Rugby World Cup 2011

Comments

• I think the schedule is starting to catch up with the minnows now. Namibia looked exhausted at the end of their match. Do you think they all go home now? Seems a bit sad that it's all over for them so quickly image

Canada v. Japan tomorrow at 4:30am - who's with me?! image

• image I'm quite up for Canada v Japan but will get that extra hour in nod and watch it on plus 1. Missed the Scotland game completely because of a race but can't say I'm surprised with recent form. ((Scots out there)). England made just as many penalties at the weekend but it did look and feel a lot better so here's to hoping we can make it to the final but NZ, Oz, SA, Ireland and Wales are all better teams that us and deserve to win it more so far. I'm afraid I can't see France beating us on present form little N but we arn't going to get any futher than that unless something special happens.
  • I'm fairly confident that, should England make the quater against France, that we can win it.  Over the past 4 years, England/France are 4/1 in tournement games (had to look that up).  Of course, go back a little further and it favours France but I think recent history is more relevant.

I have to disagree that Wales and Ireland are better teams.  Wales are more attractive certainly, but I don't think they have what it takes to get to a final just yet.  Same for Ireland.  I can't say that I would be happy to be proved wrong, but if either do get to the final, I'll find a distant relative connection and cheer them on. 

• Hmm, Wales and Ireland better than England?  I think each wins on their day.  Deserve to win it more?  Perhaps, but only through the virtue of being more entertaining, and that's for the audience, not for the points.  Anyone who disagrees that "a win is a win" during the knockout stages of the World Cup deserves to have their head sat on by a fat hooker who's just done overtime in the brothel.

What I would say is that Australia looked eminently beatable coming into the tournament, and have been eminently beaten.  SA have picked up their play but are losing players.  Either of those could lose their semi to whoever comes through against them.  That will be NZ though (beating Arg) , whom both of them have taken the measure of recently because they know them well.

The other QFs are all Northern Hemisphere.  Because it's knockout time they'll be won by the forwards, so England and Ireland are most likely to progress to meet each other, but either could be undone through the other teams on their day.  England have as much chance to reach the final again as any other team remaining.

NZ will still win that final though.

• Don't get me wrong not saying in general Wales and Ireland are better, but just on what I've seen in this world cup so far. I do think England can raise there game, question is will they? At the moment I would say both teams are more deserving off getting through.

• I'm sure nobody here cares but Go Canada against Japan.  If "we" win I think it almost guarantees qualification for 2015!  Not quite a world contender....yet!
  • Loose your not world beaters yet but the more games you get the better you lads will be. image
  • On what basis Cake?  England have the third best defensive record and third highest score in the competition so far.  OK, Ireland beat Oz so that's a big tick, but Wales lost, narrowly but still lost, to SA.  (Sorry, spent some time reading the BBC boards today)

But as Ratzer says, either of the 3 on their day can beat each other and most of the other teams.  Its going to get interesting.  If only they could start playing the matches in the middle of the night over there so it's a bit more sociable for us!

• I particularly like the 3am game times!
  • Just personal preference so far Ireland and Wales have both been against quality sides and played some spell binding rugby. England so far havn't shined as much we haven't played as big team but I'm slightly annoyed by some of the silly error's we've made might be being over critical? Would be more than happy to see England lifting the world cup don't get me wrong but we are not quite there yet. I can see a lot of good players but not that many leaders.

• England rarely shine to be fair image  The error count is poor and has to be improved.  Can't give te points away to Scotland at the weekend or to who ever we may meet further on.

But I think you're right.  I would take a lot of luck for any home nation side to life the cup this time around.

• Good luck for tomorrow, Loose Moose - go Canucks! image

I probably won't be up at 4:30 but I will be taping it to watch later. I'm hoping for an entertaining match as Japan seem to like to run the ball a lot.

I think England are probably favourites against France as they have the edge in KO matches at the World Cup. They've played 3 meaningful matches (not including 1995) and won them all. But I'd give Ireland the edge over England if they meet in the SF. This will be the last WC for lots of Irish players and they surely have to take confidence from beating Australia and think that it is their time.

If France don't win image Ireland would probably be my next favourite, or maybe Wales... image

• Ireland at their best are better than England at their best.  4 of the last 6 Heineken cups have been won by Munster or Leinster.  These guys not only know how to get to finals,  they expect to get to finals and win. The recent warm up game is not an indicator of how the next Ire V Eng game will go.  Better indicator is the last 6N game. 

It's a cliche to say that Ireland can always get motivated for an Eng game because they're the 'old enemy'.  This Irish team gets motivated to beat Eng because the players know they are better especially as a team.  It's professional pride, not national pride, that motivates this squad.

