Options

5k Training

Comments

• Options
    Really good job there Deadbox, you'll have to start a new thread soon!  I run the Belfast Victoria Park Parkrun, the route is about 25m short of 3 laps, pretty flat too.  I put everything into today so I was pretty peeved earlier and fired an email as soon as I saw the mistake (I was very polite! It's a great scheme after all).  But ultimately I know what time I ran, and I hope to improve sometime soon anyway.  A more even pace is likely to yield better results.
  • Options
    Haha nah I'll keep the same thread, still be training for the 5k. I'm thinking about adding an extra run into my week somewhere, just another steady/easy run. Just found out that I'm only gonna have to be at uni 4 days a week til jan instead of 5days. Hopefully I'll be able to utilise my day off to get work done meaning my evenings will be free to carry on with the same sessions I'm doing

You are obviously capable of taking the time off so keep it up. Hopefully you'll be able to add in some extra miles at some point too.
  • Options
    Ran 7k tonight, right before my squash session, not sure I have it in me to make it a regular run though; totally busted.  Spibelt and MiCoach for the iPhone seemed to work well, particularly the Spibelt; had my iPhone and a full set of keys in it and totally forgot it was there after a couple of minutes.
  • Options
    Fair play, 7k and squash! I would die. Is the Spibelt one that goes around your waist? I've not hears of it.

I did for easy miles with a mate on monday. Tonight I did just shy of 7mi tonight in 1hr2mins with the club, sandwiched by a mile ride either side as my car failed it's MOT. Feeling a bit sick now lol gonna take a few easy days now.
  • Options

Yea, Spibelt goes around the waist; I was about to buy one of those armbands for my iPhone, but read that they tend to chafe after a couple of miles.  After looking at reviews I went for the Spibelt and a set of Sennheiser PMX 80 Sport II earphones from Amazon, and can recommend them both.

I've been taking it easy myself for the last couple of days (easy squash sesh. last night) as I have this 20 mile charity hike in the Mournes tomorrow.  There'll be no Parkrun for me this week!.

Hope you've recovered Deadbox, and that you're car isn't too sick.  I perscribe a steady pace for your 5k this week.  Have you managed to identify any more experienced runners (at least runners with a Garmin) doing your Parkrun who are finishing around your time?  Maybe you could pace yourself off them?  There were 5 or 6 guys last week who I left my wake in the opening 2K who ran past me in the last K when I was barely holding on.  I think I'll run on one of their shoulders next time. 

• Options
    I didn't run over the weekend, as I was on a charity hike all day Saturday.  I haven't done any running since Tuesday, but hope to pick it up again tomorrow night.
  • Options
    Sorry I didn't reply, I have had no Internet while I switched companies. The car has gone to scrapyard heaven image haven't found another yet so didn't manage to get to the parkrun this weekend as it's a 25min drive away. In fact, I took the weekend off completely; it was my little ones 1st birthday though.

I have identified a guy who in general runs just under 25mins, so I'm contemplating using him as a pacesetter. He usually does the same and comes from behind me on the 2nd lap.

Just done 4.71mi in 48 mins tonight. Finished the last 400m in a sprint finish against my mate. I think the testosterone took over haha

How was your hike?
  • Options

Hi guys,

I'm aiming at 25 minutes for 5k too, mind if I join you? I started doing parkrun (Brockwell Park in Brixton) in the middle of August and expected my time to be around 30 minutes, but I surprised myself by running 27 minutes dead-on. Since then, I've knocked 30 seconds off, with my last parkrun coming in at 26:33. There's a bit of a horrible hill which, as its a 2-lap course, I end up having to run twice.

My struggle is always with letting my mind win... it always tells me it doesn't matter if I walk a bit, but I know it does - I managed to knock 20 seconds off the one ime I didn't give up and walk on the hill, so I just need to try to pick up the pace on the hill now.

