5k Training

Comments

• I know, but think what Elite 5km pace is like. I believe the World Record is sub-13 mins, which is faster than 2:36 min/km pace! Not even sure if I could sprint 100m at that sort of speed.

I've only ever done/tried 1km intervals and I did them between 3:32 and 3:15 pace. Absolutely killed me though. Was surprised to see that my fastest km at the Huddersfield 10k was 3:39 so I must have blazed home the last stretch!

Going to try some Farleks next week, once I'm back to feeling right in my leg. They're just sprints and jogs aren't they? Is it possible to just go out and fairly randomly sprint a bit and then jog a bit and repeat? Or does it need to be fairly well measured (eg. 400m run, 4 min recovery, repeat six times...)?
  • It's up to you, on the most basic level you can decide on a pace, pick out a landmark in the distance and run to it, then recover, and repeat. Choose whatever effort
    ecovery pacesdistances you want over a predetermined overall distance imeframe.If you want you can structure it as much as you want, I'm planning a pyramid style session with 1200m,800m,400,800m,1200m efforts with recovery in-between, but you'd need a gps watch or a track to do them on accurately. I'll have to see how I feel tonight though; Achilles has been tight since Tuesday’s efforts. 
  • Hi Guys

Nice one on the 10k PB Ewan, now knowing what kind of pace you can manage in a race situation, I'm sure you'll be surprised by how much you can take off the time, especially if you still had some left in the tank. I think I'm setting myself similar targets to yourself for both the 5k and 10k. I'm really keen to do a sub 20min 5k if I can find somewhere with a flatter course than my current park run which is 1 and 3/4 laps but includes a big hill in both laps.

Heather, shame about the shin splints, as frustrating as it may be, rest is the only way that they will fully recover. I ignored mine for ages and it became painful to walk. I've reduced my training down to 1 run a week now so they are alright for the Bath half on the 11th. I was aiming for a good 1:45 but now think something around 2:00 will be a bit more sensible. Then no running for a least a month to make sure they mend up nicely.

Lauren, are you training for a full marathon now? I remember a while back you said that you were also training for a half. Has that been now or was that around the same time as the injuries? Are you still going to Clapham chasers? I see people in the vests out and about quite often so have been wondering if one of them is you.

Anyone Park running this weekend? I'll be finishing my hellish month of exams on friday so needless to say I will be in no fit state to put my trainers on the right feet, let alone run a 5k.

Rich

• You're all going to be flying along with all this speedwork! I've had to drop all that completely with my various aches and pains image Great result on the 10k, Ewan, you'll be tearing up the track next time!

Rich, I am training for the Brighton full marathon, only 6 weeks to go!! I'm doing a half as training, so aiming for 2 hours. Think it'll be a challenge but definitely achievable. I usually hit 12 miles at 2 hours on my long runs (of 15 miles plus) so should be able to pick up the pace a bit. I've dropped all time expectations for the marathon though, just want to get round! I've been doing my weekend runs with Chasers, but its too fast for my mid-week runs at the moment.

Rich, from my understanding, its better to turn up at the start line slightly undertrained but in full health so don't worry about only running once a week. If its making your legs feel good, carry on! Not long till the half, let us know how you get on!

I might try and pootle around parkrun on Saturday. Got a 20 mile race on Sunday though, so it really would be a nice, slow jog, not going to be setting the world alight!
  • hanks Lauren. Massive good luck for the marathon. What made you suddenly decide to sign up for it? The words  "20 mile" and "race" are ones which i hope to never see diarised together for a sunday... Have you covered that distance before?

• What made me sign up for it? Moment of madness? I honestly have no idea, I think it was one if those out-of-body things! I'm weirdly quite excited about it now though!

I've done 17 miles before and that was pretty awful. I'm in a but better shape this week though, and I won't be racing the 20 miles - its a race for the front runners, but a paced run for the rest of us. I think I might come last!
  • Do you do much training on treadmill Lauren?  Shortly after I was saying how I was surprised I had no shin problems, I went on the treadmill for pretty nuch the first time in my life and did a 25 min tempo pace run, then next day my right shin was agony.  I rested for a couple of days, and have had no recurrence; needless to say I'm sticking to the roads in future.

• No, I never use treadmills unless I have literally no other choice! I get so bored, I can't carry on for more than 10 minutes. I like to have a destination!

I think my shin problems are a bit deeper than regular old shin splints anyway. I'm having some trouble with the top of my foot now (yep, add this to the list!) and I think the tendons are irritated, which is passing on the stress to the muscle on the inside of my shin/calf. My actual shin doesn't hurt, it's the muscle next to it.

Oh well, I'm off skiing next Sunday for a week, so I'll have a week with it basically immobilised and it and get its act together. Then itwon't be long togo! I feel like I have this huge obstacle to get past (the marathon) and I can't really see any further into the future, haha.

• I think if you don't focus on the time Lauren you might actually enjoy it!