I also think Wales at their best are better than Eng at their best.  Last grand slam by eng was 2003.  Last Grand slam for wales and ire was 2008 and 2009 respectively.  But there is something in the current Wales mindset that auto-destructs.  Couple of years ago a Wales team had the All Blacks on the back foot.  If they could bring that game on to the pitch regularly they would be a match for most teams.  The best symbol of wales rugby is Gavin Henson. All the physical qualities that a top class player needs, but there is something not working right in the brain area.

Of course getting the best team out on a pitch is a difficult thing. The odds of an Eng team winning look better the worse the standard of the teams that actually trot out on the day.   The current Eng team are flat-track bullies.  Yet to see if they move up from that category.

• bos1 wrote (see)

The best symbol of wales rugby is Gavin Henson. All the physical qualities that a top class player needs, but there is something not working right in the brain area.

I know what you mean, bos1, and completely agree.  And you only need to add to the list of strangely deficient players the names of Shane Williams (yes, Wales' top try scorer is also a huge liability on the field - Wales' version of C. Ronaldo), Mike Phillips, Andy Powell, Toby Faletau and Lee Byrne.  Huge talents, but unable to apply it consistently, especially in the face of pressure, and all mildly unhinged.  Yet if we didn't have the talismen, other teams would worry less.  But it's definitely that overall mindset, whether it's these players or the entire team, that is of concern.  You can make one player think he can win, but how do you make twenty one think they can win?  One head goes down and it's easier for all the others to gravitate towards it, than lift it back up!

If Wales could beat the All Blacks once, just once, there'd be no other team in the Northern Hemisphere apart from France irregularly that could touch us.  Such would be the belief.

Yet, given the draw, who would put good money down against Wales not making the final?  And then, who wouldn't risk a tenner on Wales' very first official victory against the ABs being in their own World Cup final...?  You may call me a dreamer...

• After a weekend away, H is having a rugby catch up - England are 20 points up at the moment. I've been told (in the nicest way) to shut up & go away image

• Just finished Japan v. Canada - what a great game! Loads of running, lots of heart and a cliffhanger of an ending.

Brilliant image

• image I coundn't wake up this morning so will watch the highlights later. BDB I think Ireland cound lift the world cup and to be honest I'm hoping ever so slightly that they do. For obvious reasons I'd prefer it was england but lets see what happens. image
  • image TSK! 

I think a new team should win this time image

*coughFRANCEcough*

• *coughWALEScough*
  • image Sorry matey I can't see it for wales or france. They will get close through and I would be happy to be wrong.
  • A tie for Canada....hmmmm....now I'm really confused
  • I think you're still safe in 3rd place, LM. Unless Tonga beat France image

Your team have some impressive beards! image

• Yes the beards are a real plus...it adds to our stereotype of a country full of lumberjacks and moose
  • image Hasn't one of your players vowed to not cut it till they are on the plane home? can't remember the name of the chap but he's got a right monster of facial hair.
  • Yeah Adam Kleeberger...Grizzly Adam....more to the stereotype
  • You could be right about Ireland Cake.  Not too long to find out.
  • ouch - that was a bruising battle

i wonder how many citings will come out of that game

Why do I support France - it's so painful! image

Well done Tonga, you annihilated them...

Red card to ITV's coverage. The build-up to this match was full of repeated England-Scotland tosh and they've had absolutely no reaction to this match. Fair enough France probably don't deserve any but it would have been nice to hear from the Tongan players.

Oh and Steve Rider? F*ck off and die you muppet!!! image

• Ahem image apologies for ranting, I've calmed down now image

Well done Ireland, they played a great game against Italy. Missed Wales v. Fiji but the scoreline suggests it was a bit of a rout!

So we've ended up with NH and SF halves of the draw:

• England v. France
    • Wales v. Ireland
    • Australia v. South Africa
    • New Zealand v. Argentina

Can't see France beating England or Argentina beating New Zealand but the other QFs look much closer.

Any predictions?

• I'll put my money where my mouth is and go for the team in bold. 

England v. France - France are due to produce their traditional one spectacular game, but it'll have to be something out of this world compared to how they have been playing so far (sorry).

Wales v. Ireland - because I have a soft spot for the men in green. But they've come together and are playing well since the warm up debacle.

Australia v. South Africa - They've just seemed that bit tighter so far. I know SA haven't lost, while Oz have, but I think that might have caused them to raise their game a bit earlier.

New Zealand v. Argentina - Can't see the Puma's getting close. NZ by a country mile, although it should be pretty physical. Mind you, NZ haven't had their tradaitional flaky game yet either...

England vs NZ for the final. (watch me get that dreadfully wrong!)