I'm doing the Windsor HM on Sunday, and then up until Christmas, I'm going to be working on my 5k time. Then it's into marathon training for Brighton in the middle of April!

• Options

Hi Lauren, you are more than welcome to join in. The parkrun that I do has a little hill which has to be done twice too image it's not too bad the first time around, but the 2nd time is not fun at all.

What does your training week look like? I think i'll leave the Marathon training to you haha

• Options

Sorry to hear about the car Deadbox, I'm no stranger to car troubles myself, I've been pretty much going through 1 a year for the past 4 years lol. Touch wood, my current vehicle is behaving itself.  Happy b’day to Deadbox junior BTW. 

Hey Lauren, are you following a particular training plan? I feel that I need to approach things with a little more structure.  I want to build up to:

8 mile long run on Sunday

8 x 400m intervals on Tuesday < need to find somewhere to do this, but I think that the Parkrun venue has 100m markings, but will have to ask someone from the running club who organise it.

Parkrun on Saturday - I plan to run this as a tempo run 3 weeks out of 4, and go for a PB on that 4th week.

In between times I'm going to try and keep 1 squash night going, and maybe swim on the Friday.  Depending on how my body is, I might still do some bodyweight excersices at home on days I'm not doing anything else.

I to have a bit of an incline to deal with (x3), depending on how I've run my first 2 laps I get angry with it and use it as a place to start my last K push for the finish line.

The Hike was a bit of a beast, we were lucky with the weather in that we had the worst of the terrain behind us by the time the heavens dumped on us, but the going was very soft and treacherous for the first 13 miles.  All in all it took just over 8 hours to complete, with a 15 minute stop for lunch. 
  • Options
    My training has been focussed on half marathon for the last couple of months, so I've been doing my long runs on Sundays - starting at 6 miles and building up to 11.5 at my longest run so far. Between now and Xmas, I'm going to try to keep running 6-10 miles at weekends so its not too big of a leap when I start marathon training. During the week, I do a speed session with my British Military Fitness group, which varies every week - we usually start with short sprints and then build up to tempo runs or intervals. And I also do 2 normal BMF classes per week, which is a mixture of running and strength/resistance training.

I'm not following any specific plan - just trying to fit everything in! I'm going to do a parkrun once a month, I think and for now, bump up BMF to 3 normal sessions per week and one running club session...

Monday: BMF
    Tuesday: 3-5 mile run
    Wednesday: BMF
    Thursday: BMF running club
    Friday: rest
    Saturday: parkrun or BMF
    Sunday: long run of 5-10 miles

We'll see how long I can keep that up for before I collapse.

My other thing is that I need to sort out my diet. I feel like I've lost perspective a bit in the last couple of months and actually gone from one extreme to the other - from eating too much to eating far too little. I think to lose weight, I do need to eat a bit more than I have been.

My next parkrun will be in a couple of weeks - the aim is going to be 26:15.
  • Options

You'll certainly need plenty of fuel to keep that up, I wish I could practise what I preach but low GI foodsmeals might be a good way for you to keep the engine firing on all cylinders.  The weight loss will look after itself.

• Options
    Hopefully will have a car by the weekend so I can do the parkrun again. Going to have a look at a couple later; why do they have to be so expensive? Or maybe I'm being to picky lol

I was thinking about starting an interval session, but think i will see if I can find somewhere in cov as I go back to uni next week. Also need to work out what times I will need to be doing.

Wow, you two are doing a fair bit in comparison to me. Looks like I need to pull my finger out and add the extra session I've been talking about.

It's hard to get the diet/exercise balance right. But if you are eating too little, it will have negative affect on both weightloss and training. I think that somedays I'm eating too little and then end up pigging out after training.
  • Options

I'm basing my pacing on this calculator:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/rws-training-pace-calculator/1676.html

Just stick in your 5k PB

Does your uni have a track you can make use of?  That would be ideal for intervals.

