Greater Manchester Marathon

Comments

• Thanks BP - The benefit of the cold was I couldn't feel my legs and thus injuries image  Was tracking for a sub 4 until about 24 miles but the cold got to me and I came in at 4.12.  You?
  • H - yes know the feeling - was with Quays until 22 miles looking at 3:48 but cramped up (and never do that) which put down to cold and went on to do 3:52 which was a new PB so really happy. Quays went onto do 3:46 and I think I could have stayed with him as I was feeling good apart from the cramping up.

15- Great Manchester 10K is fast course so you will do well there - did it in 2009 3 weeks after London Marathon and set a PB. Brilliant part of that day was running out around Old Trafford and seeng Haille Gab coming other way at the speed he was going.

• Jilly: Not sure; light running this week with maybe a 10-miler at the weekend, more next week with a nice LSR on the weekend of 12/13th then taper again?  I've got a bit more time to my next one - Croydon 30M on 8th July the NDW 50M August 11th. Although I'm thinking about North Downs Run 30K 24th June...
  • Jilly: Theres a 4 week between marathons training program in P&D. Its basically a lot of rest, recovery runs, 1 lot of "strides" a week and LSRs at the weekend of 11 miles.

Seems just "ticking over".
  • Just had an Email from Manchester marathon. My bag has turned up!
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

Bearsted - have ran Manchester 10k many times. I live in Manchester, and this race holds a bit of a special place in my heart as it got me into all this more serious running/racing business. First time I did it back in 2006 or 2007, can't remember, I did it with a bunch of workmates and came last...so had to address that! Now I leave them for dust! It gets criticised on this website quite a bit as it is expensive for a 10k, but it's a massive event and I think is good fun as has lots of people of all abilities, and encourages a lot of people to run which has got to be good.

• 15 - agree with you - yes it is expensive but it is a brilliant race and a great course. that same year I did all the Great Runs (not Adelaide) as part of a big sponsorship I was doing and it was best of all the 10K races I did. Good luck and enjoy

• Bearstead - Thanks for your earlier words of support, I too was going to re-run Manchester 10k this year as have enjoyed it in the past, and after marathon training it would have been easier this time! I'm with you on the seeing HG bit - I was dead excited, ha ha! Was hoping I could defer my place to next year, but they said no - there goes my £35, hey ho  
  • 15West - did you come last out of your workmates, or last out of everyone....??
  • GazOC: great to hear your bag has turned up!

How is everyone feeling now? Aches and pains just about gone?

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    workmates - obviously!image
  • Debra - had a few yesterday morning but went out for a 6 mile brisk walk with my wife last night and today feel almost back to normal. Will do another walk tonight and then maybe a little jog on Thursday. Back into training on Monday for Bristol 10K on 20th May - 10 days of speed work!!
  • Cheers Debra. My legs are OKish this morning, I'm going to try and slow and steady 4-5 miles this afternoon to see if they are as good as they feel.....I suspect the inclines will find them out!
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    I am feeling a bit better - but not ready to run yet. Have been walking and cycling, may go gym tomorrow and/or friday to do some cross training and weights etc., no running weekend, will go for first run early next week. Quite looking forward to staying in bed sunday morning to be honest.
  • Swimming for me tonight and possible a and e tomorrow night.

No muscle aches for me but some random localised pain and swelling in my right calf where I've been pinned and plated so may have done some unknown damage. I feel like I could be back running today if it wasn't for that.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

anyone been, or going for a sports massage?

I am thinking of having one, Anatomy in Chorlton are offering 20% off for any Gtr Manc marathon runners, but feels a bit decadent...

• Body Combat class for me tonight - then possibly A&E image legs feel OK and I have been up and down loads of stairs today. Didn't think this would be possible after the subway on Sunday, legs totally gave in & turned to jelly!
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Just been out to send my GFA application off to VLM.

• Jilly - i'm thinking of doing Windermere (just negotiating my pass out).

In the P&D Schedule it recommends:

3 weeks to go:

wed - 5 miles recovery, Fri - 6 mile recovery, Sat - 6 m recovery Sun - general aerobic 8m

2 weeks to go:

tue - recovery 6 miles, wed 8 miles aerobic, Fri - general aerobic 8 miles w 8x100m strides, sat- recovery 5 miles, sun - medium long 12 miles.

1 week to go:

tue - vo2 max 8 miles with 5 x 800m at 5k pace- jog 2 min in between, wed - recovery 5 miles, thurs - medium long 15m, fri- recovery 4 m, sat recovery 5 miles, sun - 11 miles medium long run.

race week:

tue - 6miles recovery, wed - 7 miles with 2 at marathon pace, thurs - recovery 6 miles, fri - recovery 5 miles, sat - recovery 4 miles, sun - second marathon.

I suppose it depends on what mileage you have been doing. If it was me I would'nt run those few days before the 2nd marathon ( but I have never done this before so what do i know)!!

• Ended up doing 3 miles. Felt the legs but nothing major, will d0 5-6 miles tomorrow, 8-10 over the weekend and then take it from there.
  • 15West: have the massage - seriously worthwhile. image  I had a physio session today to sort out any lingering remains of the piriformis syndrome (booked last week). It's basically better now - asindicated by my completing the marathon! She also tackled some other tight areas, including left IT band by my knee: I was getting pain under the knee cap which I thought was probably due to muscle tightness somewhere - I was correct. A painful 30 minutes, but I feel lots better for it.

Did a little recovery run Monday lunchtime (10.5-11 mins/mile), Pilates yesterday evening (athough often unable to do full number of repeats, and my quads flat refused to attempt one exercise). Will go out with my club this evening but expect to drop back a pace group and to only do 40 mins not 60. Expect to go on the club run on Sunday, but won't start B2Bs until NEXT weekend (12-13th).

Deli: good luck on this evening's class - don't be afraid to say "no, can't do that tonight" for some stuff!

• MartznwMartznw ✭✭
    Doing Edinburgh in just under four weeks was wondering what this P&D book is, so I can pick up a copy.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

Advanced Marathoning by Pfitzinger and Douglas I think. Going to get a copy myself too - hopefully then I'll be able to get in the GB olympics marathon team.

• I have just purchased the P&D 15West, it looks great. I'm going to follow their multiple marathons schedule (I've decided to do Lancaster in just under 8 weeks). However they say 5 miles recovery run today. I doubt there's much chance I can manage 5 but if I go very slow then I may well do.

I looking for a 10k tune up race in 6 weeks in the North West, anyone know of one?
  • You should have got it for Xmas 15, they've picked the GB marathon team already. Maybe 2016...
  • Martnznw - would you like me to post on here the schedule from P&D for the 4 week between marathons schedule? I'll just type it out. No problem for me.
  • Oh I see Mish already posted it!!

• Mart - Its called 'Advanced Marathoning' by Pete Pfitzinger and Scott Douglas (with a foreword by Bill Rodgers).

I knocked 47 mins off my last marathon time using the 50 mile per week schedule, unless I have natural talent !! I doubt it. I have also been eating a lot healthier all the time which I think has helped coupled with losing some body fat (girls thing). !!

• HO2. Liverpool Tunnel 10k is around 6 weeks away.
  • MartznwMartznw ✭✭
    Cheers Mish1 will have a look at the book see if can help me