Pyramid workout became a bit of a shables, I'm still just getting used to the Garmin and kept stopping the watch instead of starting a new lap image.  Fortunately I know the course well, and realised when I seemed to have gone too far, of the intervals I did time correctly (both 800s and the last 1200), my pace was just about spot on for what I'd planned, I caught most of the 400 and it was spot on as well.  I felt like my first 1200 was a bit fast but didn't get any of it timed or paced image.

Swim today, then aiming for a 24:25 on Saturday, going to keep it steady though.  The master plan is working towards a lung buster next week, then into a 4 week 10k plan, aiming for at least sub 50, but will train towards my predicted time based on myu 5k PB.

• Parkrun went pretty much to plan, 24:32; a new PB, but still something left in a tank. Keeping my big effort for next week.
  • Christ, you'll be sub-20 before you know it! What a massive improvement! Whatever you're doing, it certainly seems to be working for you. I'd be interested to know how much you've shaved off since the beginning of the year.

I have to say, you've been a big inspiration. I think you felt a bit like me last year, kind of stuck around 26 minutes and niggles/injuries - so I'm quite looking forward to get working on some shorter, faster distances after the marathon.

Speaking of which... 20 miles tomorrow. I've been carbing it up all day and yesterday, went for a nice swim this morning, then a yoga class (which I normally do post-run. It was quite nice to do it properly without feeling like my legs were falling off). I'm feeling  quite refreshed and as long as my foot feels ok tomorrow, I think the 20 miles should be kind of ok. It's followed by a cake competition, so I should probably sample a bit of everything image My contribution is a nutty, apple loaf. Yum!!

• Not sure quite how but I managed a 20:52 today! Proper chuffed and really excited for my next effort.

Well done JLB on another PB. You should chart your progress and see the graph line shooting up!
  • Amazing time Ewan, is that a 5k PB for you?

My PB was 26:27 set in November, Didn't set another PB until feb, now I'm down to the 24:32. What's worked for me is losing weight, when I set the November PB I would have been over 180lbs, yesterday I was 162.

Hope your 20 miler goes well!
  • No, my 5k PB is 20:36 but that was my one effort at Hyde Park, Leeds. The ParkRun at Bradford is around 30-seconds slower due to a little bit of a hill. One of my short-term running aims was to go under 21-mins at Bradford so that was a nice achievement. Setting sights on sub-20 before the end of the year as long as I stay injury free.

SO you've shaved nearly two minutes off your 5k time in four months? That's great work. That's nearly 24 seconds per km! My first 5k effort at Bradford was 21:37 in mid-November so I've shifted 40 seconds in a similar time. If only I'd managed 1:55 improvement like you...!
  • knocking 40s off a 21:37 is a different kettle of fish than shaving time off 26+! 

6x400m intervals tonight, 23min tempo run on Wed, and I'm going to set off at 23 pace on Saturday and hold on for dear life!

• Not a bad plan at all, especially the pacing for Saturday. I know that sub-21 pace is 4:12min/km so I aim to do a 4:00min first km and then 4:15min/kms after that. Think I did first km in 3:58 and second in 4:10 so I was in good shape early doors. If you can maintain 23-min pace (4:42min/km) for at least the first couple of kms then you can drop off after a bit and still smash your PB again - 2x4:42 and then 3x5:00 is 24:24. So anything better than 15-mins for the last 3km would pull you towards the 24-min mark.
  • 6 x 400m done, lap times were 1:30, 1:31, 1:30, 1:29, 1:32, 1:32.  Feet up now!
  • One of the participants who is taking part in our 5K Run/Walk event, is keeping a training diary on our blog to monitor her progress.

Have a read here - http://dougiemac5krunwalk.wordpress.com/2012/03/06/training-blog-jessica-halls-latest-post/
  • Cheeky little tempo on treadmill tonight as I won't be getting out to my running club. Reckoning on doing a sub-19:30 5k  - wish it was as easy on road as on treadmill! Starting from stationary, the treadmill needs to be sent straight up to 15.1kph for a 20:00 time so I reckon if I do 15.3kph with a sprint finish then I should do it alright.
  • Ewan and JLB - big well done on your 5k running times recently.  They are amazing!  I'm going to try and do parkrun this weekend, at my local park (which is rather hilly and not good for PB times).  My boss lives near to another parkrun location and he said that one is flat.  Will have to go and try it out at some point - although it's hard enough getting up and out to my local park for 9am, let along one further away.

I did a 10k Age UK event on Sunday.  In the same aforementioned local park though.  I was just outside the hour mark.  But I see that as an improvement.  Just outside the hour on a hilly course means I'll definitely be sub-1hr on a flat course.  I'm doing the London Bupa 10,000m at the end of May so still got time to put in the training.  Shin ached a bit after Sunday but not too badly.  Hopefully that is starting to move in the right direction too.

Lauren - hope your marathon training is progressing well.

