race pace - coincidentally, my friend who is phenomonal runner and marathoner followed P&D a couple of times and has advised me to knock the recovery runs down to 3 miles.  Which I will do and will be jogging them.  I have a habit of running everything too fast and my glute is niggling so if I want to do this, I have to do it properly.  Definitely be wearing HRM tomorrow.   

15 - be interesting to see how we both get on.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

HO2 - what race are you training for? I am training for Chester - so my 1st of 18 week schedule starts next week - although I won't  be able to start till next thursday as will be away. Just wondering why you are doing a LT run yesterday, as wednesdays appear to be medium long run day....?

• Liverpool 15.  First run is the LT one on the 18 week 70/18.  I did it on Tuesday. Then I did medium distance on the Wednesday. image  Been fine all week, however have dropped recovery run to 4 miles on Thursday and 3 today and will do 18 tomorrow as I did 15 miles last week.