• Options

There is a track, somewhere! I think it's outside of the city campuses. Will have a look and see what times it's available to use and if it costs. Wouldn't like to use it if the athletic were out there though (wouldn't like to show them up haha).

I'll have a look and see what pace it suggests in a minute. I did work it all out before, but that was based of my original pb. Are you using the VO2 pace or speed form pace?

• Options
    Apparently (if i've worked it out properly), I should be doing each 400m interval at 1min47 if doing speed form and 1min56 at VO2 pace. Does that sound about right?
  • Options
    Yeah, it is a lot... I'm keeping the Tuesday run easy though (I have some colleagues who want to start running, so I expect it'll be run/walk at least to start with), and if it does get too much, I can always drop one of them for now.

For intervals, you don't have to use a track... fartlek is a nicer way of doing intervals as there's less pressure - on one of your normal runs, pick a point to run from and to and pick up the pace between those 2 points.

Jlb - I know what you mean, I know what I SHOULD be eating, but it doesn't always work out like that in practice!
  • Options
    Looks about right, speed form pace would be 400m intervals of 1:57 (according to my calcs lol), and you're 5k is a fair bit quicker than mine.  Fartleks are good, but if you want to be accurate in time and distance track time seems ideal.  I do agree it sounds pretty boring, and you'd probably have athletes mocking you lol
  • Options

Warmed up with the rugby squad and played some touch rugby, then intended on doing 8x2 minute 400s but stopped after 5 when I felt a bit of a hamstring twinge, seems alright this morning though.

Seriously thinking about doing an andventure race in late November so might have to add spin classes to my weekly routine, also need to learn how to ride a mountain bike.  Last time I was on a bike with gears, I think it was a Raleigh Grifter in about 1987. 

• Options

Lauren, just listen to what your body tells you. If it's too much just have a few rest days. I'm not a huge fan of fartlek, I'm a big geek and like to be able to see facts, figures and stats. So intervals are good for a saddo like me haha Although saying that i will change it from week to week i think fartlek one week and then intervals etc the next. Just need to work out what day will be best to add another session in

JLB, how mad that the interval times are quite close? But I suppose it's quite a bit over 8 intervals. What were you doing in between your 400s, rest or jogs?

I had a similar twinge last weds on my club run, think i pushed a little bit too hard and my hamstring was letting me know, was fine the next morning.

I did a couple of adventure races a couple of years back, was really good fun although was knackered at the end. I did the trailplus ones. I definitely recommend doing brick sessions if you are going to do one, starting to run again after doing 14mi of biking isn't much fun unless you get your muscles used to it. I had a Rally Grifter too when I was younger, that thing was bomb-proof...well until I broke the forks lol

• Options

I had a good day yesterday. Did 7 mile or so on the bike and did a very hilly 6 miles on the club run. I have found that cycling gently home from the club run really loosen's off my legs and stops my legs feeling a bit achey the day after; gonna try and keep up cycling to and from my weds night session.

Going to pick up a car tomorrow too image so should hopefully make the parkrun this sat.

• Options

Good job, Deadbox.

I did my last half-marathon training run tonight... glad I did, because it felt a TON better than the run I did on Tuesday night. I'm feeling much more confident now. Is it weird that I always feel like I'm running better/faster/more easily when I'm tired and hungry? I really had to force myself out the door tonight, because I wanted to eat something and as soon as Igot going, I felt like I could run forever. I didn't cheat and walk at any stage (practicing my mental toughness) which is a big step in the right direction for me and I was able to keep pushing the pace right to the end.

So, I did 2.5 miles in 21:50. Which is a PB by one second. However, looking back, the first time I did that route in January, it was 4 minutes slower. So that's a nice positive.

I'm aiming at 2:10 to 2:15 for the HM this weekend. 10 mins/mile is a bit quicker than I've been doing in my long training runs, but I think it's do-able. It is quite a hilly route (or so I've heard!) but I always think with hills, as long as you can keep going up them, however slowly, there's always a chance to make the time up on the other side with the downhill.