• Heather, I'm doing the Bupa 10,000 too - see you there! Only problem I generally find with those kinds of races is that they tend to be a bit crowded and slow you down. Although saying that, the Bupa ones tend to be well organised - I did the Great Manchester Run last year and after the first km or so, it thinned out a fair bit. Are you travelling far for it?

Marathon training is going nicely. Surprisingly, I had a fantastic 20 mile run on Sunday, organised by my club. It was a lovely route along the Thames from Putney to Richmond and back again, so nice and easy on the shins and flat too image It's funny how calling it a "race" made it so different from training runs, even though I was obviously not racing to win, I did find myself trying to catch the guy in front of me (which I did at about 16 miles) and trying to stay ahead of the 10m/m pacer (which I did until mile 18). And because it was an out-and-back route, the front runners passed me when I was just coming up to 7 miles. Nearly everyone had a smile and a "well done" for me, so every time someone passed me, it gave me a huge lift. I actually ran nearly the whole thing - gave myself a small walk break every 5 miles at the water stops, so had a couple of energy blocks and some water then set off again. I REALLY wanted to catch that guy ahead of me!!

I felt BRILLIANT at the end of it (tired and sore, obviously, but super happy), so I can only hope that the marathon is as friendly and enjoyable. I'm REALLY REALLY excited about it now, wish it was sooner!!

• Thanks Heather. You should be good for sub-hour on flat, especially with more training to come before your next race.

Lauren, sounds like a good session on Sunday then - only 6.2 miles to add to that and you're done! Are you hoping to run the whole 26.2 when you get there?

I ended up doing my 5k tempo in 19-mins dead as I felt really good. Wish it was that easy in the real world on road.
  • Great Lauren, chuffed for you that your shin problems seem behind you.Most important thing is to make it to the starting line Heather so don't push those shins too hard.I don't think I'll ever get used to the tready Ewan, I also like to pat myself on the back when I go out in the wet and cold lol!Temp run for time done tonight, 23mins at 4:51, pretty much exactly what I was aiming for. Covered 4.75K, all according to the Garmin!
  • Great work on the times guys. Heather, you'll be amazed by how much time you will shave off by running on the flats, especially if you've been practicing on a hilly 5k. Ewan, the sub 19 is pretty impressive even if it is on a treadmill. Do you find it useful for getting you used to running fast or just good for the lower impact? Well done Lauren on the 20 miler, must have been good to do that with/against people as i cant imagine being able to keep focused for that long. How long did it take if you dont mind me asking?

I've got the Bath half marathon on Sunday which im pretty excited for. I've not actually been out for a run for 2 and a half weeks now but my legs feel fantastic. I can hop on each leg now without the shooting shin pain so I think taking some time out has really helped. I've been cycling to and from work each day which is 12 miles in total so still confident that im keeping my fitness up. Just got to wait and see for the time now...

Whas has everyone got over the weekend running wise?

• Good luck on Sunday Rich, sounds like you are raring to go!

I'm going to try to go as low as possible tomorrow, I've had a pretty good couple of weeks training and am hoping to get a big PB or bust!

I've signed up to Run Britain for some extra motivation.  Is that you I see in the top ten on the rewards ladder Ewan?  I'm languishing down in the 40s, but a big week could see me right up there with you!

• Rich - it took about 3 hours 23, which is pretty close to what I was aiming for. Best of luck tomorrow for the half - I find chasing people down a good way to stay focussed.

Good luck to everyone else doing parkrun this morning! I'm going out for a run in 30 minutes and I haven't decided where or even how far I want to go! Think I might end up running up to Richmond Park and doing a lap there and then running back which will be about 17 miles. I think I really *should* be giving my legs a rest this weekend, but I'm going skiing tomorrow, so won't be able to run at all next week!

• 23:34  by my watch today, was aiming for 23:00 but had a couple of pooring Ks, still nearly a minute off last PB.  I'm just greedy!
  • Richard - it's a combination of low impact training, getting used to the pace and, in the case of last Tuesday, allows me to squeeze in a really good quality session in a very short space of time.

JLB - it is me indeed! Should improve my handicap a bit more before the month is out as I'm hoping to do another sub-21 ParkRun (or maybe two) and should beat my 10k PB at Bradford on 25th as it is dead flat! Is it only the first placed runner who wins something? Or are there a few prizes?
  • I think top 10 each month in a prize, and top of each category, I think they have a prize for the most improved who has run 10 races or more in the preceeding year (I'm 3rd of these at the mo!).  Turns out Parkrun have given me the wrong time, they've stolen 12 seconds from me Grrr.  I probably won't be improving the handicap too much more this month as I'm starting to focus on a 10K in April.
  • Ah wow so I might win a prize! Good stuff. I will probably never be able to improve that much again so I guess I signed up for the right month! The only stats they had were for five of my ParkRuns and my Bradford half mara time, which was about 10-15 mins slower than I would run the same event now. I shaved 1:59 off my 10k time and will hopefully shave another 2:00+ off it at Bradford and I also ran sub-21 for 5k.

Hopefully we will both remain in the top few and win some goodies of some sort!