Relationships and marriage..........Knight in shinning armour?

Comments

• Aye, the family courts take a lot into consideration when deciding how to split family assets and ongoing financial support. Their primary concern is what is fair to both parties. There aren't any automatic decisions and all cases are decided on their merits.

As family matters are held in private and usually don't set precedent, it can be very difficult to find out the actual facts behind the headlines when someone has to pay their ex-wife millions and millions...

My mother is twice divorced and has never had a penny in either child support or alimony from her ex-husbands. She didn't even get half the equity in the family home once it was sold.
  • Fine if that's your mummy's choice but not if the state then has to support the children when the absent father has a responsibity to provide for them.

• NLR - It's wasn't her choice, it was the courts. First time, her husband wasn't working and Mum was about to marry someone else, so the courts decided 2nd husband could take on the financial responsibilities. Second time, the kids were both working and the court decided there was no obligation on her second husband to provide an income for her. I was using her as an example that there is no automatic 'right' to half of whatever.
  • Think you have to be alive to get the wine out. The cave must make a lovely cellar although I am amazed that he ever made the transition from tree dwelling.

• Kryten wrote (see)
    So it makes sense then for you look for a husband who is from the same cultural background as you?

I think she has, and its men perhaps from closer to her own culture who back away from the strong independant woman thing.

• a cave sounds very nice but id rather have a nice snow white type cottage and be an incognito princess...NLR....are you playing part of prince?lol
  • I can be a princey type caveman in your snow white cottage. I love your well trimmed front lawn image
  • ...just did my age old trick..blobbing nail varnish all over the keyboard.oops.image....better do the cleaning duties and get the flash liquid......
  • the lawn is neat yes...i have quite nice hanging baskets too..ahemimage
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    One-eyed undertaker wrote (see)

Relationships are a bit like running. Some people can go the distance while others quit when it gets tough.

My partner hates to see me happy, so she insists on staying with me, and I'm too tight to share MY wealth. Anyway, It's took me ages to train her. She tidies the cave once in a while, and slaps a bit of meat in front of me now and again.

She occasionally gets the wine out, and we all know what that means ladies!

Four in the Mornin' and they haul Yifter in

Take him to the hospital and haul him upstairs

The wounded man looks up through his one dying eye

Says " What did you bring him here for, he ain't the guy"

• is that the lyrics from the latest Will young album?
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    If you don't know, you don't know.
  • Sounds like Dylan to me(Bob not Thomas)
  • Although puffy quoted Hurricane when it should be Shelter from the Storm
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    One-eyed undertaker wrote (see)

The legend that is Will Young...That's gonna tickle me for a week.

Edit... Wrong lyrics Puffy, but we'll keep that to ourself, shall we?

What's a sweetheart like you doing in a dump like this anyway?

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    kittenkat wrote (see)
    M.ister W wrote (see)
    You're completely and utterly wrong.  If a woman wanted to marry me, not work and live off my earnings it would in no way show that she trusted me.  I doesn't make her vulnerable because if she decided to leave she could divorce me and take most of my money.  I suggest you get into the real world and stop pretending this is a cultural thing.

Quite!

I see marriage as sharing everything, especially when kids come along.

I will say this hand on heart, there is no way, absolutely no way if D and I split; even if he did the dirty on me with another woman, that I would fleece him.

I think that's the lowest of the low, too many people care too much about money and what they can grab. It leaves me cold.

When I divorced my second husband people told me I should claim a chunk of the house (which he had bought before I met him, and he always paid the mortgage on).

I prefered to have some pride and take care of myself - there was no justification for claiming that any part of the house was "mine", but people kept telling me I could get something out of it.

I think it's a damn' shame that so many people think like that.

• Good for you Wilkie. If you hadn't made a financial contribution to the mortgage though, you would have struggled with a claim against him for part of the house. As I said before, because of the secrecy surrounding family cases, people have a view of financial settlements that is inaccurate, at best.
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I expect I would - it was other people who thought that I should have a go!

I know it is probably different when you have children, but I find the idea that a lot of women have, that they should be entitled to some of his income, pension, whatever, quite depressing.

Don't these women have any pride?  Want to stand on their own feet and say "stuff you - I don't need your support"?

• AllNew wrote (see)
    Good for you Wilkie. If you hadn't made a financial contribution to the mortgage though, you would have struggled with a claim against him for part of the house. As I said before, because of the secrecy surrounding family cases, people have a view of financial settlements that is inaccurate, at best.

Wilkie would have been able to claim for part of the house.  The amount she would have got is likely to have been dependent on how long they'd been married.  Assets owned before marriage are considered joint assets after marriage.  My ex had no problem staking a claim against assets I owned before we were married.  Unfortunately she had no pride, only pound signs flashing in her eyes and an evil bitch of a mother who was encouraging her to take as much as she could.

I should obviously have married Wilkie image

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

But we'd never have got divorced, MW  image

• Good point... and then I wouldn't have married Pink and we wouldn't have had Little Miss W.
  • If people think that the rules are too much in favour of women its only probably because women had such a shit deal earlier for so long...........

so many women who wanted to divorce horrible even violent partners in the past were left with nothing to bring up the kids or in many cases even no kids if the father wanted them as he was their legal guardian..............

when laws are so much in favour of one side then the quite often go too far the other way before they equal out..........i think we are finally entering a period of fairer outocmes that are based on individuals not sexes..........

• I don't think family law favours women.  I do think it's crap though.  It does nothing to encourage mediation and agreement and does everything to encourage conflict.