Will let you know how I get on... wish me luck!

• Options

I hope you have a great run this weekend Lauren, looking forward to your race report.

Sounds like a good club session Deadbox, remember not to go off like a hare this weekend. 

It was a lovely night last night and I was desperate to get out fo a run, but wifey had arranged to go and hang with friends, and I couldn't convince my mum to house-sit while the kids were in bed.  Had to content myself with some burpees and stair sprints.  Swim tonight, I'm going to treat this weeks Parkrun as a tempo session aiming for steady 5:30min Ks.

Good luck guys.

• Options
    I didn't make the parkrun this morning as I spent most of the night on the toilet image not feeling to hot today.

Hope your's went well this morning JLB?

Good luck for tomorrow Lauren! Rather you than me lol
  • Options

Very happy, decided wasn't going to go for a time just wanted to set an even pace, but I ended up with a 13 second improvement on my PB to 27:37.  I didn't push in the last K even though I had seomthing left in my legs, I'll keep that for next week.  Definitely think I have 27:15 in me.

Sorry to hear about your dicky tummy Deadbox, hopefully it will be short-lived.

• Options

Oh, God. My legs hurt.

The good news is that I finished it, yay! The (only slightly) bad news is that I was slower than I wanted to be, and finished in 2:20 (and the even worse news for my friend is that I threw up in his car afterwards - oops). I was right on the pace I'd planned up to about halfway (maybe a minute or two ahead, even) and then from 8 miles, it all fell apart... the hills were an absolute killer, and it got to the point that even the downhills weren't a treat because my knees and hips were hurting so much. I walked a lot more than I would have liked to, but even with hindsight, I don't think I could have done any more than I did - when I walked, it was because I HAD to. The course was really beautiful and scenic though, and because people didn't really spread out too much, there was lots of eavesdropping to be done!

From about mile 10, I was just ahead of a guy in a parkrun 100 vest who was coaching his friend round, so I tried to stick with them and listen to the encouragement. Yay for parkrunners!!

I'm very glad I did it, and even more glad it's over now... I'll be sticking to the shorter distances for the next few months and blocking out the fact that I'm signed up for the Brigton marathon in April. I'll worry about that next year...

• Options

Great work anyway Lauren, and a good storey to tell hehe.  It's you first HM right? so PB, yay!  Hills are a bugger even when they are small, I went out today and ran 13.5k, but the first 2k was all uphill, only about 20m elevation in total, but it took loads out of me and I had to take walk breaks after almost every small hill on the course (according to my app all the hills added to 70m).  Took me just over 1:30 in total; happy enought for my first time going that distance.

• Options

Well done Lauren, both on the PB and the puking in your friends car haha although i'm laughing, i bet you didn't find it funny at the time. I don't think i'll be doing a half for a long time.

You have both put me to shame, I haven't ran since last weds image. Went back to uni today to help with the newbie 1st years induction. I really should get off the sofa and go out for a quick run.

That sounds like a good workout JLB. I agree, hills are a bugger!

• Options

Ha, I wasn't un-amused... you know how sometimes you just need to get it all up and then you feel completely fine? It was like that. I was like a different person. I hope the fact that I couldn't stomach anything for about an hour after finishing hasn't affected me too much. I lost 2lbs yesterday, but I'm pretty sure that was entirely water. We'll see tomorrow morning...

Went for a nice relaxing swim tonight.  I don't normally tend to think of swimming as relaxing, but it really loosened off my legs. I was limping around the office today, but I did get away with sending people downstairs to get me lunch/cups of tea etc.

JLB, the hills are such a killer. They can really mess you up. If I were to do another hilly run (or "undulating" as they called it - whatever, it was almost mountainous in some areas!) I would DEFINITELY do more practice on hills!